What service can I expect?

Started by Technical Ben, Jun 23, 2009, 18:49:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Technical Ben

Ended up with a V5 NETGEAR DG834G :/ But looks snazzy. Even comes with a filter. Get switched tomorrow. Still stuck with very high latency, so hope the switchover is flawless.
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Simon

Keep us posted, TB.  I'm sure the switch will go OK.  :fingers:
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Sebby

It'll be interesting to see how the v5 performs. :)

Gary

Quote from: Sebby on Jun 30, 2009, 13:57:17
It'll be interesting to see how the v5 performs. :)
Hot in this weather unless you stand it up  ;D
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Technical Ben

Yep. Yep. And Yep.
It's hot, only been on 30 odd minuets. Connections is running, varying speed, but it's early days. Still not sure about the ping, but I've got time to test it.

Thanks all.

[edit] PS, BT had a truck outside the exchange today. Lots of wires in it. I guess they are installing 21CN PSTN. Just another 9 months and it should be WBC :D

Gary

Quote from: Technical Ben on Jun 30, 2009, 19:09:08
Yep. Yep. And Yep.
It's hot, only been on 30 odd minuets. Connections is running, varying speed, but it's early days. Still not sure about the ping, but I've got time to test it.

Thanks all.

[edit] PS, BT had a truck outside the exchange today. Lots of wires in it. I guess they are installing 21CN PSTN. Just another 9 months and it should be WBC :D
I use the DG834N and thats warm as well and its desighned to be vertical, the smaller DG834G's run best using the vertical stand to help cooling  :)

PuncH

I've run my version 4 standing up since day one too. Still get's warm though.

cavillas

Quote from: PuncH on Jun 30, 2009, 19:34:34
I've run my version 4 standing up since day one too. Still get's warm though.
Aren't you feeling a bit tired then? >:D
------
Alf :)

Gary

Sebby

Quote from: Technical Ben on Jun 30, 2009, 19:09:08
Yep. Yep. And Yep.

Thanks all.

What are the stats looking like?

Technical Ben

I got between 3meg to 6meg download. Which is normal for me on an afternoon. But my pings were at least half when speed testing. When playing a game my ping is now 45ms to 50ms. It was hovering at 120, and spiking at 150 (and getting me kicked of servers!). BT line set to 7150kbps profile. Would be nice to max it out ;)

I would be happy with anything below 100ms. And I expect to get 50ms for a service I'm paying for. So I'm really happy  ;D
However I just broke something and the Internet Speed test website is not working.

Bill

Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Sebby

Ben, have a word with support. Those pings are high, even at their best.

Technical Ben

Going to try without interleaving on. As said, no idea why it's that high (although perfectly acceptable and great improvement from before :D).
I once for 5ms from the BT OPENWORLD/FON service from next door. And that's a wifi over ten metres through 2 houses. :P

Technical Ben

Well total thumbs up to IDNet  :thumb:
Turning off interleaving gives me pings of 10ms or so now. could not even hope for less than 100ms with O2.
Browser speedtest still gives me 50ms or so ping times [edit] I get averages of 20-30ms pinging websites from cmd prompt [/edit] and download of 6mb. But I'm happy if it's a reliable connection now.

I'll defiantly be recommending to friends.

Sebby