What is going on with my connection

Started by psp83, Aug 01, 2009, 15:58:00

Previous topic - Next topic

psp83

Last week i upgraded to home supermax, upgrade was done friday morning (early hours) i had 832 kbps all day friday and till 1pm (ish) today..

Just logged into the router again to setup some more IP's and took alook at my router status and notice this.

Connection Speed     5920 kbps     448 kbps
Line Attenuation    39 db    12.5 db
Noise Margin    12 db    26 db

its gone back to 448 kbps.

Also, Thursday, Brian got BT to drop my noise margin to 9 from 12, router was syncing at a 9 margin thursday, when the upgrade was done, my default noise margin went to 15 now it seems to be back to 12 with the lose of supermax  ???

Rik

I suspect the two issues are not linked, Paul. You'll need to talk to support to resolve the apparent switch back of the package. The NM will have been triggered by DLM in response to some instability.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

psp83

Quote from: Rik on Aug 01, 2009, 16:01:15
I suspect the two issues are not linked, Paul. You'll need to talk to support to resolve the apparent switch back of the package. The NM will have been triggered by DLM in response to some instability.

But its weird, my line has been stable for months (6+ months) at 12 margin and suddenly when the upgrade gets done the noise margin goes higher!

Rik

AFAIK, the upgrade would have been software only, so I can't explain why it should cause a problem. Fwiw, my line did better, upstream, on Max premium than it does on WBC, but stability was the same as vanilla Max. Possibly, the extra u/s frequencies caused an issue?
Rik
--------------------

psp83

Quote from: Rik on Aug 01, 2009, 16:08:20
AFAIK, the upgrade would have been software only, so I can't explain why it should cause a problem. Fwiw, my line did better, upstream, on Max premium than it does on WBC, but stability was the same as vanilla Max. Possibly, the extra u/s frequencies caused an issue?

Dunno, all i know is that i've had supermax before (on a diff ISP) and my line was fine.

Will see what support says.

psp83

BT are idiots lol.

Support has said BT did the software part but not the physical part. BT said it be done by this morning, Still nothing.

Support is again, Asking BT whats going on..

I bet IDnet are fed up with BT messing them around.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

psp83

Does upstream have profiles aswell ?

As my line has gone back up to 832 kbps but my upstream is roughly 80 kbps slower than when i had 448 kbps upstream  ???

I used to get around 360/370 kbps.

07/08/09 08:29:25
Speed Down    4271.00 Kbps ( 4.2 Mbps )
Speed Up    282.32 Kbps ( 0.3 Mbps )
Port    8095
Server    speedtest1.thinkbroadband.com

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    Your DSL connection rate: 5856 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  832 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 4500 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 4261 kbps

Rik

I found u/s speeds looking very odd on a number of testers, Paul. I don't know whether to blame the testers or raise a fault.
Rik
--------------------

psp83

Whats IDnet local phone number again ? i get charged for 0800 numbers and i've been on hold for 10mins and its costing me when i could be using my mins.

Simon

Simon.
--

psp83

Simon_idnet

Quote from: Simon on Aug 07, 2009, 13:07:11
01462 476555

That was our STD number when we were in Letchworth. Our new number, in Hitchin, is 01462 480 092.

Simon

Rik

I keep telling them, Simon, but do they listen?  :shake: ;D
Rik
--------------------

Simon

Simon.
--

Rik

I can get you some cream to put on it. ;D
Rik
--------------------

Simon

I'd only just managed to memorise the old number too!  :bawl:
Simon.
--

Rik

The new one is much harder, I think it's very inconsiderate of Simon & Tim. ;D
Rik
--------------------

psp83

What the hell are BT doing.. My line has again gone back to my old package AGAIN :(

Connection Speed     5600 kbps     448 kbps
Line Attenuation    39 db    12.5 db
Noise Margin    13 db    26 db

:( :( :( :(

Rik

I'm convinced that BT are sending engineers out to exchanges tasked to wind customers up, Paul.  :shake: Have you let support know?
Rik
--------------------

psp83

I've only just got home from work and IDnet are closed for the night :(

I email support last night about my slower than usual upstream when i was meant to be getting upto 832 kbps as requested by simon to see if the line stabled itself over the weekend.. Looks like BT strike again.

Rik

You can arrange an out of hours call if you email them, Paul. It won't be tonight, now but could be set up for tomorrow.
Rik
--------------------

psp83

Its ok, i can wait to phone support tomorrow morning..

Just getting fed up with BT not knowing what they are doing.

I will talk to idnet about not getting charged for my upgrade as i haven't been able to use it yet.

Hope BT can sort themselfs out and get it working this week as i have to upload some large files this weekend (one of the reasons i upgraded)

Rik

Sorting out Supermax should be relatively easy, Paul, even for BT.  :fingers: It's not even engineering work, it's all done from a keyboard.
Rik
--------------------

psp83

Quote from: Rik on Aug 10, 2009, 19:10:14
Sorting out Supermax should be relatively easy, Paul, even for BT.  :fingers: It's not even engineering work, it's all done from a keyboard.

Support says there is some physical work at the exchange to be done aswell... for the "Traffic Priority" part of the service.

But its not like its a new service.. I had Premium (business) ADSL on tiscali and didnt get these problems with upstream (just downstream, well downtrickle)