Interesting development in France

Started by Rik, Jun 13, 2009, 10:38:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

The BBC reports that:

QuoteFrance's top legal body has struck down a key provision of new legislation aimed at punishing internet pirates.

The law, approved by deputies last month, gives officials the power to cut web access for those caught repeatedly downloading protected material.

But the Constitutional Council ruled that only a judge could bar people from the web, describing access to online services as a human right.

That could well set a precedent...
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Simon

I guess, if one is disabled and cannot get out easily, the web becomes a lifeline, and in that case, I suppose there could well be human rights issues in withdrawing access.
Simon.
--

Rik

I would find it very hard to function without the web now, and if I had to, it would certainly cost me extra in terms of purchasing.
Rik
--------------------

Simon

Indeed, and I share that observation, Rik. 
Simon.
--

Sebby

Quote from: Rik on Jun 13, 2009, 12:09:51
I would find it very hard to function without the web now, and if I had to, it would certainly cost me extra in terms of purchasing.

Same here. Impossible, in fact.

Rik

It's strange how quickly it's moved from luxury to necessity, isn't it. :)
Rik
--------------------

colonelsun

The bottom line seems to be your crime is treated differently depending on where you live. Just a thought but why not divert government resources into the reason for illegal downloads, global price differences for the same product, staggered release dates as in movies, the same with DVDS, and watch as fewer people have little need for the illegal stuff.

It won't solve everything but it's a start.

Rik

It would be, but the Govt doesn't seem interested that their consumers are ripped off...
Rik
--------------------

colonelsun

Quote from: Rik on Jun 13, 2009, 15:38:11
It would be, but the Govt doesn't seem interested that their consumers are ripped off...

Perhaps too many of them are party donors?

But then, Britain as an island has always been treated as 'special' by the big manufacturers. We pay premium prices for cars, white goods, music, whatever simply because we're an island and extra expenses have to be taken into consideration. The double bed i bought for my holiday home in France was £400 cheaper than in the UK and yet they are identical....i enquired about buying another and importing it into the UK but was told French law doesn't like 'double dipping' by customers.

Rik

In many cases, software developers don't even bother to anglicise the program, but still want to charge a premium. :sigh:
Rik
--------------------

colonelsun

Quote from: Rik on Jun 13, 2009, 18:20:16
In many cases, software developers don't even bother to anglicise the program, but still want to charge a premium. :sigh:

......and yet the web is written in English, in the main.

Rik

Well, something close to English, anyway. ;)
Rik
--------------------

psp83

Quote from: Simon on Jun 13, 2009, 12:05:35
I guess, if one is disabled and cannot get out easily, the web becomes a lifeline, and in that case, I suppose there could well be human rights issues in withdrawing access.

I rely on the internet for my living. All the money i earn is done through the internet.. so if my connection got took away, i'd be screwed!

Rik

I no longer earn from the connection, Paul, but I am just as attached. :)
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Sebby

Rik

Talking of which, we had some more Donald Russell bacon today, it's gorgeous. To be followed by Donald Russell lamb in an hour.  :hungry:
Rik
--------------------

colonelsun

Personally the web has gone from an infringement in my life and there was no way you'd get me near a keyboard TO the web is so entrenched in my day to day activities i'd feel it was a civil liberties issue if it was removed from my life.

Rik

I was online long before the web, CS, graduating from bulletin boards through Compuserve and AOL (the latter only because I was asked to work there). I started online banking in 1986, and joined the web pretty much as soon as the first ISPs opened shop. Back in dialup days and, probably till about three years ago, it was a pleasant bonus to life. Now, it's a core function, like gas, water and electricity. Without the web, I would miss so much that I take for granted, and would certainly feel very isolated. One of the reasons I keep a dialup modem still is for that 'just in case' moment. :)
Rik
--------------------

colonelsun

A pioneer....that's what you were. While myself and others were dismissing the web as a stunt or just another invention destined for the junk-yard....you obviously spotted the potential and realised the better offerings the web had to offer.

Just about 95% of my shopping is done on the web, mainly because i like to embarrass salesmen, i've virtually stopped using Royal Mail and practically everything i do is checked out on the web first. Oddly i also became politically active in a way. I was so outraged by the Chinese blocking western sites i used to regularly dump thousands of proxy links in a Chinese chat room thus enabling them to bypass the countrie's firewall.

So the web has actually fundamentally changed the way i think and react.

Rik

I agree with you. It stopped us being isolated and being able to be fobbed off. Communities such as this enable us to check our experiences with others, and more quickly identify faults. Credit to IDNet for actually encouraging us to be a pain in their side when things go wrong. :)
Rik
--------------------

colonelsun

Quote from: Rik on Jun 14, 2009, 18:45:30
I agree with you. It stopped us being isolated and being able to be fobbed off. Communities such as this enable us to check our experiences with others, and more quickly identify faults. Credit to IDNet for actually encouraging us to be a pain in their side when things go wrong. :)

All credit to IDNET for supplying us with a forum. The only previous experience i've had with an ISPs forum was AOL, and that was full of complaints or subscribers asking questions because they were too frightened to phone customer services in India.

I firmly believe you can guage a company by where it's customer services or help desk is situated. Companies offering India as a one-size-fits-all- solution are clearly only interested in their customers for their money. That's why i bless every day at IDNET...this is how the internet should be.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Sebby

Quote from: colonelsun on Jun 15, 2009, 17:32:36
I firmly believe you can guage a company by where it's customer services or help desk is situated. Companies offering India as a one-size-fits-all- solution are clearly only interested in their customers for their money. That's why i bless every day at IDNET...this is how the internet should be.

I couldn't agree more. :thumb: