Good news - June 17, 2009

Started by Rik, Jun 17, 2009, 10:56:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

Sorry, missed that. It looks like the nice man from BT did know what he was doing. This time yesterday I was falling asleep waiting for pages to load. :)
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Bill

Quote from: Rik on Jun 17, 2009, 17:54:26It looks like the nice man from BT did know what he was doing. This time yesterday I was falling asleep waiting for pages to load. :)

Showing a touch of contention here, but the decimal point has shifted up a couple of places since last night  :rub:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results/id/12452597098771525512.html
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Rik

My speeds have been stable since the fix went in, Bill, just as they were with Max. Slow, but stable. ;D
Rik
--------------------

PuncH

This is a bit more like it;

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
   Your DSL connection rate: 17987 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  1244 kbps(UP-STREAM)
   IP profile for your line is - 15000 kbps
   Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 13754 kbps

And after calling IDNet today just after 5 to see how my line has behaved (it had been on since 9.04pm without a hitch) I've had two disconnections in about 5 mins! Is this normal when the line is training? And, I believe it has sync'd at a slightly higher speed.

Maybe it's still finding it's level?

Rik

It is, Jonathan, you'll get some odd re-syncs, eg it connects at the same speed or higher, as it finds its level.
Rik
--------------------

john

Quote from: Rik on Jun 17, 2009, 17:29:09
You'd think by now they'd have got it to work, wouldn't you. :sigh:

I've not been able to test my speed with the BT Speedtester either, I reckon it's because of all the Idnetters trying to test their speeds too and it can't cope  ;D

Just browsing, it does seem to be faster  but the speed can vary quite a bit anyway.

Rik

I've been using the BT tester when I can, Namesco, ThinkBroadband, speed.io and speedtest.net. They've all been fairly close with BT and TB probably a little more conservative than the rest. What has been clear this afternoon and evening is that the treacle has been removed. ;D
Rik
--------------------

PuncH

Just noticed that my ADSL now drops every time I use the phone  :o

Rik

Usually that's a bad filter, Jonathan. It can be an esoteric fault called an HR fault, but the filter is the most likely candidate.
Rik
--------------------

psp83

Whats the best site to check how fast you "may" get when changing over?

Rik

Rik
--------------------

psp83

Quote from: Rik on Jun 17, 2009, 20:21:18
http://212.23.23.177/ADSL/default.aspx, Paul.

12mb for me, dont believe it thou, testers think i should be getting 8mb now but only get 5mb.

PuncH

Quote from: Rik on Jun 17, 2009, 19:15:09
Usually that's a bad filter, Jonathan. It can be an esoteric fault called an HR fault, but the filter is the most likely candidate.

That seems to be what it was thank goodness!

PuncH

I did see the NM drop to zero while I was on the phone to my Dad, that was at 20:28 but the call started at 20:20 so it definitley looks like it was my filter that had died.

Odd thing is it doesn't seem to have caused a re-sync as the router uptime didn't reset.

psp83

My noise margin drops to 0 when the phone is used, it used to disconnect me. I tried about 20 filters (even to top end range) and nothing worked. I then double filtered and that stopped it.

Might help you more if you try doubling your filters (esp on sky boxes)

Bill

Quote from: PuncH on Jun 17, 2009, 21:20:26
I did see the NM drop to zero while I was on the phone to my Dad, that was at 20:28 but the call started at 20:20 so it definitley looks like it was my filter that had died.

Odd thing is it doesn't seem to have caused a re-sync as the router uptime didn't reset.

Some routers hang on more grimly to sync than others... my old LinkSys could sometimes go down to -2db before it gave up.
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

PuncH

Quote from: psp83 on Jun 17, 2009, 21:32:19
My noise margin drops to 0 when the phone is used, it used to disconnect me. I tried about 20 filters (even to top end range) and nothing worked. I then double filtered and that stopped it.

Might help you more if you try doubling your filters (esp on sky boxes)

How would I got about doubling the filter? Just plug a 2nd filter into the socket where the phone should go? I do have a sky box as well which I might just unplug from the phoneline!

Bill

Quote from: PuncH on Jun 17, 2009, 21:41:15
How would I got about doubling the filter? Just plug a 2nd filter into the socket where the phone should go?

That's it. Just make sure you plug the router into the first filter, otherwise you don't get double filtering and it won't work anyway!
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

PuncH

Quote from: Bill on Jun 17, 2009, 21:47:34
That's it. Just make sure you plug the router into the first filter, otherwise you don't get double filtering and it won't work anyway!

Lol, good point!

I will try it if I get anymore problems, but for the moment it's been fine since I changed the filter and I've been on the phone 3 times.

Simon

Quote from: PuncH on Jun 17, 2009, 21:54:22
...it's been fine since I changed the filter and I've been on the phone 3 times.

Have we told you about IDNet's Phone Packages:)
Simon.
--

psp83

Simon

Simon.
--

Lance

Lance
_____

Noreen

I did a TBB speed test last night at 10.15pm and got 11.6MBs down, which is a vast improvement on the 0.8MBs which I'd got the previous evening at around the same time. Well done IDNet! ;D

Rik

That's good. I suspect that we will see more speed variation on WBC simply because it's more prone to noise, especially crosstalk, and I seriously doubt that BT have upgraded with enough backhaul for the extra traffic.
Rik
--------------------