Zen ranked top by Which?

Started by Rik, Aug 22, 2009, 09:56:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

Which? has rated Zen as the best broadband provider for the fourth year running, according to the Telegraph.

QuoteZen Internet, the independent internet service provider, has been ranked top of a customer satisfaction survey for Which? magazine for the fourth year running.

The British company scored five out of five for speed, reliability and service.

The poll, compiled from Which? members' ratings, also gave it three out of five for value for money despite being among the most expensive services at £17.61 a month.

It topped the consumer magazine's league table with an overall score of 87 per cent, which represents customer satisfaction with the service combined with the likelihood of recommending it to a friend.

O2, Utility Warehouse and Be all scored above 80 per cent in the survey but Britain's four biggest ISPs, BT, TalkTalk, Virgin Media and Tiscali all failed to get more than 60 per cent.

AOL, Orange and Tiscali all languished at the bottom of the table with scores of 32 per cent and below and were branded "Don't Buys" by the magazine.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

bobleslie

Which? readers are a peculiar bunch!  ;D
=Bob=.
Sky/Easylink LLU. Thankfully! ;-)

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Sebby

I never trust Which?, although I think this is probably quite accurate.

bobleslie

I think it's the wacky name - Zen - that appeals to the Whichers?  ;D
=Bob=.

Gary

Quote from: Sebby on Aug 22, 2009, 11:40:49
I never trust Which?, although I think this is probably quite accurate.
Zen do seem to have a good reputation Sebby, but I never trust price comparison websites for car insurance, let alone Which
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Simon

Of course they're going to come out top, when you're ranking them against the likes of BT, TalkTalk, Virgin Media and Tiscali.  It's hardly comprehensive, or conclusive.  ::)
Simon.
--

Gary

Quote from: Simon on Aug 22, 2009, 15:44:40
Of course they're going to come out top, when you're ranking them against the likes of BT, TalkTalk, Virgin Media and Tiscali.  It's hardly comprehensive, or conclusive.  ::)
Thats the problem with the way Which do there comparisons I think, Simon
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Rik

I never trusted them after they tested brands of recording tape, way back when. The used a Grundig recorder for their tests and found BASF tape to be the best, and it's a very good tape. What they neglected to either understand or explain was that Grundig's were actually set up with their bias level optimised for BASF, so it was always going to come out tops.
Rik
--------------------

JB

Bias levels for tape. Now you're taking me back to the days of my Ferrograph  :eek4:
JB

'Keyboard not detected ~ Press F1 to continue'

Rik

Rik
--------------------

john

I can't comment on the Which test for ISP's as I haven't seen the details. A ong time ago I did question their tests in general as the predominant aspect appeared to be solely value for money rather than the best quality even though the one they decided was best was only a little less expensive than the one that was universally acknowledged as being superior.

Rik

Which? seems to have taken on an element of BBC style over the years, John, with this belief that they know what's best for us. :(
Rik
--------------------

holbob

Zen are excellent and have similar prices/policies as idnet so I think it's a fair call.

Rik

Shame they didn't look at ISPs like IDNet, Newnet, AAISP etc as well.
Rik
--------------------

bobleslie

Quote from: holbob on Aug 24, 2009, 17:37:00
Zen are excellent and have similar prices/policies as idnet so I think it's a fair call.

So why did you leave them?
=Bob=.

Tacitus

Quote from: Rik on Aug 24, 2009, 10:04:30
I had a Vortexion. ;D

Anybody remember Leevers Rich recorders (sp?).  Widely used by the Beeb during the 60s.

Rik

Got a picture, Tac, the name rings a bell, but I can't place them.
Rik
--------------------

Tacitus

Quote from: Rik on Aug 24, 2009, 19:12:23
Got a picture, Tac, the name rings a bell, but I can't place them.

Unfortunately not.  School friend of mine worked for the Beeb as a recording engineer and I remember loads of these machines in the control galleries at Bush House.  They were a studio machine - Ferrographs were regarded as portable machines for location recording before Uher and Nagra took over the market.

john

Google images returns quite a few pictures of 'Leevers Rich' recorders. I don't know which model the BBC used but they mostly appear to be large industrial models.

Rik

I am sure I remember them, I just can't 'image' them if you know what I mean. I had a Uher myself, couldn't justify a Nagra though, that tended to be reserved for film crews.
Rik
--------------------

Rik

Quote from: john on Aug 24, 2009, 19:36:55
Google images returns quite a few pictures of 'Leevers Rich' recorders. I don't know which model the BBC used but they mostly appear to be large industrial models.

I just tripped over images of Brennel machines while looking, that's another one I played with quite a bit.
Rik
--------------------

JohnH

Quote from: holbob on Aug 24, 2009, 17:37:00

I would agree with this.

I left them because they don't offer a landbased telephone service, only VOIP and which is not particularly competitive. Also, I had been with Zen for 5 years and I thought it was time for a change.

So far, I am impressed by the personal friendly support service and I enjoy the camaraderie and laughs on IDNetters.

:)

Rik

Rik
--------------------