Authentication failure with Netgear only

Started by El Bunto, May 29, 2009, 12:41:28

Previous topic - Next topic

El Bunto

Hi all,

For the past 14 months my connection to ID Net has been through a trusty EN5861 router.
Ten years old and still steaming strongly.

This morning, in anticipation of ADSL2+ next week, an ID Net-preconfigured Netgear DG834
arrived.  Plugged it in - endless `CHAP Authentication failedĀ“ errors.

Reverted to the 5861 and it worked perfectly.  Have repeated this four times and left everything
off for an hour too.

Confirmed user & password on the Netgear and tried again; still CHAP failure.  All settings per
ID Net are correct.

Back to the 5861 and here I am online again. 

Very disappointed with the `safeĀ“ Netgear.  Any suggestions to resolve  this prior to the ADSL2+
switchover?  Unfortunately the 5861 is not compatible with the new service.

Andrew

Rik

Welcome to the forum. :welc: :karma: You'll have a response from IDNet in a second, if not before I've posted. :)
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

miriam_idnet

Hi El Bunto,

This is odd, please can you call in on 08007012000 so we can take a look into this for you. Alternatively if you would like to PM me your contact number i can call you.

Regards,

Miriam
IDNet Support

Sebby

Tacitus

Quote from: miriam_idnet on May 29, 2009, 12:52:54
This is odd, please can you call in on 08007012000 so we can take a look into this for you. Alternatively if you would like to PM me your contact number i can call you.

Now that is what I call service.....   ;D

miriam_idnet

Hi El Bunto,

I can see where the problem is. Your password contains random characterisation which the Netgear routers do not like. We will need to assign you a new password and walk you through amending the configuration in the router.

I have also left a message on your home voicemail, if you call in before 6pm i can help you alternatively leave a message after 6 and my colleague Brian will be in touch.

Regards,

Miriam
IDNet Support

El Bunto

Quote from: miriam_idnet on May 29, 2009, 16:51:32
Hi El Bunto,

I can see where the problem is. Your password contains random characterisation which the Netgear routers do not like. We will need to assign you a new password and walk you through amending the configuration in the router.

Wow!  That's service!  I've just arrived home and the problem has been identified with no further intervention on my part!

Can I sign-up for a 10-year subscription?!

Thanks for looking into this, folks.  I'll give the support line a call on Monday and change my password.

Lance

Thats the service we are happy to say the little bit extra for!
Lance
_____

Sebby

Rik

Rik
--------------------

El Bunto

Quote from: Sebby on May 30, 2009, 00:12:28
Indeed. You get what you pay for. :)

Indeed.

It occurred to me this morning that this is the first time that a Technical Support service has actually solved my problem!

For the twelve years that I have been online, all solutions have had to come from other customers or from the depths of the net.

Well done ID Net!  And they didn't even need to ask whether my computer was plugged-in! :)

Rik

Rik
--------------------

D-Dan

On the three or four occasions that I've called IDnet support their service has been exemplary. That's why I pay the extra.

Oh, not to mention that I get better speeds than all the experts claim is possible (I'm actually heading close to the max 8128K sync now - less than 400k to go. Shame I'll never get there - due for the upgrade on Wednesday, so I don't care :)

Steve
Have I lost my way?

This post doesn't necessarily represent even my own opinions, let alone anyone else's

Rik

At least you'll see something from WBC, Steve, other than upload speed, I doubt I will.  :'(
Rik
--------------------

budfox

Quote from: Sebby on May 30, 2009, 00:12:28
You get what you pay for. :)

...or less sadly.

Not with IDnet, we love 'em, but for life in general, the rule applies.

Rik

You do get what you pay for with Donald Russell meat. ;D  :hungry:
Rik
--------------------

Lance

Lance
_____

Simon

I don't have T9 to blame now, and I still can't get it right!  ;D
Simon.
--

BrianM

Two new names to me, El Bunto & budfox,   :welc: and  :karma: each.
Brian

Take care of all your memories. For you cannot relive them.

El Bunto

Quote from: BrianM on May 31, 2009, 18:22:58
Two new names to me, El Bunto & budfox,   :welc: and  :karma: each.

OOh!  Thanks!

Just off the phone to ID Net support; password changed and back online in two minutes, now using the Netgear. Good work!

Rik

Rik
--------------------

El Bunto

Quote from: Rik on Jun 01, 2009, 17:52:39
Glad you're sorted.  :thumb:

One ( hopefully ) final tweak after discovering that the BBC listen-live radio streams didn't work with the Netgear router...

In the Netgear Advanced WAN Setup configuration I had to select `` Disable Port Scan and DOS Protection'' otherwise the audio streams cut-out and constantly buffered ( ``Buffering... Congestion'' ) whilst disrupting all other Internet-bound traffic.   With that option disabled, everything works swimmingly.

Posting this resolution in a message in case someone encounters the same problem.

El Bunto

Rik

Useful to know, but you are trading off some protection by doing that.
Rik
--------------------

Noreen

Quote from: El Bunto on Jun 02, 2009, 08:44:38
One ( hopefully ) final tweak after discovering that the BBC listen-live radio streams didn't work with the Netgear router...

In the Netgear Advanced WAN Setup configuration I had to select `` Disable Port Scan and DOS Protection'' otherwise the audio streams cut-out and constantly buffered ( ``Buffering... Congestion'' ) whilst disrupting all other Internet-bound traffic.   With that option disabled, everything works swimmingly.

Posting this resolution in a message in case someone encounters the same problem.

El Bunto
Having read your post, I switched on BBC listen-live radio (Radio 3 with orchestral concert) and am listening to it now with no problems. I have a Netgear DG834 v3.

El Bunto

Quote from: Noreen on Jun 02, 2009, 11:36:20
Having read your post, I switched on BBC listen-live radio (Radio 3 with orchestral concert) and am listening to it now with no problems. I have a Netgear DG834 v3.

Thanks Noreen, that's interesting ahd in line with what I have read.  I have Firmware Version V5.01.14 and the standard Netgear solution to the streaming problem is to roll-back to an earlier firmware, but I didn't want to risk that with tomorrow's ADSL2+ switchover! 

I'm much happier disabling the ``protection'' features.

Here are a couple of links for anyone interested:

Netgear SPI problems

Firmware rollback recommended

Seems to be a problem across many Netgear routers, not just the 834.  What have I bought into?!

Anyway, works well now.