Which new router?

Started by Fish, Jul 28, 2009, 19:36:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Fish

Hi

I have a rather old Speedtouch 585 that has done 3-4 years of sterling service. I'm thinking of getting a new router (four ethernet ports plus wireless) and wondered if anyone could recommend a mainstream, reasonably priced model that is going to work with the new ADSL2+ 24 meg stuff as I'll be upgrading to that in the near future. It must have a proper firewall and the usual features like WPA and not just WEP for the wireless. TIA.

Rik

Have you considered a 2-Wire 2700, Fish. It's not, perhaps, very mainstream, but we have a lot of users on here who can help you with it, and there's another dedicated site too. Current eBay prices seemto be around >£15 delivered. The modem is very good, most of us find, and clings to the line like a limpet. It has a strong firewall, 4 x ethernet, 2 x VOIP and a USB interface. If you don't fancy that, then a Netgear DG834 is always a safe choice.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Glenn

:welc: :karma: What Rik said really, though the Netgear works with a wider range of BT ADSL2+ MSAN's
Glenn
--------------------

Rik

Where are my manners, Fish, welcome to the forum.  :blush: :welc: :karma:
Rik
--------------------

Ray

Ray
--------------------

Simon

:welc:  :karma:  You're not the guy from Marillion, are you?  :)
Simon.
--

Sebby

A more "off-the-shelf" solution would be a Netgear DG834Gv4, which is known to also work well on ADSL2+.

Fish

Some helpful suggestions to get me started, thanks everyone. Now to ebay ... Can't play a note to save my life, Simon.

Rik

At least he won't be asking for your autograph.  :evil:
Rik
--------------------