a few setup questions

Started by coreservers, Jul 15, 2009, 19:27:48

Previous topic - Next topic

coreservers

when my line goes live, tomorrow is the scheduled date, I tried my router earlier and I could see an upstream and downstream speed, but it hadnt pulled an ipaddress or mask.
So I'm guessing it's not quite ready yet.
In my mail I was given a fixed IP, should I use that or let dhcp do it's stuff. also I changed my login password to see my account etc, should I use the given one or changed one in the router settings?
If you truly believe you need to pick a mobile phone that 'says something' about your personality, don't bother. You don't have a personality. A mental illness, maybe - but not a personality

Ray

It shouldn't be neccessary for you to manually enter the IP address the router should pick it up automatically, with regard to your password I am a bit confused as to which one you have changed, you could try them both in turn and see which one works, or perhaps better to check with support to see which you should use.  :)
Ray
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Sebby

You won't need to enter the IP address manually. If you're sync'd but you get no address, it's probably because you are activated by your IDNet account will not be active until tomorrow. :)

Simon

I think the password will be the one you have changed it to, as I changed mine, and that's what I log in with now.  :)
Simon.
--

coreservers

that's what I thought. as the errors in the routers stats page were  LCU is down and chap authentication error.

The password I changed was linked to my login via the customer login at the idnet homepage my.name@idnet.gw6, and as this is hard set in the router I wondered if I should hard set it to the changes password or the original one.

If you truly believe you need to pick a mobile phone that 'says something' about your personality, don't bother. You don't have a personality. A mental illness, maybe - but not a personality

Steve

Not sure, but changing your account login password does not change your router login password
Steve
------------

Sebby

That's correct, you need to change the password in ADSL settings.

Rik

Quote from: coreservers on Jul 16, 2009, 08:13:13
The password I changed was linked to my login via the customer login at the idnet homepage my.name@idnet.gw6, and as this is hard set in the router I wondered if I should hard set it to the changes password or the original one.

Use the original one, the one you have changed only affects your login to the accounts page on the IDNet website.
Rik
--------------------

coreservers

cool, ta very much.
i'm so looking forward to not being shaped from 4pm, and being able to get slaughtered by some 12 year old kid at pro evo on 360  :blush:

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Steve

If your previous subscriber was non LLU they often migrate in the early hours and for a short period both connections are often live
Steve
------------

coreservers

well I'm gutted
I'm stil stuck on this cr*p sky connect package tonight at 287k, and no migration has taken place as stated in my joining mail it stated by 6pm today.

Not impressed at all. I still cannot pull an ip address on the router set up for idnet, I get LCP is down and chap authentication failed. I'm presuming the sync I can see is from sky.

not impressed

Rik

I had the same problem when I migrated, BT messed up and I was a day late. I take it you haven't had the completion email?
Rik
--------------------

coreservers

as my 1st thought was completion mail? I'm thinking not. ah britain the only country where in a supposedly competetive coms market, the biggest player is allowed a monopoly of the kit.

Rik

Indeed. :( Call support in the morning, or email support@idnet.net, they'll chase it for you.
Rik
--------------------

Steve

I recall I was a week late,you get there in the end.
Steve
------------

coreservers

hmmm not mentioned in the sign up deals, that there may be delays. who ever it is as fault, it should be mentioned. I presume they'll change my billing details as well.

Steve

Its the system that's at fault, your present ISP generates a mac code (hopefully valid) from BT which is given to your next ISP by yourself,which is then presented back to BT. Who may or may not have to get into your local exchange to swap you over. Is it any wonder it sometimes doesn't go to plan. :fingers:
Steve
------------

coreservers

just me having a bit of a vent. I find broadband in the uk very primitive at best, having lived in germany, and australia it all runs much smoother  (and faster)there, and I do put the blame firmly at the door of BT and the toothless ofcom, IDnet have been pleasant and approachable, which is a major seachange for me in this country. but I do think this should be mentioned at sign up, and in the mail they send out. But that's just my opinion, faced with another weekend of sky's ludicrous traffic shaping. having viewed the sky user forum (sky connect being a repackaged BT home broadband product), it appears that many people have the issue of non movement, some up to a month, and ofcom do nothing about it despite many, many complaints.

Anyway my impatient christmas eve style wait continues  I'm not angry at IDnet! ;D

Rik

Trust me, it happens so rarely that no-one thinks to mention it. Most people wake up on migration day and find it's already happened. We're two in a handful of people in the time I've been here. Give support a ring, they'll update you.
Rik
--------------------

coreservers

seems someone has implemented a bogus order on my line, causign the migration to not happen, sounds like sky trying to block a move, although they deny everything

Rik

Rik
--------------------

coreservers

This is now really confusing BT say the only order on my circuit is from IDnet raised 13th July, Sky say no order on my line from them. however I did get two emails on monday 13th from IDnet. one with the login id as my.name@idnet.gw7 and one 90 minutes later my.name@idnet.gw6 , both from adsl@idnet.com.

someone shoot me  :dunno:

Rik

Have you got back to IDNet? I think I can guess what's going on.
Rik
--------------------

coreservers

I have. i think instead of a phone and broadband order, they've raised two broadband orders

Rik

That's what I'm thinking. :(
Rik
--------------------

coreservers

must be possible to resolve it surely

Rik

It is, if that's what has happened. You really need to talk to support and point out the two emails with gw6/gw7 logins.
Rik
--------------------

coreservers

I have i've also mailed the full details to support with times and dates etc. I have no issues with someone pressing wrong buttons or anything, we have all done it.

Simon

If you don't hear back from them fairly soon, I would ring, just to make sure they get the message.  :)
Simon.
--

Rik

I'd second that, get on the phone, it's a free call...
Rik
--------------------

coreservers

now down for 6pm monday. another weekend of joyless sky broadband.

Ah well, I hope the tellys good  :whistle:

Rik

Rik
--------------------