Mandy gets tough

Started by Rik, Aug 25, 2009, 09:44:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

The BBC reports that:

QuoteThe UK government is to announce that people who consistently download films and music illegally will be cut off from the net.

The announcement will come in the form of an amendment to the Digital Britain report, launched in June.

It is believed that Business Secretary Lord Mandelson has intervened personally to beef up the report.

The amendment will make it easier for internet service providers to act against pirates.

ISPs have said it is not their job to police the web.

It is likely there will be widespread anger from ISPs over the u-turn.

You can't help but wonder who he met on holiday this year, can you?
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

somanyholes

http://torrentfreak.com/britain-mulls-turning-7-million-into-download-criminals-090816/

QuoteAccording to a report today, the Business Secretary's intervention comes after he and David Geffen – the billionaire producer who co-founded the DreamWorks studio with Steven Spielberg – had dinner with members of the Rothschild banking dynasty at the family's holiday villa on the Greek island of Corfu.

he will fail, and waste a lot of taxpayers money in the process.

Just remembered there's a general election next year so bye bye to mr mandelson anyway.

talos

Whoever it was or wherever he met them I bet he claims for the meeting on expenses. Not to mention the extra "help and support" he will get from the entertainment industry. :mad:

Rik

It seems my cynicism was justified, So. :(
Rik
--------------------

somanyholes

QuoteIt seems my cynicism was justified, So.

You've been spending to much time around me. Or is it the other way round?  ;D

Rik

Rik
--------------------

dujas

The completely opposite direction to which the EU parliament seems to be going. Only a few months ago Internet access was proposed as a EU citizen's human right, now its been watered down to a "right to a judgement by an independent and impartial tribunal." I imagine ISPs are uneasy about who will be left footing the bill.

Rik

Ultimately, it will be us, of course. :(
Rik
--------------------

gizmo71

Quote from: Rik on Aug 25, 2009, 09:44:59
people who consistently download films and music illegally

That's okay, I only do it inconsistently. :evil:
SimRacing.org.uk Director General | Team Shark Online Racing - on the podium since 1993
Up the Mariners!

Gary

AS far as I am concerned its not the ISP's job, but they get what they deserve, the problem is this is is illegal file sharers wont take notice, so you have to get tough, they should be thankful they do not get fines like in America, also it will free up bandwidth, so its a win win situation  :evil:
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Rik

All this from an unelected Minister who accepts entertainment from rich people...
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Aug 25, 2009, 12:31:05
All this from an unelected Minister who accepts entertainment from rich people...
I dont like Darth Mandleson but there is an issue that needs to be addressed, Rik. Mandy is pure evil and I bet he got a nice wallet lining gift for this, but when you have people downloading hours upon hours of material illegally, its theft as much as steeling a CD or film from a store, yes it could be better implemented, yes its ironic coming from the dark lord himself, just saying something had to be done at some point. I bet though they cut the wrong people off  ::)

Rik

Oh, I agree on the principles involved, Gary, though with some reciprocity from the record labels and studios on equitable pricing. I just object to power being wielded in this way by a man who is unelected and who seems to have a personal agenda.
Rik
--------------------

David

Many hammer all over the wall and believe that with each blow they hit the nail on the head.

somanyholes

Quotealso it will free up bandwidth, so its a win win situation

Have to say I disagree with this bit mate. In the long term it will probably have the opposite effect. p2p users will be forced to use encrytion i.e. usenet or seedbox's in remote locations/country's. This will mean that they will download at much faster speeds, and therefore end up using more bandwidth. The dpi will not be able to inspect the data. This will also mean cables connecting continents will end up having more load.... It also means that things like utorrents local peer discovery will be on no longer be used, (uk wide) and therefore this will end up costing isp's more financially.

Regardless of all the technical aspects, whatever happens legally will be slow, and once implemented, workarounds will appear quickly. They are fighting a losing battle. The media compaine's need to accept things have changed.

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Aug 25, 2009, 12:38:31
Oh, I agree on the principles involved, Gary, though with some reciprocity from the record labels and studios on equitable pricing. I just object to power being wielded in this way by a man who is unelected and who seems to have a personal agenda.
I agree with you totally on Mandy, that man is trouble and he is gaining power from the backseat *ahem* far to fast which worries me, but you can buy music cheap enough these days on download anyway, yes the record companies make a mint but who doesn't, when I had to buy plastic 68mm guttering it cost enough, far more than it takes to make it, but I didn't steal it because of that fact. So down with the Dark Lord, Mandy. And if you steal you your comeuppance.

Rik

The pricing differential in the UK market does need to be addressed though, Gary, especially for CDs where there are no differences (those in DVDs are artificial and at the behest of the producers).
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: somanyholes on Aug 25, 2009, 12:42:22
Have to say I disagree with this bit mate. In the long term it will probably have the opposite effect. p2p users will be forced to use encrytion i.e. usenet or seedbox's in remote locations/country's. This will mean that they will download at much faster speeds, and therefore end up using more bandwidth. The dpi will not be able to inspect the data. This will also mean cables connecting continents will end up having more load.... It also means that things like utorrents local peer discovery will be on no longer be used, (uk wide) and therefore this will end up costing isp's more financially.

Regardless of all the technical aspects, whatever happens legally will be slow, and once implemented, workarounds will appear quickly. They are fighting a losing battle. The media compaine's need to accept things have changed.

I see your point of view So, but I am also sure that the ones downloading illegal music can afford the hardware, but have the gall to use cracked software on it, and then steal music to listen to, its odd they spend the money on gadgets which themselves are over priced but won't spend it on an album or some software, duplicity is an odd thing. Times have changed but should I be able to get free tyres because everyone has a car and they are over priced? No, so why should people get free music because everyone listens to it. Times have changed in a lot of industries but that does not mean you get freebies because of it

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Aug 25, 2009, 12:48:02
The pricing differential in the UK market does need to be addressed though, Gary, especially for CDs where there are no differences (those in DVDs are artificial and at the behest of the producers).
Thats why I buy from the states, Rik. I get what I want at a fraction of the cost even with postage. But we could say that about fuel to name but one more over priced product in the UK, there is a lot to be addressed price wise in this country when compared to other countries

Rik

Not to mention taxation, of course... :(
Rik
--------------------

john

If all those who download music and films illegally were to stop I doubt whether the record companies/studios would see much improvement in their profits, in fact they might actually see a further reduction. They assume that for every track that is downloaded that whoever did it would go out and buy it instead.

I get the impression that the media companies think all these measures are like a bucket to catch people when it's really more like a collander.

I read recently that many teenagers do not really care about downloading and keeping the music, they're happy just to stream it instead. Also for every person who is paid to develop restrictive media there are a hundreds or even thousands of others who are happy to work on circumventing it for free.

Whilst I agree that artistes and producers should get adequate recompense for their efforts I can't see how they can hold back the tidal wave of downloaders etc with the methods they're currently employing.

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Aug 25, 2009, 12:54:10
Not to mention taxation, of course... :(
:sigh: very true, Rik.

somanyholes

as far as hardware's concerned they have no choice for the moment mate. Until 3d printing piracy arrives at least. Granted this still has a long way to go.

If the media companies hadn't been so greedy in th first place, they may not be in such a bad position now.

Gary

Quote from: john on Aug 25, 2009, 12:55:34
If all those who download music and films illegally were to stop I doubt whether the record companies/studios would see much improvement in their profits, in fact they might actually see a further reduction. They assume that for every track that is downloaded that whoever did it would go out and buy it instead.

I get the impression that the media companies think all these measures are like a bucket to catch people when it's really more like a collander.

I read recently that many teenagers do not really care about downloading and keeping the music, they're happy just to stream it instead. Also for every person who is paid to develop restrictive media there are a hundreds or even thousands of others who are happy to work on circumventing it for free.

Whilst I agree that artistes and producers should get adequate recompense for their efforts I can't see how they can hold back the tidal wave of downloaders etc with the methods they're currently employing.
Banning most from using the internet in any way would work, but I am sure there is some human rights bill about that, after all I noticed that in the back to school adverts along with pencils and paper and all the usual, one company included webcams in the advert, because children really need them to do their school work  :eyebrow:

Gary

Quote from: somanyholes on Aug 25, 2009, 12:58:20
as far as hardware's concerned they have no choice for the moment mate. Until 3d printing piracy arrives at least. Granted this still has a long way to go.

If the media companies hadn't been so greedy in th first place, they may not be in such a bad position now.
Yes but So, some of these people spend a fortune on machines to run cracked games etc, if you spend a mint on a games rig, just to cram it fill of illegal software you can purchase the software too.