At last, we have a ratified N

Started by Rik, Sep 14, 2009, 11:35:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

The BBC reports:

QuoteThe next-generation of wi-fi technology has finally been approved for use, despite being on sale in laptops and other equipment for several years.

The 802.11n technology, as it is known, was ratified by the IEEE, a body that oversees all wi-fi standards.

It was conceived seven years ago and offers speeds at least six times faster than current approved technology.

Electronics firms have sold PCs and routers using the standard for many years, labelled "802.11n draft".

But without the IEEE's approval, there were no guarantees that future networking equipment would be compatible with the devices.

The IEEE's rubber stamp has changed that.

All existing draft 802.11n wi-fi products will work with the final standard, according to the Wi-Fi Alliance, a group that tests wireless products to ensure compliance.

"This was an extraordinarily wide-ranging technical challenge," said Bruce Kraemer of the IEEE.

"When we started in 2002, many of the technologies addressed in 802.11n were university research topics and had not been implemented."

The 802.11n technology offers speeds of at least 300 megabits per second (Mbps), many times higher than the previous 802.11g, which operates at speeds of up to 54 Mbps.

It is also able to transfer data over distances of 90m (300ft) indoors, double that of previous technologies.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Gary

So those who took the gamble for draft N are lucky, glad my laptop and router will be compatible *phew* I expect many new devices will use the 5ghz spectrum now as well but that will become overcrowded in the end, using drat N around here makes the router prone to interference but staying on 54mbps its rock solid.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Rik

My own view is that wireless has a short lifespan, Gary, unless the Govt (and all Govts) free up some more bandwidth. When I first went wireless, I could 'see' one other network, now I see up to 10. It's only a matter of time before any frequency gets swamped.
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Sep 14, 2009, 12:47:47
My own view is that wireless has a short lifespan, Gary, unless the Govt (and all Govts) free up some more bandwidth. When I first went wireless, I could 'see' one other network, now I see up to 10. It's only a matter of time before any frequency gets swamped.
I agree its a stop gap homeplugs work better, if WiMax had taken off more that might have been interesting, 3G just costs to much and is to patchy and speeds are not fantastic depending on network, Orange and soon to be T Mobile will end up with the best coverage in the country, they just need to make it cheaper. Vodafone offer femtocells giving your home maximum coverage but they cost, and also I'm not sure about having such things indoors anyway.

Rik

I like bits of wire, simple, fast and secure. :)
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Sep 14, 2009, 12:53:05
I like bits of wire, simple, fast and secure. :)
I agree but as time goes on with more and more mobile computing something will need to be done, I'd be happy with Paris's umbrella wifi just to start with, having the ability to connect any wear in the city must be great, can't see that happening here given BT struggling with WBC  :(

Rik

BT struggle with joined up thinking, Gary. ;)
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Sep 14, 2009, 12:56:23
BT struggle with joined up thinking, Gary. ;)
and joined up writing  ;D

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Sebby

It's about time. They certainly didn't rush into certifying this one. The problem is, they've taken so long that the technology is almost out of date!

Rik

Isn't it, Seb. I dread to think what they're planning next. :sigh:
Rik
--------------------

esh

Ugh, and I was just looking into starting deploying n 802.11g WLAN. Is it really that obsolete that it's not worth considering? I've never had any vague joy out of wireless in years past (and it was years) but people are coming to expect it now.
CompuServe 28.8k/33.6k 1994-1998, BT 56k 1998-2001, NTL Cable 512k 2001-2004, 2x F2S 1M 2004-2008, IDNet 8M 2008 - LLU 11M 2011

Rik

It's not so much obsolete as superseded. It will still be adequate for most people's needs, and it will be a while before N adaptors are built into new hardware.
Rik
--------------------

dujas

The successor is 802.16m, offering downstream speeds of up to 100 Mbit/s whilst moving, and 1 Gbit/s while stationary, upstream speeds are currently undetermined. It will also be WiMAX and 4G compatible.

The IEEE committee formed to develop 802.16m was created in 2007, they hope to have a finalized first draft of the standard by 2011.

Rik

You wonder how they can take 4 years talking about it though? Not agreeing it, just getting to a draft standard. For that matter, why go from G to N then to M? I'm confused.  ???
Rik
--------------------

dujas

Bureaucracy and procedure I guess, every little milestone has to be voted on before it can move to the next stage. The draft has been formalised now, but it will take another two years to be approved. It's done to make sure the electronic manufacturers are all in agreement, the last thing the consumer wants is 'splinter factions' adopting different standards.

Rik

Sometimes, I wish they would - it would force the pace of innovation.
Rik
--------------------