Odd IP Address / connection issues

Started by James_D, Jul 10, 2009, 22:54:56

Previous topic - Next topic

James_D

Hi,

It's a bad time to realise something odd being on a weekend and all so thought I'd try you lot out first ;-)
I reccomended my brother to IDnet a few months back and he's been having some issues with skype calls / video, he contected support last week and interlacing was removed permenantly to try and fix the breaking up he is getting.

However it's still going on and this is where I come in  ;D after speaking to him on skype for 15 mins everything was ok then it broke up, I noticed I'd notched up a few errored seconds so assumed it was me, waited till it settled and reconencted but he still couldnt hear me, I went on to TS (teamspeak) my connection was fine and everyone could hear me crystal clear but my brother could still hear me breaking up so I said the obvious "skype is s**t!" and suggested he tried ICQ.

It then dawned on me to get him into TS and see what his stats were like to the server, when he connected he was totally broked ip and I noticed something odd, appart from getting 24% packet loss! he was on a completley different IP than that he usually is he's normally on a 212.69 address with me and thats what his router is reporting but connecting to the TS server with a new ip of 93.89.XXX.XXX which is giving massive packet loss.

After trolling through his settings hes not been setup via  proxy connection or anything ovbious, it seems that 93.89 is an idnet IP but what is it and why's he been moved onto it and why is it causing a huge packet loss?

Any idea's appreciated, I've told him to ring in on monday with the info.

This is asside from my ADSL2+ woes ;-) 17DB SNR is deafening my router yet I'm still getting CRC / ERS god bless BT and their equipment :p

Thanks for any help.
James

Steve

:welc: :karma:

Sorry can't help you on the above, though puzzled by the router saying one thing and the TS server another for IP address.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Simon

:welc:  James.  Sorry, I can't help with the above either.  :(
Simon.
--

PuncH

Do you know what router he's using and if so which firmware version?

Sebby

:welc: :karma:

I'm not sure about his IP address - I'd say the likelihood is that TS was reporting it wrong. Could we get some more details about his setup, including the stats from the router?

James_D

He's on a Netgear DG834 V4 (broadcom chipset) on firmware 5.01.14 (latest)
Downstream is approx 3000kpbs Attenuation 52 Noise Margin 11DB

I doubt it's TS miss reporting as Im also on Idnet on a similar router DG834PN also broadcom chipsetted and it reports my IP as fine it would also explain his underlying connection issues, I've got to say it looks to me like a routing issue within Idnets system, he's also been connected to TS in the past with a perfectly stable connection and it was reporting his IP as the correct one.

Today I think I'm going to get him to turn off the wireless portion of the router and reboot it and see what happens, he is using a direct lan connection to it so doubt it'll make any difference but you can never rule these things out.

Thanks for the welcomes ;-) I've been with Idnet for 2 years now and mainly been a lurker on the forums.

James

PuncH

You know, I had a funny feeling you were going to say that.

5.01.14 is a mess and has caused untold problems with xbox live, Playstation network and skype (amongst others). The moment I went back to 5.01.09 on my DG834G V4 all was well again and has been for several months.

If you're sure he's got a DG834 V4 get him to download 5.01.09 from the link below and all should be well again  :)

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/271

Rik

Welcome to the forum, James. :welc: :karma:. TBH, I cannot come up with a single reason to explain the different IP, though dim and distant memory says we had one case of this before, though in a different context. Separately, I have one post in the forum with a Tiscali  :eek4: IP address attached to it, so strange things can happen.
Rik
--------------------

Steve

Netgear don't seem to be doing too well with firmware lately, as Punch said the latest DG834G v4 causes various problems. The DG834GT latest has DHCP reservation issues. One success is the latest DG834N which works very well for me and has solved my previous DHCP and UPNP issues. I would also recommend the DGTeam firmware as an option
Steve
------------

PuncH

Quote from: Rik on Jul 11, 2009, 10:09:29
Welcome to the forum, James. :welc: :karma:. TBH, I cannot come up with a single reason to explain the different IP, though dim and distant memory says we had one case of this before, though in a different context. Separately, I have one post in the forum with a Tiscali  :eek4: IP address attached to it, so strange things can happen.

I've given him the reason  :P

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Ray

Ray
--------------------

James_D

Ok I think I'm getting somewhere here.

I sent my brother a link to the firmware a version back for his DG834G V4, he was getting 500bps download! thats not a typo thats just 500bits i.e. an hour to get the 3meg file from the same link at the same time I got the file in under a minute.

So I uploaded the file to my IDnet space and sent him that link, hey presto he had it in a few seconds.

This odd ip is still showing in TS and not only that but three other ip trace websites all confirm this 93.89.xx.xx ip

Since reverting the router back to the older firmware I've had him turn off the wireless portion of his router, and change the manually assigned DNS servers (the IDnet ones) to auto discover and totally power off the router for a minute before reconnecting to see if we could get him off it but to no avail.

To me its looking more and more like an IDnet routing issue as the internal download was fine but externally things are very patchy and he's got a lot of packet loss, guess the only way to fix this is to have him call support on monday but thanks for the help guys.

**update**
Since the latest powering off and on of the router the ip address the router claims has been assigned and the ip that I'm seeing him on are the same, still 93.89.xx.xx but more importantly theres been no packet loss for 30 mins, (the previous ip the router had assigned was a 212.69 based ip which it has been since he joined IDnet) gotta say this is the oddest thing ive ever seen but im tentativly moving it to resolved :-)

James

Sebby

Hopefully it's resolved, but if not, get him to give IDNet a call next week and they can look into it. :)