Speed issues

Started by David, Jul 08, 2009, 11:25:48

Previous topic - Next topic

David

09/07/09 19:18:18
Speed Down    674.75 Kbps ( 0.7 Mbps )
Speed Up    378.42 Kbps ( 0.4 Mbps )
Many hammer all over the wall and believe that with each blow they hit the nail on the head.

David

09/07/09 20:39:16
Speed Down    482.07 Kbps ( 0.5 Mbps )
Speed Up    377.90 Kbps ( 0.4 Mbps )
Port    8095
Many hammer all over the wall and believe that with each blow they hit the nail on the head.

David

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
   Your DSL connection rate: 6592 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
   IP profile for your line is - 5000 kbps
   Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 577 kbps

Stating the address which I am logged in  0208xxxxxxxxx @idnet.gw6 is or seems incorrect and asking for more details ?

Tap2 Image not loaded

In order to commence the second performance test, you are required to temporarily re-configure your Connection settings.

Note:Before changing your PC/Modem settings, please note down your current Username and Password details.

Suggested instructions to do this are to the right, but if you are not confident to do this please seek assistance from your service provider.
   Instructions:

1. Go to the start menu, click Settings, Control Panel and the Network Dial-Up and Connection Settings folder.
  2. Select the Connection that you use to connect to your ISP.
  3. Change the Username to: bt_test_user@<yourISP> and blank the Password. For example if your username is joe.blogs@someisp.net, then change your Username to bt_test_user@someisp.net
  4. Set this connection as your default and click Ok.
  5. Double click the connection and wait for the message "Connected".
  6. Once this has successfully Connected, click the button below:

Does this give any indication what the problem is ?

I have never seen this so Im unsure the next move  ???

Glenn

Doing the 2nd test as described, gets you to log on to the BT system, by passing IDNet I believe David
Glenn
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

David

Thanks Glenn,Im not confident enough to do the second so I will just leave it for James it may show some indication of what the issue is....thanks again

rireed3

The second test is sort of a rare privilege and is the result of your very low throughput test compared to your 5000 profile.

All it means is that when you see the second test, you have to leave the prompt open and also open up the router user-interface in another browser window and change the login.  If it were my router, I would click 'disconnect' for the router login, change the username (save or remember your real one) to bt_test_user (leave the '@...' alone -- the instructions say to blank the password, and again you'll need the password again later), save it and click connect.  Then go back to the bt speedtester prompt you left open before and continue with the second test.

The second test will record a test through BT's system without IDNet, I'm pretty sure.

There used to be a third test, but I've never seen it.  You'll get prompted to put your router back to IDNet at some point.

Richard

Steve

I think its similar to here from kitz

Having tried it I get to a page with just a banner and no additional functions (FF and Safari)

http://www.bt.net/digitaldemo using router login bt_test_user@idnet.net
Steve
------------

David

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
   Your DSL connection rate: 6592 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
   Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1081 kbps

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.

If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your ISP for assistance.

Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester.

This is the last one posted here guys....... :shake:

Rik

Any word from support, David?
Rik
--------------------

David

Just got off the phone as pages are starting to time out spoke with Tim and awaiting a call from James as I dont fancy another weekend of this they will look at thread but Im begining to give up on this  and wonder if there is a remedy

Rik

There's a remedy, David, it's just a matter of tracking it down.
Rik
--------------------

David

Needle and haystack springs to mind

Rik

Have faith, David, IDNet will work it out for you.
Rik
--------------------

David

Hope so I dont want to move  :fingers:

Rik

OK, something for you to try. Boot to safe mode with network support. Then hit Start > Run > CMD and hit enter. In the 'DOS' window, type netstat -b then right click on the title bar, choose Edit  > Select All and hit enter. Paste the results into Notepad.

Now run a BT speedtest, and copy those results and the earlier netstat results to support. That will narrow the search for the congestion.
Rik
--------------------

David

Quote from: Rik on Jul 10, 2009, 13:22:48
OK, something for you to try. Boot to safe mode with network support. Then hit Start > Run > CMD and hit enter. In the 'DOS' window, type netstat -b then right click on the title bar, choose Edit  > Select All and hit enter. Paste the results into Notepad.

Now run a BT speedtest, and copy those results and the earlier netstat results to support. That will narrow the search for the congestion.

Thanks Rik looks frightening but will try it have just carried out a BT test so will have to wait for the next test. Thanks again

Rik

Give it three hours, then re-boot, and keep hitting f8 during the boot process until you get the menu of choices. After that, apart from the low-res screen, you'll find things pretty normal. :)
Rik
--------------------

David

Thanks just read up on it and it seems pretty straight foward  :thumb:

David

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    Your DSL connection rate: 6592 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 274 kbps
:rant2:

Rik

Was that in safe mode, David? What did the netstat -b show?
Rik
--------------------

David

No Rik it was normal.its the same at the moment .

Rik

Have you tried the safe mode test?
Rik
--------------------

wecpcs

Quote from: badpianoplayer on Jul 10, 2009, 22:36:59
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    Your DSL connection rate: 6592 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 274 kbps
:rant2:

I had a similar problem before switching to Idnet from ZEN, with a very brief time with O2 access (1 day before I requested my MAC), where I had an 8128/448 connection, with a profile of 7150 and a throughput of ZERO. ZEN wanted me to accept a possible charge for a BT visit, which I refused and the problem whatever it was, was fixed by BT anyway the day before I briefly migrated to O2, but was too late to stop the migration.

Colin

David

Going to try an company called AAISP They claim they will fix any problem with the line and if they cant will cancel the contract which is a 30 day one so not too much of a gamble and they look good enough for me to try..

zappaDPJ

If I switch they would be at the top of my list. I'll be interested to hear how you get on and wish you the best of luck.
zap
--------------------