What service can I expect?

Started by Technical Ben, Jun 23, 2009, 18:49:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Technical Ben

Hi. I'm new to this forum, and hopefully will be new to IDnet as soon as I get my MAC. So I would like to ask some advice.
I have decided to leave my current BB provider because although they offer great download speeds, my latency and reliability are dreadful. It is almost defiantly due to congestion (they have not bought enough bandwidth off BT).
So I'd like to ask what kind of service and speeds would I be likely to get from IDnet? I live about 100m from the exchange, and it does not suffer from congestion. It is not LLU enabled yet, and gets 21CN PSTN by next year. Will this improve my ping/latency problems?
I'll post my line stats if it helps. I just want to know if my line is problematic as I don't understand much of this.

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:   448 / 8,128
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]:   0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:   12.0 / 7.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:   4.0 / 3.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:   27.0 / 12.5

I can sinc and get downloads approaching or exceeding 7meg, but usually get 6meg (when it's not a busy day).
Thanks for any adivce. :D
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Sebby

:welc: :karma:

IDNet promise no congestion within their network. Congestion within BT's network is unavoidable.

If your line really is only 3dB, that's the best line I've ever seen - if you're only 100m from the exchange, 3dB would be about right. Wow, you're lucky! You can expect to sync at the full 24Mb with ease. ;D

You mention that you sometimes sync at 6 or 7Mb, are you referring to the speed you achieve on a speed test?

Ray

Ray
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

rgt247

http://212.23.23.177/ADSL/default.aspx

If you type the line stats in the above link. This will give you a good idea.

They should be the fastest speed available.

Rich

Plusnet :P

Simon

:welc:  With that line, I think you'll like it here!  :karma:
Simon.
--

Technical Ben

Thank you for the heads up. I had no idea if I was aiming for a low figure or a high figure in the stats. I'm not looking for a perfect provider, just one that allows me to play games without getting kicked.  :-\
I don't think I can get 24mb as I don't think the exchange offers it yet. Do ID net need to install their own hardware for this (on LLU)?

I also have to figure out if my current provider are disconnecting me. If I order my Mac, I will probably fall outside of my money back guarantee period. So I've asked to be disconnected. Will this course problems? Will I have to pay connection fees, and should I ask for my mac quick before I run out of time (I have less than 5 days)?

[Edit] Just seen it's around a £45. I have managed to get my Mac code ordered. :) I am sad I am leaving my current provider as they have been so helpful.  :blush:

Sebby

Ah, I'd just assumed you were WBC'd. The IDNet checker should tell you.

I think IDNet will be the perfect provider for you. ;D

There is nothing that IDNet have to do at the exchange. If you're currently on LLU, BT will have to physically move your line over at the exchange.

Lance

Welcome!

IDNet aren't a LLU provider, so until WBC goes live at your exchange, you'll be on the up to 8mb service. You should be able to find out when this is by entering you exchange name on a website such as samknows. 21CN PSTN is the voice side of things only and should have no impact on the broadband.

As has already been said, IDNet promise no contention within their network, so as along as your exchange isn't too contended, you'll be whizzing along!
Lance
_____

Simon

IDNet are not an LLU provider, they work within the BT network. 

Do you know if your line is WBC enabled yet?  You can check on Sam Knows, or IDNet would be able to tell you.  You can also check here, for an estimate of what sort of speeds you're likely to get.  If you are WBC enabled, you can expect speeds up to 24Mb, providing you have a compatible router.  If not, you should still sync at your current rate.  :)

Damn, those two type fast!  ;D
Simon.
--

PuncH

Hi Tech Ben

I've been with IDNet for 3 and half years now and I am a gamer. They're nothing short of excellent, for everything. Gaming, surfing, support.

A 5 star ISP if ever there was one and this is a 5 star forum where you can often solve little niggling problems without even needing to involve support.

Technical Ben

Sounds good. I do not get WBC on my exchange till end of quarter one next year. So if Id net run of BT hardware that's a bit more helpful, as I doubt any providers will be rushing to install anything locally. Although I'm so close, I wonder if I can run an extension cable and start my own service. ;D

I know the BT hardware is not too congested, as I can login to BTopenworld/fon/openzone and get great latency. I am reluctant to go for a capped service, however ID net do not throttle so it's a reasonable trade off. At least they are clear on their charging. Do they have a usage tracker for customers? I'm not a heavy user, just want to keep track to my bills don't rack up.

PuncH

Quote from: Technical Ben on Jun 23, 2009, 21:15:13
Sounds good. I do not get WBC on my exchange till end of quarter one next year. So if Id net run of BT hardware that's a bit more helpful, as I doubt any providers will be rushing to install anything locally. Although I'm so close, I wonder if I can run an extension cable and start my own service. ;D

I know the BT hardware is not too congested, as I can login to BTopenworld/fon/openzone and get great latency. I am reluctant to go for a capped service, however ID net do not throttle so it's a reasonable trade off. At least they are clear on their charging. Do they have a usage tracker for customers? I'm not a heavy user, just want to keep track to my bills don't rack up.

Yep they have a usage tracker and they email you if you're getting close to your limit. If you do go over your limit they only charge £1 per GB (or part thereof)

Bill

Quote from: PuncH on Jun 23, 2009, 21:19:58
Yep they have a usage tracker and they email you if you're getting close to your limit. If you do go over your limit they only charge £1 per GB (or part thereof)

Don't forget the RSS feed, so you can keep track of your actual and predicted usage.
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

PuncH

Quote from: Bill on Jun 23, 2009, 21:36:01
Don't forget the RSS feed, so you can keep track of your actual and predicted usage.

Didn't know they did that!  ;D

Sebby

Lance

You can find the link to it when you log into the customer area of the Idnet website. From memory it's near the bottom of the options on the left hand menu.
Lance
_____

Technical Ben

Thanks again.
So what router/modem would you recommend? Will a bog standard one do, or is there a particular brand that's best?

quandam

Ben

I am in a similar location as yourself (500 yards from exchange though). See my speed reading below that may give you a little confidence. :thumb: I get this speed virtually all day long :thumb:

Sebby

Quote from: Technical Ben on Jun 24, 2009, 18:04:10
Thanks again.
So what router/modem would you recommend? Will a bog standard one do, or is there a particular brand that's best?

Something like a Netgear DG834v4 (make sure it's a v4 and not v5) is a safe bet these days. :)

Technical Ben

Quote from: Sebby on Jun 24, 2009, 20:26:15
Something like a Netgear DG834v4 (make sure it's a v4 and not v5) is a safe bet these days. :)

Really? How do I tell which version it is?
From IDnet I only need good pings and reliable internet service. The added webspace is a great bonus. :)

[edit] Oh, and how does the migration work? Does IDnet sent a email first, or the package in the post?

Simon

Quote from: Technical Ben on Jun 24, 2009, 20:57:26
Oh, and how does the migration work? Does IDnet sent a email first, or the package in the post?

Unless you've ordered hardware, it's all done by email, TB.  :)
Simon.
--

Sebby

Quote from: Technical Ben on Jun 24, 2009, 20:57:26
Really? How do I tell which version it is?

Most sites state what version it is. If you can't find a v4, there are lots on eBay. :)

Technical Ben

EEks. My contract must be cancelled by the 28th. But the migration is active on the 30th. As I have given my mac already... how does this work? If I cancel today my provider says it takes a few days, and it will be cancelled on the 3rd of July (but as I ask for cancellation within 30 days I'm ok not to pay the full contract).

Does anyone have any similar experience with this? I might phone to "cancel" again then "change" my mind when IDnet plug me in... ;)

Simon

Sorry, I'm a bit confused by the question. Your notice of contract termination starts on the day you request your MAC.  Some providers require a 30 day notice period, but effectively, that's to close your account.  The migration can still take place ai any time after you have given your new provider your MAC.  I think that's right, but someone will correct me if not.
Simon.
--

Technical Ben

Thanks. They said something like that when I requested the mac. But as I was not sure if it was just when the switch was done. I'll be nice and calm now.