BBC Videos

Started by D-Dan, Jun 11, 2009, 20:07:51

Previous topic - Next topic

D-Dan

Are the BBC videos not working ATM, or do I have a problem?

Steve
Have I lost my way?

This post doesn't necessarily represent even my own opinions, let alone anyone else's

Sebby

Do you mean iPlayer? Strangely enough, I just tried to watch something in Firefox and it wasn't working, but it's fine in Safari, so I suspect there's a problem with the site. I didn't think anything of it because I installed Firefox 3.5 beta few hours ago, so thought I'd broken Flash Player!

D-Dan

I mean things like the newsfeeds etc. However, I rebooted to Linux and tried - same result - big white square where the vid should be.

I expect it must be their problem (YouTube works fine) since I've verified it isn't Flashplayer.

Steve
Have I lost my way?

This post doesn't necessarily represent even my own opinions, let alone anyone else's

Sebby

Ah, okay, so maybe my Firefox is broken as far as iPlayer goes.

I've just tried a news video in Firefox and it's working fine, Steve.

Steve

Wished I'd looked here sooner ;)

Anyway, I've been through an educational exercise on the mac a complete reinstall which was fairly straight forward.I get the impression the blame lies somewhere between the BBC FF3 and flash player 10. Safari seems fine though.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Sebby

I think it has to be the BBC...

Steve

Incidently re Safari. I learnt today if you turn on the Develop menu bar from preferences > advanced. You can get Safari to mimic any of the popular browsers and their versions, useful as a web page tester I presume or for a Safari incompatible web page. Not sure whether this applies to the Windows version though.
Steve
------------

Simon

Simon.
--

D-Dan

Still nothing here - but no problem - time for bed anyway
Have I lost my way?

Sebby

I still can't get iPlayer to work. I do wonder if it is FF 3.5 that's broken it...

Sebby

Downgraded to FF 3.0 and iPlayer is still not working. :dunno:

Edit: Phew, it's not just me...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbiplayer/F7331803?thread=6670908

Steve

FF3 and BBC iplayer on mac working for me this am
Steve
------------

Sebby

Sebby

More information about this on The Register.

zappaDPJ

QuoteSome BBC licence payers struggled to access the iPlayer yesterday due to problems with the Corporation's network connections.

Since when did the BBC manage to link Internet IPs to the TV Licensing database? That's rather a loaded opening statement I think ... at least I hope so!  :eek4:  ;D
zap
--------------------

Rik

Good spot, Zap.  :thumb:
Rik
--------------------

D-Dan

Working again tonight - seems that the posted thread got their attention and they fixed whatever the problem was :)

Now - what news did I miss yesterday?

Steve
Have I lost my way?

Rik

Lance got promoted. :)
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

That was definitely the best news all day (probably even all year!).