WBC - successful connections

Started by Rik, May 31, 2009, 11:59:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebby

Quote from: tpk on Jun 22, 2009, 18:34:47
Hi all,

New idnetter here.  I've been activated since last Friday and I think it's WBC so I thought I'd post my stats and ask for opinions on if it's likely to improve during the training period?

ADSL Link     Downstream     Upstream
Connection Speed    2230 kbps    932 kbps
Line Attenuation    45.5 db    26.2 db
Noise Margin    12.4 db    6.7 db

ID supplied Netgear A2pB023b.d20e

I always use the test socket.

Cheers,
tpk

:welc: :karma:

Those stats are very poor for attenuation of 45.5dB. You should be getting about 3x the current sync rate in an ideal world.

You've already tried the test socket, which rules out internal wiring as being an issue. Have you tried another filter? Is the Netgear running the latest firmware? Could you also try a quiet line test (dial 17070 and select option 2) and let us know if you have any crackling on the line. :thumb:

tpk

Hi quandum  :)

Hi Sebby.  I've tried a faceplate from adslnation and the filter which came with the modem.

The firmware is V5.01.01.

The quiet line test just sounds like faint white noise but no obvious crackling.

tpk

D-Dan

Try a shielded cable from faceplate to router - I picked one up at PC world for about £10 (necessary in my case since there's no power outlet near the master socket - and this is better than an extension lead).

Steve
Have I lost my way?

This post doesn't necessarily represent even my own opinions, let alone anyone else's

Sebby

Quote from: tpk on Jun 22, 2009, 20:13:02
The quiet line test just sounds like faint white noise but no obvious crackling.

The reason I ask is because I think your best bet is to go with a voice fault. It might be worth approaching BT and telling them that you get intermittent crosstalk. They usually then swap you onto a new pair, and that might solve your broadband issue. Just don't mention broadband to them.

tpk

Thanks.  I'll try a shielded cable and have reported the intermittent fault.

:-\

Sebby

Bill

My SNRM has been sat doggedly at 9db since I switched, with a sync at about 12200kbps and a 10,000 profile... came back from some shopping and noticed it had drifted up to 11db, so I forced a quick re-sync.

13434kbps now, fingers crossed that the profile goes up a bit before too long... :fingers:
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Sebby

That's the downside to ADSL2+; it's more susceptible to noise. On the other hand, you're sync'ing higher than is possible on ADSL2, even with a 9dB target. :)

Bill

Yeah I know, but I'm greedy- I want my 6db target and fastpath back  :P

Odd thing is, my SNR seems more stable on 2+ than it did on 2... dropping down to 6db on ADSL2 might have been a bit iffy, it regularly wandered around over a 4db range. On ADSL2+ the biggest change I've seen (so far) is 2db  ???
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Sebby

tpk

Apologies if this isn't exactly WBC specific anymore, but just updating the situation with my new WBCified service and longish line.

Assuming I have an intermittent fault (which I surely have), I asked BT but they've quickly come back and said they've tested the line, said there's no problems and warned me about a call out charge if I insist.

In my experience of this line, it obviously isn't up to ADSL quality (1500 profile) and could/should be given the attenuation of 45, but I can hardly risk the engineer charging me if the problem is not evident every minute of the day, so looks like there's not a lot I can do.

Edit for language - this is a family friendly forum!

Simon

I wonder how BT would respond to a charge from the customer, if there was a fault found, which had been impairing ADSL usage for some time?   >:(
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

tpk

I just don't understand why the speed I'm getting with the attenuation etc I have can be acceptable.  Raising the bar for what is and isn't a BT fault should have been in that recent Digital Britain document, never mind adding some tax to my shoddy old line.

Simon

Quote from: tpk on Jun 24, 2009, 16:30:45
I just don't understand why the speed I'm getting with the attenuation etc I have can be acceptable. 

What you and BT find acceptable can be miles apart.  Have you reported it as 'crosstalk', as Sebby suggested? 

Quote from: Sebby on Jun 22, 2009, 20:37:10
The reason I ask is because I think your best bet is to go with a voice fault. It might be worth approaching BT and telling them that you get intermittent crosstalk. They usually then swap you onto a new pair, and that might solve your broadband issue. Just don't mention broadband to them.
Simon.
--

tpk

Hi Simon,  Yes that's what I reported it as.

Sebby

The thing is, if you insist that you have intermittent cross-talk, then there's no way BT can tell you there's no fault found. Have an engineer out, and if they say there's not fault, tell them it's intermittent.

Lance

When I did it, I made clear all along the fair was intermittent both when reporting it and when the engineer turned up.
Lance
_____

WillyG

Hi All,

I've been upgraded today, a vast improvement - see my previous stats! (not as good as most of you but much better than I was expecting)

And my router stats
                               Down      Up
Current Rate:             8382 kbs      555 kbs
Max Rate:                     8382 kbs      556 kbs
Current Connection:
Current Noise Margin:      8.2 dB      5.5 dB
Current Attenuation:      21.1 dB      7.3 dB
Current Output Power:      20.7 dBm      12.5 dBm

It's odd that my download speed has improved much more than the upload.

Also can anyone explain why my line is so bad ( the BT wholesale checker says that it may not support a 256k fixed connection) but my neighbours on either side can expect 10 meg?

Thanks

WillyG

Sebby

You should actually be able to sync at about 16Mb with attenuation of 21dB. Have you tried the test socket?

VaderDSL

Think mine has stabilised :)

ADSL Link          
Downstream - 16928 kbps    
Upstream - 1228 kbps
Line Attenuation
Downstream - 30.0 db    
Upstream  - 13.8 db
Noise Margin
Downstream - 3.6 db
Upstream -   5.9 db

Sebby

PuncH

I'm posting mine as a definite success now. Has been very stable for a couple of weeks. I had to re-boot yesterday as the electrics were off for a little while due to a bit of work going on in the house and I ended up with a higher sync as a result :-)

According to routerstats I should now be on a 16000k profile, so I'm guessing it might take a few days for my profile to catch up.

Current stats:-

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    Your DSL connection rate: 18715 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  1227 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 15000 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 13777 kbps

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 18715 kbps 1227 kbps
Line Attenuation 15.5 db 6.6 db
Noise Margin 11.3 db 6.8 db

Simon

Simon.
--

Ray

Ray
--------------------

Sebby