Why is it when I upload something the internet drops to 0/Kbps?

Started by netgem21, Jun 13, 2009, 15:22:34

Previous topic - Next topic

netgem21

Quote from: Rik on Jun 13, 2009, 17:17:52
Try Opera. I can't see why you shouldn't be able to browse with those figures. (Unless, of course, your wireless signal is the problem.)

Should I test it hard-wired?

Rik

Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

netgem21

Quote from: netgem21 on Jun 13, 2009, 17:18:51
Should I test it hard-wired?

OK just did ping/bandwidth test. One one computer I uploaded the file over ethernet (to router). On other computer, connected over Wi-Fi, internet did not work. After upload, internet was fine. Also, there is no (or very, very little) packet loss over wi-fi but ethernet speeds are around 200/300k faster.

Rik

So you're saying that with a wired connection the problem goes away? It looks like your wireless isn't coping in that case.
Rik
--------------------

netgem21

Quote from: Rik on Jun 13, 2009, 17:30:38
So you're saying that with a wired connection the problem goes away? It looks like your wireless isn't coping in that case.

No, the problem is the same over wired. What I'm saying it that it's not my computer, as internet is also unusable on other computers in the house. After the upload completes, everything is then fine - so it's either a problem with the router, IDNet, or MobileMe (the service I'm uploading to). I think others might have this problem too: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=9564224&tstart=0

Rik

It looks a bit like an Apple problem, doesn't it. Have a word with support on Monday, they speak fluent Mac and may have some ideas.
Rik
--------------------

netgem21

Quote from: Rik on Jun 13, 2009, 17:35:30
It looks a bit like an Apple problem, doesn't it. Have a word with support on Monday, they speak fluent Mac and may have some ideas.

OK, I'm just making a post on an Apple forum about it, will report back. Thanks for all your help everyone! Also, about the interleaving thing - you understand the data more than me - what would you do?

Rik

Ask for interleaving to be turned off. If it stays off, you'll gain some speed, if it doesn't, you've lost nothing.
Rik
--------------------

netgem21

Quote from: Rik on Jun 13, 2009, 17:38:05
Ask for interleaving to be turned off. If it stays off, you'll gain some speed, if it doesn't, you've lost nothing.

Oh right, so if performance depletes they'll revert it automatically without me telling them to? Also, how long does the process take and are you sure it's free? I read somewhere that the ISP pays £5 to BT for it  ???

Rik

The BT software will kick it back on if it thinks it necessary. It takes 24 hours and I've never heard of a customer being charged for the service - IDNet will look at the line and decide whether it's viable before they contact BT.
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Dopamine

Quote from: netgem21 on Jun 13, 2009, 15:22:34
Hi

Just wondering, I was uploading a 30MB file yesterday to my online file storage - however, while uploading, all my internet services stopped: browsing, iPlayer, etc... - internet was unusable, completely - no pages loaded at all. However, strangely, MSN still functioned along with the upload process.

I'm aware that while uploading, the bandwidth takes up some space in the "pipe" and I'd expect downloads to slow down, but I wouldn't expect them to stop completely!

I've got a primarily Wi-Fi setup with various extenders and a reasonable speed (see signature), bar a high-ish ping (any ideas on how to reduce that? ;D).

Just wondering if this happens to anyone else - thanks!  ;D ;D

Did you ever get a resolution to this? Mine is now doing virtually the same. Uploads reduce downloads to <50Kb/s. This does not normally happen to me, so I suspect it's a problem in IDNet's or BT's network somewhere. On the day of your original post, I could still download at +4mbps whilst uploading. Now my download is virtually useless until the upload stops, at which point the download immediately goes back to full 6mbps+ speed.

netgem21

Quote from: Dopamine on Jun 16, 2009, 22:57:04
Did you ever get a resolution to this? Mine is now doing virtually the same. Uploads reduce downloads to <50Kb/s. This does not normally happen to me, so I suspect it's a problem in IDNet's or BT's network somewhere. On the day of your original post, I could still download at +4mbps whilst uploading. Now my download is virtually useless until the upload stops, at which point the download immediately goes back to full 6mbps+ speed.

That's really interesting - can I ask if you're a Mac user too? Also what site are you uploading to? MobileMe as well? I'm trying to diagnose if it's an Apple issue, an IDNet issue or possibly a regional issue.

And no, sadly no resolution as of yet - however, I filed an interleaving request today so I'll see if that makes any difference.

Hope you have better luck than I have with this issue!  ;D

Dopamine

I'm a PC user. The problem occurs with every upload I've tried: email, an FTP site I use, and to Photobucket. Downloads slow to a crawl, even a blank Google page takes an age to open. Absolutely nothing else has changed, and it was all working fine earlier today.

netgem21

Quote from: Dopamine on Jun 16, 2009, 23:09:23
I'm a PC user. The problem occurs with every upload I've tried: email, an FTP site I use, and to Photobucket. Downloads slow to a crawl, even a blank Google page takes an age to open. Absolutely nothing else has changed, and it was all working fine earlier today.

Yep, that's exactly the same as it is for me - any ideas, anyone? I'm guessing it's some sort of outage or performance drop for a few users.  ???

Simon

Have either of you been 'upgraded' to ADSL2+ today?  If so the announcement mentioned on the forum index may be relevent to you.
Simon.
--

netgem21

Quote from: Simon on Jun 16, 2009, 23:22:19
Have either of you been 'upgraded' to ADSL2+ today?  If so the announcement mentioned on the forum index may be relevent to you.

Ha, I wish - I am way, way, way out of coverage of ADSL2+ - here are two speed tests I did during, and after a 10MB upload. It's as if my connection can only upload or download, not both, at once. Is that even possible?

During 10MB Upload

After 10MB Upload

Simon

Sorry, it defeats me, but someome else may have an answer.
Simon.
--

netgem21

Quote from: Simon on Jun 16, 2009, 23:32:02
Sorry, it defeats me, but someome else may have an answer.

Think it's worth contacting support?

netgem21

Quote from: Dopamine on Jun 16, 2009, 23:09:23

Just trying to find out what these issues have in common - what browser and router do you use?

Thanks  :D

Simon

Unless it suddenly improves, I would suggest contacting support.  Just be aware that they may well be quite busy tomorrow, with this ADSL2+ fiasco.  :)
Simon.
--

Dopamine

I'm still plain old ADSL too. I'll be contacting support yet again if this is still happening tomorrow.

In the last 10 minutes my line has improved slightly, with downloads now coming down at between 500-800kbps whilst an email upload is in progress using an idnet.com email address.

Interestingly, if I upload the same email with the same attachment but using my own private domain's email, and bypassing IDNet's smpt server by using smptout.secureserver.net, it uploads at full speed and I can download at full speed too, which would appear to suggest that it's definitely something awry in IDNet's network.

I use Avant browser (IE based) and a Netgear DG834PN, hardwired to the PC I'm on at the moment. Same problem happens with machines connected wirelessly though. Both Vista and XP.

Gary

No issue here an plain old ADSL pings are 29ms, uploads are running fine as far as I can see, throughput is 6584 and I am using wireless to my DG834N,  all seems ok here  :dunno: this is on gw5, I think its just the folks on ADSL2+ with the issues as far as I can see sadly.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Dopamine

Quote from: Gary on Jun 17, 2009, 00:02:16
No issue here an plain old ADSL pings are 29ms, uploads are running fine as far as I can see, throughput is 6584 and I am using wireless to my DG834N,  all seems ok here  :dunno: this is on gw5, I think its just the folks on ADSL2+ with the issues as far as I can see sadly.

Not the same thing. Speed issues are affecting ADSL2+. My and Netgem21's problem is that we can only upload or download, not do both at the same time.