AAISP looking to ditch BT

Started by Tacitus, Aug 13, 2009, 15:56:34

Previous topic - Next topic

zappaDPJ

I can see why AAISP would want to do this, ISPs tied into BT's infrastructure are on a hiding to nothing, particularly when it comes to WBC. However I've had first hand experience of Be's network and while it may suit those who require huge amounts of bandwidth it's not so good if you are looking for low latency. During peak hours pings of over 200ms was the norm for me and a lot of others on the network.

I'm not really sure if AAISP are going to keep their reputation if they go down this road.
zap
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Simon

I think a few ISPs are struggling to keep their reputation at the moment, Zap, mostly at the hands of BT.  :(
Simon.
--

zappaDPJ

I do understand that, I think a number of us here have come to realise just how abysmal BT/Openreach has become unfortunately  :'(
zap
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: zappaDPJ on Aug 13, 2009, 23:02:49
I can see why AAISP would want to do this, ISPs tied into BT's infrastructure are on a hiding to nothing, particularly when it comes to WBC. However I've had first hand experience of Be's network and while it may suit those who require huge amounts of bandwidth it's not so good if you are looking for low latency. During peak hours pings of over 200ms was the norm for me and a lot of others on the network.

I'm not really sure if AAISP are going to keep their reputation if they go down this road.
The problem is O2 are the parent company and they have overloaded Be' network with new traffic, not great really.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Tacitus

Quote from: Ann on Aug 13, 2009, 22:51:28
But... but... but.. the cutomer service comes from.. wait for it.. Bulgaria!  Yous all wouldn't like that.

I'm surprised more companies don't use South Africa, where the standard of English is pretty good.  I know TalkTalk use a call centre in Durban.  An Afrikaans accent is generally more comprehensible than Bangalore.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Tacitus

Quote from: Rik on Aug 14, 2009, 08:27:49
If ghastly. ;D

True - they always sound as if they have a cold.  :)

If ISPs who are fed up with BT start to move en masse to LLU operators, BT could be left with the unprofitable rural/semi rural areas.  How would they then generate the profits to upgrade the network?  Yet more taxpayer subsidy?

There could come a point where, given the pension liabilities, taxpayer subsidy might be all that keeps BT afloat, in which case politicians should bite the bullet and nationalise it.  Since current political ideology seems to favour the transfer of wealth from the many to the few, I can't see it happening.

Rik

Quote from: Tacitus on Aug 14, 2009, 10:39:07
True - they always sound as if they have a cold.  :)

I thought that was Birmingham. ;)

QuoteIf ISPs who are fed up with BT start to move en masse to LLU operators, BT could be left with the unprofitable rural/semi rural areas.  How would they then generate the profits to upgrade the network?  Yet more taxpayer subsidy?

There could come a point where, given the pension liabilities, taxpayer subsidy might be all that keeps BT afloat, in which case politicians should bite the bullet and nationalise it.  Since current political ideology seems to favour the transfer of wealth from the many to the few, I can't see it happening.

Given the current structure, where Openreach operate and maintain the network and BT Retail are themselves a customer, a division of the company would make sense. Therefore, it can never happen. :(
Rik
--------------------

Wags

Quote from: Tacitus on Aug 14, 2009, 08:27:07
I'm surprised more companies don't use South Africa, where the standard of English is pretty good.  I know TalkTalk use a call centre in Durban.  An Afrikaans accent is generally more comprehensible than Bangalore.

...or The Philippines like Linksys/Cisco. 24/7 support - telephone (toll free) answered within seconds by a Filipino who speaks great English albeit with an almost American accent. That was my experience when I had a warranty issue, anyway :thumb:

Rik

Isn't 1&1's support in the Philippines too?
Rik
--------------------

Ray

Quote from: Rik on Aug 14, 2009, 10:58:11
Isn't 1&1's support in the Philippines too?

Their support via email appears to be in Germany, Rik. :)
Ray
--------------------

Rik

I was thinking of the phone support, Ray. When I did have occasion to call them, I ended up with American-accented English which clearly wasn't European. I was told then that they were based in the Philippines.
Rik
--------------------

David

I have just recieved an Email from them signed by

Jareth Lou Becari

Now he could live here but I cant figure out where this name is from Italy perhaps ? :dunno:
Many hammer all over the wall and believe that with each blow they hit the nail on the head.

Rik

I think that's a Spanish name, David, which would fit with the Philippines.
Rik
--------------------

David

And the manners and the friendly service ........certainly not Britain  ;D
Many hammer all over the wall and believe that with each blow they hit the nail on the head.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

David

Now thats the training centre for excellence   :thumb:

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Sebby

This is very interesting stuff. Unfortunately, as some have mentioned, it's not a global solution given that LLU operators like Be will just become over-subscribed.

Rik

It might only take one or two to move from BT to wake people up though, Seb.  :fingers:
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

David

Rik

Rik
--------------------

David

Rik

Any idea where you are going to go, David?
Rik
--------------------