ADSL2+ Very Slow

Started by bridgej, Jun 16, 2009, 20:20:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

You may be right, Gary, very right.  ;D
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Gary

Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Steve

Quote from: Rik on Jun 17, 2009, 13:32:03
My speed has now dropped to 457k on a 3000k profile. :(

I think your going to have to draft a netters ADSL2+ broadband usage rota. :)

Quote from: Sebby on Jun 17, 2009, 13:39:10
I bet you're even more pleased you're going away now. :)

I've long suspected that the timing of this vacation was deliberately picked. >:D
Steve
------------

Rik

Quote from: stevethegas on Jun 17, 2009, 13:57:06
I think your going to have to draft a netters ADSL2+ broadband usage rota. :)

You may not be kidding, Steve. Mind you, Miriam is getting about 20M. I think strings are being pulled. ;D

I've long suspected that the timing of this vacation was deliberately picked. >:D

Be fair, I planned this before the WBC dates were known, and if BT hadn't messed up the orders, I would have been here for 10 days after launch. That said, however, I'm beginning to see the delay as lucky!  :evil:
Rik
--------------------

Steve

It would be nice if they get it sorted before your're away,if only for peace of mind's sake :fingers:
Steve
------------

Rik

It would, Steve, but I have a feeling that WBC will have more birthing pains than ADSL Max did. :sigh:
Rik
--------------------

weemee

My speed issues appear to have largely cleared now.  Done a quick bit of testing at home on various speed testers.  Got a download going at about 1mb/sec.  Not fantastic with the sync I have, but better than the crawl yesterday!

Weemee

Rik

Mine was fine this morning, 2900 on a 3000 profile, now, though, it's down to 480 on the same profile.  :'(
Rik
--------------------

zappaDPJ

That's what I'm finding since switching, I may be on a 4000 profile but I rarely get over 1000 in real money  :shake:
zap
--------------------

Rik

It's a mess, Zap, and IDNet don't know why, at this stage, it's being so erratic. Most likely a mixture of BT's failure to deliver the capacity they ordered and issues with local exchanges/nodes. These birthing pains are likely to have everything but the stretch marks. :(
Rik
--------------------

bridgej

My speed has improved, but only back to what it was pre ADSL2+:

Results from http://www.speed.io
(Copied on 2009-06-17 16:29:37)
Download: 2890 Kbit/s
Upload : 738 kbit/s
Connects : 2658 conn/min
Ping: 26 ms

I'm guessing that's all I can expect from now on.

One question, does the 10 day rule apply after the switchover, ie for getting the best stable speed over the next 10 days, because if it does, doesn't that mean everyone is going to be worse off than before?

Rik

No, MSR will be set based on sync speed, not throughput, so the problems should not affect that (it's something of an academic figure anyway). What is your d/s sync speed and noise margin?
Rik
--------------------

bridgej

ADSL Link              Downstream     Upstream
Connection Speed    3446 kbps            776 kbps
Line Attenuation            50.5 db            29.3 db
Noise Margin            5.6 db            6.3 db

Rik

That is odd, I've got a 38-4100 sync on a 63db attenuation, with a target NM of 9db.  It suggests to me you line is noise prone - do you have an NTE5 master socket?
Rik
--------------------

bridgej

It's just the standard master socket installed 10 years ago when I moved here, not sure what type

Rik

Can you remove the lower part of the face plate? It's likely to be an NTE5 if fitted within the past 15 years or so.
Rik
--------------------

bridgej

yes it looks like only the bottom part comes off

Rik

OK, if you can remove that, you'll find a test socket behind that. Can you plug the router into that and see if your stats improve?
Rik
--------------------

Noreen

TBB down speed was 8.0MBs at around 1.30pm and was 11.6MBs at around 4.45pm, I can't get on the BT test site at the moment. There were a couple of disconnections (close together) late this morning but nothing since. However my router details appear to have changed a little.

[attachment deleted by admin]

bridgej

They've improved slightly:

ADSL Link                     Downstream     Upstream
Connection Speed    3638 kbps            835 kbps
Line Attenuation            50.0 db            29.4 db
Noise Margin           5.5 db            5.6 db

Rik

Still not brilliant for that attenuation, but it does suggest that somehing in your internal phone wiring is adding noise. Do you have hard-wired extensions, and if you do, what's connected to them. Also, if you do, is the ring wire connected, usually it's orange white, but it's the wire on terminal 3. Remove it on each socket, leaving just terminals 2 & 5 connected. These should be a pair, eg blue/white and white/blue.
Rik
--------------------

Rik

Quote from: Noreen on Jun 17, 2009, 17:19:13
TBB down speed was 8.0MBs at around 1.30pm and was 11.6MBs at around 4.45pm, I can't get on the BT test site at the moment. There were a couple of disconnections (close together) late this morning but nothing since. However my router details appear to have changed a little.

Can you remind me what they were previously, Noreen, I can't spot them. I had a couple of re-syncs today 11:50 and 14:58, very much typical of a line training I'd say. Your speeds reflect the time that the nice man from BT got the capacity sorted out, so hopefully will sit comfortably at the higher level.
Rik
--------------------

rireed3

My throughput is suddenly perfect.

Most of the day I was 2M to 7M on a 17M profile.

Support emailed me at 1500 to ask me to retest.  Now I get 14.7M and 16.3m.

BTW,
speedtester.bt.com isn't working for me either, except to report my profile.  These are from DSLZoneUK.

Richard

Noreen

Attached are the previous details made at around 8.30am.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Rik

I've noticed the u/s margin does seem to vary a lot more with WBC, and that there are often quite small changes of sync speed, I've seen just 3k for example. Those variations are well within expectations for a slightly different time of day, you're hovering between a 14 & 15M profile I think.
Rik
--------------------