Why is ADSL Max trying to sync me higher after a power cut?

Started by Aaron, Jul 01, 2009, 00:53:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron

I've had a stable connection for 2-3 weeks at a sync of 37xx with SNR varying from 5-7 throughout the day, even the same through the night after my ADSL line training period a month ago.

I had a power cut this morning and once it was restored I was synced at a higher rate of 43xx, there was a further power cut at 5pm and then got synced at 4544. From past experience of my 10 day line training this sync is unstable at night and I wasn't surprised to find I got a sync loss to the exchange at 12.40am just now and synced back at 3680.

I don't like this behaviour at all, as it's pointless to sync me at a data rate more than 3mbps because it will eventually be unstable once night comes, or the following night the next day, and the IP Profile doesn't catch up in time to give me improved speeds.

Is there anything I can do to stop being synced so high? As it's causing unnecessary disconnections like the one I got now.
IDNet Home Pro ADSL2+ 4Mbps | Billion BiPAC 7800N

Glenn

Aaron, I'm not sure that there is anything you can do to stop it sync'ing higher, I believe that the BT firmware in the exchange will try to get the best possible speed for the line at the time of connection.
Glenn
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Gary

You could try manually re-synching early evening when you will get a lower synch rate, that may work, if you resync early morning it will always be higher, but left to its own devices it should find the best sync rate for you. Well that's the theory
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

kinmel

Install RouterStats or the Lite version and leave it running minimised to the system tray, monitor the noise margin and when it is 6Db or less, re-sync your line and it should set a reliable sync rate.
Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

What is the date of the referendum for England to become an independent country ?

Sebby

The problem is that your router will sync at a rate that achieves whatever the default target SNRM is (usually 6dB). Because noise levels are higher at night, your SNRM will fall if you sync'd during the day.

The best thing to do is try and sync at night if possible. You can also have the target raised manually, but this probably won't help all that much.

Aaron

Ok thanks, bit of an inconvenience compared to a fixed line, but will do that if I sync too high :)
IDNet Home Pro ADSL2+ 4Mbps | Billion BiPAC 7800N

Sebby

Unfortunately, having a poor line (like mine) and a rate-adaptive service can be frustrating at times. :(