Draft Standard for Broadband over Power Line Networks

Started by dujas, Aug 01, 2009, 15:38:44

Previous topic - Next topic

dujas

I thought this concept had died off several years ago, due to the possibility of interference to radio communications and questions over data security on shared power lines (although I guess IPv6 would help there), nevertheless a draft standard has been approved.

QuoteThe project will develop a standard for high speed (>100 Mbit/s at the physical layer) communication devices via alternating current electric power lines: so-called Broadband over Power Line (BPL) devices. The standard will use transmission frequencies below 100 MHz; it will be usable by all classes of BPL devices, including those used for the first-mile/last-mile connection (<1500 m to the premise), to broadband services, as well as BPL devices used in buildings for LANs and other data distribution (<100 m between devices).
QuoteP1901 will address the necessary security questions to ensure the privacy of communications between users and allow the use of BPL for security sensitive services.
QuoteThe standard will also comply with EMC limits set by national regulators, so as to ensure successful coexistence with wireless and telecommunications systems.
Source

Rik

If it works, it could be the best thing to happen to BB in the UK.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Ray

It would certainly be a kick in the appropriate place for BT wouldn't it, Rik.  :)
Ray
--------------------

Rik

My thoughts entirely, Ray. With some real competition - assuming Ofcom don't decide BT should implement it - things might start moving forwards.
Rik
--------------------

Ray

Hope it does happen, Rik, it's about time BT had some real competition.
Ray
--------------------

Glenn

As far as I know, I'm still signed up for the trial with Southern Power for their Powerline service.
Glenn
--------------------

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Glenn

They started a trial in Winchester, with the view of rolling it out across their region but I never heard any more about it.
Glenn
--------------------

Rik

They must have got caught up on the round table. :)
Rik
--------------------

Technical Ben

As long as it does not cause power spikes. Don't want my neighbours dodgy connection blowing my fuse...
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Ann

Shame the source is Wikipedia.  I really don't trust them to be accurate.

dujas

The source is the IEEE Standards Association, wiki have lifted the facts straight from their press releases.