ADSL2+ Very Slow

Started by bridgej, Jun 16, 2009, 20:20:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Noreen

However I can't get on the BT test site to see if it's changed. :rant2:

Rik

I can:

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    Your DSL connection rate: 3844 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  760 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 3000 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 2757 kbps

OK, for me that's good, stop sniggering. ;D
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

bridgej

Quote from: Rik on Jun 17, 2009, 17:23:56
Still not brilliant for that attenuation, but it does suggest that somehing in your internal phone wiring is adding noise. Do you have hard-wired extensions, and if you do, what's connected to them. Also, if you do, is the ring wire connected, usually it's orange white, but it's the wire on terminal 3. Remove it on each socket, leaving just terminals 2 & 5 connected. These should be a pair, eg blue/white and white/blue.

There are only 2 connections on the socket...a white with blue dots and a blue wire with white dots are connected to them. The other cables are not connected.

The router comes off an ADSL extension cable plugged directly into the master socket. The cable passes no electrical items to the router. What else can cause noise?

The only thing the cable comes close too is between the telegraph pole and the house. That is a high pressure sodium street light and the cable passes within a couple of metres of it. The light is off though. If that is causing the problem, I can't even reverse my car into it as it is concrete post.

Rik

Describe the ADSL extension cable, will you, is it round or flat, shielded or unshielded. How many extension sockets are there and what's connected to them. Street lighting can be an issue, but you'd notice a cyclical effect as it turned on and off.
Rik
--------------------

bridgej

Quote from: Rik on Jun 17, 2009, 17:52:27
Describe the ADSL extension cable, will you, is it round or flat, shielded or unshielded. How many extension sockets are there and what's connected to them. Street lighting can be an issue, but you'd notice a cyclical effect as it turned on and off.

It's this from Maplins:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=97677

bridgej

Rik

It should be OK, though 6m is longer than I would recommend.
Rik
--------------------

bridgej

There are no other extension sockets. I have my phone (DECT Extensions) and sky box connected via the master socket using a filter

Rik

If you don't need to plug the Sky box in, try leaving it unplugged. Keep the DECT base unit well away from the router.
Rik
--------------------

bridgej

Quote from: Rik on Jun 17, 2009, 18:08:49
If you don't need to plug the Sky box in, try leaving it unplugged. Keep the DECT base unit well away from the router.

Thanks for all the suggestions

Rik

NP. I've known a bad Sky box take out an entire street, so mine is unplugged unless I want to order a PPV event. Sky only police the multi-room installations. :)
Rik
--------------------