Your WBC experience

Started by Rik, Jul 19, 2009, 12:41:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn

So it's a one way only shift.
Glenn
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

bobleslie

Perhaps BT are throwing out too much before replacing it with the new?  :shake:
=Bob=.
Sky/Easylink LLU. Thankfully! ;-)

Rik

It feels that way, Bob. :(
Rik
--------------------

bobleslie

Trying to boost profitability, no doubt.  :whistle:
=Bob=.
Sky/Easylink LLU. Thankfully! ;-)

Rik

I think so, certainly that's the feeling I am getting from everything I hear.
Rik
--------------------

PuncH

Nothing short of excellent for me.

Changeover was smooth and once the line settled it was stable and twice as fast as my ADSL Max connection which had a line profile of 7500.

Sebby

Quote from: Rik on Jul 22, 2009, 15:08:19
Whereas I'm seeing re-syncs from a 9db NM, Steve. I think you're right, and I suspect the differences come down to the MSANs.

Which will hopefully be cured over time with firmware updates...

troesma

As for me, the switchover was seamless and quick, but it meant about 9 pages (so far) on another thread as to speed/instability issues. Guess BT is not thinking on the basics (aka infrastructure) because that's the expensive (non profitable) bit to deal with. So, they are chucking-in products until something, at some point, just breaks the seams... which is what is happening with WBC. From reading the threads here it seems the score is 8 to 2 on ppl with issues of some sort. That's telling.

It puts providers (as IDnet) on a tough situation as they cannot walk away from ADSL2+ (if they want to continue to attract custom) yet WBC is all over the place, at this stage. So wonder what the best course of action would be. If it is about managing expectations, then IDNet should consider evaluating any existing/prospective customer BT line performance BEFORE even offering the service (even if WBC is available in your area). So the parameters would be relatively short distance from the exchange, line testing, etc. Simple and I believe even if it warrants an extra sales cost, what you save in FTEs of ppl in support dealing with angry customers, or walk-outs due to expectations not met, more than compensates. 

Simon

QuoteIt puts providers (as IDnet) on a tough situation as they cannot walk away from ADSL2+ (if they want to continue to attract custom)

Well, you never know, if IDNet were to ditch ADSL2+ and only offer Max, it might attract customers who've heard horror stories, and don't want to be switched.  ;)
Simon.
--

Rik

Quote from: troesma on Aug 01, 2009, 13:14:57
I believe even if it warrants an extra sales cost, what you save in FTEs of ppl in support dealing with angry customers, or walk-outs due to expectations not met, more than compensates. 

I agree that managing expectations is crucial, and I think lessons have been learnt on that, the hard way. I confess to being reluctant to make the move, and my judgement was right in that I gained little or nothing (sometimes, I manage an extra 500k on the profile for a few days). Pings are much the same as on Max, the upstream is lower than a Max premium product.
Rik
--------------------

Gary

QuoteWell, you never know, if IDNet were to ditch ADSL2+ and only offer Max, it might attract customers who've heard horror stories, and don't want to be switched.  ;)
But BT are not going to be maintaining Dslams as much, so that could be like shooting yourself in the foot to get out the war
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Rik

Quote from: Simon on Aug 01, 2009, 13:17:27
Well, you never know, if IDNet were to ditch ADSL2+ and only offer Max, it might attract customers who've heard horror stories, and don't want to be switched.  ;)

The only problem being that Max is more expensive to provide than WBC, so customers would, eventually, have to pay for that.
Rik
--------------------

Glenn

There is still no date set for WBC on my exchange, 21CN should be live now.
Glenn
--------------------

Rik

Curious how they are doing things in such a random way, isn't it. We go 21Cn next year, a year after WBC.
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Glenn on Aug 01, 2009, 13:21:19
There is still no date set for WBC on my exchange, 21CN should be live now.
We don't have a date for either, Glenn. Our exchange is forgotten I fear  :'(

Simon

Quote from: Rik on Aug 01, 2009, 13:22:53
Curious how they are doing things in such a random way, isn't it. We go 21Cn next year, a year after WBC.

The phrase, "arse about face", springs to mind.  :)
Simon.
--

Rik

Rik
--------------------

rireed3

"Managing expectations", might include telling the truth.

For example, telling people "Our survey of exchange capacity shows that people will rarely get throughput more that 11 Mbps even on short lines."

Richard

Gary

Quote from: rireed3 on Aug 01, 2009, 13:25:57

For example, telling people "Our survey of exchange capacity shows that people will rarely get throughput more that 11 Mbps even on short lines."

Richard

Woefully far behind so may countries, and look how much this cost as well  :sigh:

troesma

Quote from: rireed3 on Aug 01, 2009, 13:25:57

Richard

Yup. Putting a warning sign as those you see in fag packs...

"Switching to WBC might seriously deteriorate your health"

;D

Simon_idnet

Our own ADSL2+ lines in our office sync at 22Mbps and deliver a throughput of 18Mbps. ADSL2+ also has a longer reach than ADSL Max so lines that currently are too long to receive any service at all may, in theory, get some connectivity using 2+.

It is the line in the range 0.5Mbps to 3.5Mbps that stand to experience no speed improvment from 2+.
Simon

Glenn

Mine is right in the middle of that range  :(
Glenn
--------------------

Ann

So now we know who's got the good line.. when I did those tester things to see what my line should get it used to say something like 13mb.  haha.  I often can't even watch iPlayer it's so slow.

Sebby

Any LLU options at your exchange, Ann?