BT boxes

Started by Tacitus, Jul 15, 2009, 11:29:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Tacitus

On the gable end of the house there is a grey BT box some 4 inch square.  The cable from the pole comes in and the drop wire to the bungalow goes out.  Before I get a ladder to have a look,s does anyone have any idea exactly what this box contains?  Is the cover easy to remove?  Are the connections screw terminals or the push in (Krone) type?

I'd rather not mess with it since it's not in an ideal position, apart from the fact that it's considered very naughty to touch BT kit.  However BT want serious money for moving the NTE5 which would involve a new drop wire.   :)

Rik

Usually, they contain silicon filled crimps to join the cables, Tac. No idea on the cover though.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Gary

Quote from: Tacitus on Jul 15, 2009, 11:29:07
On the gable end of the house there is a grey BT box some 4 inch square.  The cable from the pole comes in and the drop wire to the bungalow goes out.  Before I get a ladder to have a look,s does anyone have any idea exactly what this box contains?  Is the cover easy to remove?  Are the connections screw terminals or the push in (Krone) type?

I'd rather not mess with it since it's not in an ideal position, apart from the fact that it's considered very naughty to touch BT kit.  However BT want serious money for moving the NTE5 which would involve a new drop wire.   :)

Do you have another smaller box where the cable enters the property, on our old house where we had overhead cables it  had a small box by the window where it came in.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Tacitus

Quote from: Gary on Jul 15, 2009, 11:44:29
Do you have another smaller box where the cable enters the property, on our old house where we had overhead cables it  had a small box by the window where it came in.

No there's just the one on the gable end, next stop is the NTE5.  Gel crimps - I was hoping the drop wire would be either screw or push-in.   Moving the NTE5 itself is no problem there's only two screw terminals.  it's the longer drop wire needed that's the trouble.  Sounds as though it's going to be a BT job.  B.gg.r!

Rik

There's only one way to find out for sure, Tac. Some are screw connections.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Tacitus

Quote from: Rik on Jul 15, 2009, 11:50:48
There's only one way to find out for sure, Tac. Some are screw connections.

You're right Rik.  I suppose a new ladder could come in useful  :)

Ted

You can buy new crimp connectors on EBAY just squeeze then up with a pair of pliers.
The grey boxes usually have a cover which is secured with a screw, when removed the cover should slide off. You might be lucky and find screw terminals.

Edit
You can see the box and lid HERE
Ted
There's no place like 127.0.0.1