Good news - June 17, 2009

Started by Rik, Jun 17, 2009, 10:56:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

Simon has sunk his teeth deep into the jugular of BT and, as a result, the hostlink capacity was increased overnight (it may even be what kicked me off the system).

IDNet and, I am sure, all of us hope that BT are as good as their word - but the acid test will come early this evening, as people begin to use the system in earnest (you may be aware that this time yesterday, there was no hint of the problems to come).

If you do continue to have problems, please post your issues in the forum, so that IDNet can get a view on what's happening.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Noreen

MikeSh

Phew! - That's good news -

It's nice to have an isp that is on the customers side  :thumb:
Mike
----------

Rik

It's good for IDNet to have their customers on their side too, Mike. Simon et al are as frustrated as hell with the mess that BT have managed to create.
Rik
--------------------

Noreen

I've just lost my conection for 4mins, would that be anything to do with IDNet?

Rik

I don't know, tbh, Noreen. I lost mine this morning, I suspect as the result of the BT changes, though it could have been an exchange fault as both lines went down. :(
Rik
--------------------

Rik

:update:

My d/s speed had dropped from 2900 to 480k by lunchtime. IDNet have found someone in BT who recognised the symptoms and aid he could fix it permanently. My speeds are back to 2800-2900, so I'm hopinh he's right.

If you do meet any problems, please post with details as this guy has given IDNet an 'out of hours' contact number.  :evil:
Rik
--------------------

Bill

It's looking promising, 9.3Mbps and no congestion indications   :D

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results/id/124525004151067822210.html

Stupid BT tester finished the download then errored out (busy) on the results page... then refused to let me try again for 3 hours  :mad:
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Steve

Hopefully progress :fingers: as long as the he's not dedicated the hostlink for your personal use. >:D Its a whole new learning process for a system that appears not very intuitive.

As individual apart from readjusting your own downstream margin there is little one can do. I did read somewhere that even this may not be possible on the BT system with a lock being placed on an individyals max sync somehow.
Steve
------------

Rik

So I've heard, Steve, not that I could do much with a locked 9db target and 63db of d/s attenuation.
Rik
--------------------

Rik

Quote from: Bill on Jun 17, 2009, 15:57:10
Stupid BT tester finished the download then errored out (busy) on the results page... then refused to let me try again for 3 hours  :mad:

Don't you just love that BT tester. :sigh:

My 'conclusion' after 24 hours or so is that I will gain nothing downstream, as expected from all the graphs I looked at, but have gained 300k upstream and, of course, a much larger allowance. If speeds hold up, it will have been worth the move.
Rik
--------------------

Bill

I was hoping for a higher sync... the tables I looked at indicated 16-17Mbps rather than the 12 I'm getting, but so far I'm happy.

Now if I can get interleaving turned off and (hopefully) the target SNRM dropped to 6db after the training period... I'll see if I can get a 10Mbps speedtest  ;D
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Rik

Go for it, Bill. I live at that point where all the graphs converge, so I knew what I was in for. Did you try Andrew's calculator?
Rik
--------------------

Bill

Yeah, Andrew's gave me the 16-17 figure, and one or two others I tried (can't remember where). The most accurate was the BT figure from the IDNet page, which was a bit of a shock because I've always found that to be pessimistic in the past.

When I first went to an 8Meg line it predicted 6-6.5Mbps, and I got a rock-solid 8128 with 2 or 3 db spare... gone down since of course, with more and more people on broadband.
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Rik

That's part of the problem, imo, Bill, crosstalk has gone up in BT's cables by a huge amount when I look back at my line stats over the past three years (yes, I am anal enough to keep records ;D)
Rik
--------------------

Steve

Quote from: Rik on Jun 17, 2009, 16:09:17
So I've heard, Steve, not that I could do much with a locked 9db target and 63db of d/s attenuation.

When things have stabilized would forcing ADSL2 give enough to up your profile.
Steve
------------

Rik

I don't think the 2700 can, can it, Steve?
Rik
--------------------

Steve

No it can't, you'd have to try something like a 585v6. I have seen results posted from a billion which achieved far higher sync rates on a long line with ADSL2 compared with ADSL2+. Not sure whether netgears are capable unless the DGTeam firmware allows it.
Steve
------------

Rik

It might be worth a play, Steve. Remind me next month when I'm all sun-tanned (or rusty!). ;D
Rik
--------------------

Steve

I will, I'll have to look in my adsl router "museum"to see if any are compatible  with ADSL2. Hopefully I wont be rusty (just knackered)as off walking in an uphill direction (massif central) in Languedoc for the whole of next week.
Steve
------------

Noreen

Quote from: Bill on Jun 17, 2009, 15:57:10
That's what happened to me. >:(

Rik

You'd think by now they'd have got it to work, wouldn't you. :sigh:
Rik
--------------------

Ray

Quote from: Rik on Jun 17, 2009, 17:02:36
It might be worth a play, Steve. Remind me next month when I'm all sun-tanned (or rusty!). ;D

More likely rusty in the UK, Rik.  ;D :whistle:
Ray
--------------------

Rik

Rik
--------------------

rireed3

QuoteMy throughput is suddenly perfect.

This I posted on the 'slow ADSL2+' topic at 17:31:52

here

Richard