Opendns

Started by Steve, Jul 15, 2009, 19:27:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

I have been using opendns on the macbook for awhile,noticed today browsing very sluggish but pings and speed ok changed back to ident dns servers and the sluggishness has disappeared  ???
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

D-Dan

Nippy as ever here - which is just as well since I took the OS out of the equation and put OpenDNS servers into the router last night.

Steve
Have I lost my way?

This post doesn't necessarily represent even my own opinions, let alone anyone else's

Steve

Steve
------------

kinmel

Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

What is the date of the referendum for England to become an independent country ?

PuncH

what's the deal with this opendns business?

what's wrong with idnet's dns servers?

Sebby

Never had a problem with OpenDNS myself, Steve. Their system status does show that there was a problem on 9 July, though...

D-Dan

Don't you just love when a free service flags up as a problem something that most wouldn't notice and was fixed in 5 minutes :)
Have I lost my way?

This post doesn't necessarily represent even my own opinions, let alone anyone else's

Steve

Well there's something odd I don't understand unless idnet caching pages somewhere,as an example with opendns browsing to www.google.co.uk takes an age with idnet dns servers its almost instantaneous.
Steve
------------

Sebby

Hmm, no idea why that should be, Steve.

Rik

I always found OpenDNS to be a bit slower than IDNet.
Rik
--------------------

Rik

Quote from: PuncH on Jul 15, 2009, 20:29:29
what's the deal with this opendns business?

what's wrong with idnet's dns servers?

It's an independent, alternative, DNS service, Jonathan, free to use and with some added bonuses, eg being able to impose parental controls at DNS level. Some people find it faster than IDNet, I always found it slower, but we are talking a few milliseconds here.
Rik
--------------------

Colin Burns

the only thing i dont like about IDnet dns is that it can takes ages for it to propigate new domain names which is annoying when u are trying to setup a new server

D-Dan

Quote from: Rik on Jul 16, 2009, 10:06:19
It's an independent, alternative, DNS service, Jonathan, free to use and with some added bonuses, eg being able to impose parental controls at DNS level. Some people find it faster than IDNet, I always found it slower, but we are talking a few milliseconds here.

Don't forget OpenDNS includes inbuilt "dodgy site" filtering - which works remarkably well (I didn't even know it was doing it until I had to troubleshoot NOT being able to get infected for my last round of testing anti-malware).

Steve
Have I lost my way?

Sebby

:iagree:

That's one of it's best features, imo.