Just upgraded to ADSL2 but can't connect

Started by silverblade, Aug 07, 2009, 23:40:39

Previous topic - Next topic

rireed3

ADSL supports the Max product.  It's sometimes called ADSL1.

ADSL2 goes up to 12 MBps.

ADSL2+ goes up to 24 MBps.  I often see people leave off the +, like calling SNR Margin just SNR.

Here's a Wikipedia link, in case you really want to get into this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asymmetric_digital_subscriber_line

Richard

Rik

Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Rik

The phone is now accepting messages again, Silverblade.  :)
Rik
--------------------

silverblade

Message left.

A thought - would an ADSL2 modem work with ADSL2+?

Rik

Not necessarily. Whereabouts in the country are you?
Rik
--------------------

Rik

James is on your case, Silverblade, he's looking at the BT systems right now, but immediate thoughts are that the job has been botched by BT. :(
Rik
--------------------

silverblade

I'm in Newbury.

Got a call from James - he says the mapping/settings have been updated but it looks like BT haven't jumpered my line so its still connected to the DSLAM (if I understand correctly).

So, as I suspected I guess! I wouldve thought it be hard to overlook that... seems a pretty crucial part of the process to me!

Rik

There seem to be some (a lot?) of engineers who haven't been trained properly on WBC. :( Does James think he can get anything done over the weekend?
Rik
--------------------

silverblade

Oh that doesn't sound too encouraging lol - maybe I should've waited for them to be better trained ;)

James mentioned that there are only a few BT engineers working on weekends, but if its something simple it should be possible to sort over the weekend.

Apparently I should be able to get connected with my modem. If the connection is unstable *then* I might need to get a new modem.

Frustrating really. I wonder how many people have had their connection broken by BT due to poorly trained engineers.....

Glenn

There is at least one other here, coreservers.
Glenn
--------------------

Tacitus

Quote from: silverblade on Aug 08, 2009, 12:55:26
...... I wonder how many people have had their connection broken by BT due to poorly trained engineers.....

You begin to wonder how many ISPs are going to be driven into bankruptcy by BT......

Rik

You do, Tac, and I don't like the answer I'm coming up with so far. :(
Rik
--------------------

silverblade

Well, its unfortunate that BT just seem to let everyone down (ISPs and the ISPs customers). I've been quite pleased with idnet and the support they provide. Just wish BT did a better job of doing their jobs...

coreservers

well i'm on my 3rd week of unstable connectinos, but at least i'm on now. BT completely blew it, by creating a "datastream circuit", which I think will barely operate with dial up. I had to get ian livingstone and dan moss involved. today even I was out metal detecting all day, and got in to find an openreach engineer had called at 2.30, no call nor  warning they were coming at all.

If you truly believe you need to pick a mobile phone that 'says something' about your personality, don't bother. You don't have a personality. A mental illness, maybe - but not a personality

Rik

Best to assume they might turn up any time, Core, and not leave the house at all. ;)
Rik
--------------------

Rik

Quote from: silverblade on Aug 08, 2009, 16:35:47
Well, its unfortunate that BT just seem to let everyone down (ISPs and the ISPs customers). I've been quite pleased with idnet and the support they provide. Just wish BT did a better job of doing their jobs...

We all do. BT can destroy ISPs like IDNet and just walk away. :(
Rik
--------------------

silverblade

Anyway, been out for a bit, back now... modem still syncing at 8meg...

Rik

Just not talking to anything, presumably? :(
Rik
--------------------

silverblade

Nope. I do occasionally reboot the modem too just in case.

Rik

Avoid doing that too often, it can cause the BT software to kick in and raise your noise margin.
Rik
--------------------

quandam

Quote from: Rik on Aug 08, 2009, 16:53:59
We all do. BT can destroy ISPs like IDNet and just walk away. :(

Rik

You know I am on your side (in general!) but surely the actions of BT affect ALL ISP's in the same way, it really is a level playing field when it comes to BT's poor service ;) What do you think? :dunno:

Rik

They do, Q, but it's the smaller ISPs where the effects tend to be more visible, as they have, historically, differentiated themselves from the big players by providing enhanced standards of reliability and customer service. BT is impacting that aspect of their business horrendously.
Rik
--------------------

silverblade

Just lost sync for a bit, but its come back at 8meg again. Hmmm...

Rik

Rik
--------------------