ADSL line checks giving different estimated speeds

Started by bridgej, Jun 10, 2009, 19:47:47

Previous topic - Next topic

bridgej

I'm in no way thinking of leaving Idnet, but can someone explain this...

When I do line checks to see the available speed my telephone line will give me from different internet providers, the quoted figure varies so much, especially when the small print say 'based on information supplied from BT'? ???

I've been quoted anything from 2.5mb (which is what I am on now), ranging to 3.8mb from another and up to 7mb from another.

Even BT has quoted 2 different speeds, 2.5mb and 5mb depending on which of their sites I visited.

Should I believe any of them or just use the numbers quotes as my next set of lottery numbers?

zappaDPJ

In short, no and yes  ;D

They are just rough estimations and in my experience, wildly inaccurate. You could probably get a better estimation from forum members if you post your current router line stats.

You are also likely to get the best throughput from an ISP like IDNet that doesn't throttle as BT have recently been doing.
zap
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

kinmel

try this checker, it is run privately by the Founder of ThinkBroadband
Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

What is the date of the referendum for England to become an independent country ?

Simon

That's interesting, Alan.  Maybe I'll upgrade after all.  :)
Simon.
--

Sebby

zappaDPJ

zap
--------------------

Simon

Thanks, Zap, down to earth with a bang, eh?  :(
Simon.
--

zappaDPJ

Well you never know, the infinite monkey theorem states that a monkey hitting keys at random on a typewriter keyboard for an infinite amount of time will almost surely type a given text, such as the complete works of William Shakespeare. By the same token if a BT engineer flails away at random in an exchange, one day, somewhere in the country, someone will almost surely get connected to ADSL2+  ;)
zap
--------------------

Simon

Quote from: zappaDPJ on Jun 10, 2009, 22:47:51
Well you never know, the infinite monkey theorem states that a monkey hitting keys at random on a typewriter keyboard for an infinite amount of time will almost surely type a given text,

I've been working on that principal for years!  ;D
Simon.
--

bridgej

Quote from: kinmel on Jun 10, 2009, 20:09:17
try this checker, it is run privately by the Founder of ThinkBroadband

Thanks for that, according to the site I should get around 4mb based on my noise figures etc.

Roll on the 4th June,  ??? err 12th June,  ??? ??? err sometime before 17th June (2009 that is, I hope). No wonder nobody asks BT to organise a !@*&up in a brewery :mad:

Rik

It's been a farce, hasn't it. Especially when you consider that, originally, IDNet should have received the hostlink last July.  :shake:
Rik
--------------------

Lance

Lance
_____

Sebby

Aaron

I've tried that checker but its just giving me the speed based on the sync rate I've put in, which is nothing new unfortunately, since this link shows the expected speed you should get in your sync rate range. And I've had higher sync rates before with an added 0.5mbps speed, it just won't go there anymore now.
IDNet Home Pro ADSL2+ 4Mbps | Billion BiPAC 7800N

Rik

Some of the data in that link is out of date, Aaron, we carry the full current list here. It's perhaps also worth mentioning that the references to SNR are incorrect, ADSL uses a noise margin, effectively, head room rather than a ratio.

Your speed drop can be down to a number of factors, but it's quite common. The usual causes are degradation of the BT line, degradation of your internal phone wiring and increases in noise level, part of which can be crosstalk as more ADSL connections share a cable.
Rik
--------------------