WBC - successful connections

Started by Rik, May 31, 2009, 11:59:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

The profile is low for the sync speed, Noreen, so I'm guessing you have had a couple of re-syncs.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Noreen

Is it likely to keep changing over the next week or so, Rik? The last re-sync was yesterday morning, nothing since.

Rik

The profile should lift back up to 15M then, probably in 5 days or so.
Rik
--------------------

WillyG

Hi folks,

Is it safe for me to jump in now?  ::)

I need to increase my allowance ASAP as my kids youtubing is eating it up!  (I may have to switch to the 30gb package)
My line speed has never been much above 1300 ( IDnet have investigated and this seems the best I can get at the moment.)
When I put my router stats into the ADSL2+ tester it comes up with a figure of 19000 ish. Is this likley?

The stats from my 2wire 2700 router:

Down      Up
Current Rate:      1504 kbs      448 kbs
Max Rate:      1504 kbs      532 kbs
Current Connection:
Current Noise Margin:      8.0 dB      8.0 dB
Current Attenuation:      18.5 dB      10.0 dB
Current Output Power:      19.4 dBm      11.9 dBm

I generally lurk but I always find the forum useful.

Thanks.

Will G

Rik

Hi Will

The initial teething troubles seemed to have passed fairly quickly, so it's worth a go. You may get a bit more speed, but I didn't despite the predictions - it's really down to the quality f your line as well as the length. You will gain some upstream speed, and possibly get better latency (pings). However, the big advantage for you will be the extra bandwidth, without a doubt.

What router are you using?
Rik
--------------------

WillyG

Thanks Rik,

My router is:
   BT2700HGV

Hardware Version:   2701-100589-005
Hardware Options:   Wireless present
DSL Modem Type:   ADSL
Current Software:   5.29.117.3   
DSL Modem:   7.2.6

It's worked well for me so far,I hope it will work with ADSL2+ too.

Will

Ted

Your noise margin doesn't indicate excessive noise and your attenuation is low, you should be syncing at full rate with those stats ???

Have IDnet said why you are limited to this sync?
Ted
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Rik

Good point, Ted, I hadn't taken in the attenuation (mind's a bit elsewhere today, body to follow :)).
Rik
--------------------

Ted

My attenuation is 26.7 and i sync at 8128 constantly, those figures just don't tally. It appears to be a very good line, could something be "stuck"?
Ted

Rik

I've had a word with support, Willy, and it looks like you have an incredibly poor quality line, despite the stats, that's causing errors and that's keeping your speed down.

Do you have an NTE5 master socket, the type where you can remove the bottom part of the faceplate?
Rik
--------------------

WillyG

Quote from: Rik on Jun 18, 2009, 13:29:15
I've had a word with support, Willy, and it looks like you have an incredibly poor quality line, despite the stats, that's causing errors and that's keeping your speed down.

Do you have an NTE5 master socket, the type where you can remove the bottom part of the faceplate?

Yes. I tried connecting the router direct to the test socket with a high quality cable with the same results when I first joined up.
I've always had trouble with my line, I used to be with Homechoice until they started sending 8 meg then the line just stopped working.

So if I switch to ADSL2+ will this cause problems?

Will

Ted

I think i'm right in saying that you can switch back if it doesn't work out.
Ted

Rik

You are, Ted. It should be OK, Willy, but there's only one way to find out for sure.

What else is connected to your line, eg phones, Sky box etc? Have you tried a quiet line test, dial 17070 then select option 2?
Rik
--------------------

WillyG

Nothing else connected, tried a 'quiet line test' & it seemed pretty quiet to me :).

I give the upgrade a go & see what happens.

Thanks guys.

Will

Sebby

There is something seriously wrong there, Will. An attenuation of 18.5dB on the downstream is fantastic, yet you're getting results like your line is a 70dB!

If you've tried the test socket, it's got to be a line fault.

Steve

I saw that and then there was the comment that idnet had investigated,doesn't make sense unless there's a fault surely.
Steve
------------

Rik

I spoke to James about it, Seb. It's rated for just 250k by BT. I guess they aren't about to lay new cable, but I've never seen figures that good producing results that poor. I wonder if the line routes past a really bad noise source?
Rik
--------------------

Steve

Quote from: Rik on Jun 18, 2009, 14:54:52
I wonder if the line routes past a really bad noise source?

you mean something like this :whistle:
Steve
------------

Rik

Fond memories, Steve. :)

I know of one line, and it might just be Willy's, where it passes over a water treatment plant. After BT had put the phone cables in, the water company decided to site a new pump right under, and it generates a huge amount of noise. Neither BT or the water company will move anything...  :shake:
Rik
--------------------

Ted

I think i'd be inclined to get a second line installed, make sure it was ok and then cancel the old one. Not too cheap but it might work!
Ted

Rik

It is one possible route, Ted, but there would be no guarantees it would actually be any better. :(
Rik
--------------------

Ted

Quote from: Rik on Jun 18, 2009, 15:09:01
It is one possible route, Ted, but there would be no guarantees it would actually be any better. :(

Could it be any worse.  :o
Ted

Rik

No, but Willy could end up spending £100+ to get nowhere (I must admit that I'd give it a try).
Rik
--------------------

Steve

I think I'd look at mobile broadband coverage (I didn't realise you could get routers as well)
Steve
------------

Rik

Good thought, Steve, the routers seem to be fairly recent innovations.
Rik
--------------------