Connection dropouts

Started by Cyclohexane, Apr 30, 2006, 21:00:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyclohexane

Hi all,

I've just moved house and joined IDNet rather than migrating my previous ISP (Metronet). ADSL was enabled on Fri and i have no problems connecting via my USB modem, but if i use the Zoom modem combined with the wireless Belkin router (which i had no problems with at the previous house) the connection drops roughly every 5 minutes. It's going to be difficult providing any useful stats as this USB one does not give any and i cannot access the Zoom when it is connected through the belkin router. I could reconfigure the Zoom to work directly with my PC but i'd rather not as it was setup in a reasonably complex manner to work with the Belkin by BroadBandBuyer when i bought it.

Any ideas or am i going to have to bite the bullet to provide those stats?

Cheers
James

Jeff

Hey Cyc, welcome to IDNetters :)

Is your USB modem a Speedtouch 330 by any chance?

Cyclohexane

Hi Jeff,

No it's a "Binatone ADSL 500".

Thanks
James

Jeff

You can get your stats by pasting http://192.168.1.2/doc/admin.htm into your browser and choosing ADSL Status.

USB devices and MaxDSL don`t like each other btw :\

Are you using USB1.1 or USB2.0 on your PC m8?

Cyclohexane

Ah-ha! Thanks very much! The info is below. I'm not sure if it's USB 2 or not, but just to reiterate that i'm not having a problem when connected with the USB one, it's when connected via the non-USB Zoom that i am getting dropped. The downstream SNR is mostly around 5.8 but it does sometimes go as low as 4.8 and as high as 6.2

Elapsed Time: 0 days 0 hours 36 minutes 46 seconds

Downstream Upstream 
SNR Margin          5.9                27.0 dB
Line Attenuation  39.0              24.0 dB
Errored Seconds  14                 0 
Loss of Signal      3                   3 
Loss of Frame      0                   0 
CRC Errors           8                   0 
Data Rate            3648             448 kbps
Latency                FAST             FAST

Cheers for your help.
James

Cyclohexane

Update: it just dropped me on the USB modem too. Are those figures indicative of a dodgy phone line? I'm plugged into the master socket, there are no other ext. sockets in the house.

Jeff

Stats are fine James. First check should be IIRC under properties for your USB device ... ensure that it is configured to not idle out after a certain time period, select "never". I apologise, I don`t have a USB device connected to my machine :\

To find out if your machine uses USB1.1 or USB 2.0, go to control panel, select system > Hardware > Device Manager > then right at the bottom, expand Universal Serial Bus Controllers. There may be a lot of entries here, but tell me if the word "Fast" or "Enhanced" resides anywhere down the list :)

Cyclohexane

Hello again,

Have checked and both the Binatone and Zoom are _not_ set to disconnect if idle.

I can't see either fast or enhanced in my USB config list so i guess that means it is not USB 2.

I'm still being disconnected very regularly on both devices today. :o( But after reading around some more... is this maybe normal during the 10 day testing period?

Cheers
James

Gilba

Hi,

From my experience, as you are still on the training period you will find that it will disconnect regularly to try and find the max stable rate of your line. I think this will happen more to people who are not at max sync. Hopefully it will stablise towards the end of the training period.

Jeff

How`s things going m8? Been offline for a few days and wonder if I can further help? :)