Using Netgear DG834GT in modem only mode

Started by jonathancox, Sep 10, 2009, 00:20:44

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathancox

I'd like to try and use my DG834GT in modem only mode. There's a button for this in the DG team firmware (0848) which I'm running.

My goal is to connect my main PC (hardwired via ethernet cable) at gigabit speeds. The PC has a Netgear gigabit adapter currently running at 100Mbps through the DG834GT. Netgear don't seem to offer a ADSL2+ modem/router with gigabit capability, and it seems that their new ADSL2+ modem/router (DGND3300) only uses 10/100 for hardwired connections.

Can I use a Netgear cable router (with gigabit connection) with the DG834GT in modem-only mode to achieve this? I'm thinking the WNR3500v2 router.

Surely, then, I could connect hardwired @ 1000Mbps, and at 270/300Mbps wirelessly with my netbook (using an appropriate USB dongle).

I've read some confusing stuff on Google about PPPoE vs PPPoA (I understand IDnet uses the latter). I don't understand encapsulation.

Advice very gratefully received!

Steve

You'll find the instructions here http://vpncasestudy.com/download/DG/DG834_Tips100.pdf .The modem only mode I think is available for most Netgear router gateways even using netgear firmware but the page is hidden

I have managed to get it working this way once with the DG834GT and an Apple Time capsule using a very similar method as described in the article. It may be useful if you wish to connect 2 gigabit devices i.e 2 desktops or desktop and server but doubt you'll see much gain for the cost if one connection is via wireless whether it be in g or n mode
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

jonathancox

Thanks for link Steve. My 4 yr old DG834GT is beginning to get a bit flaky, so I have ordered a Netgear DM111P modem and WNR3500 router to replace it. It seems daft to buy two boxes to replace one, but Netgear don't offer a gigabit enabled ADSL2+ modem/router.

philnorton

Quote from: stevethegas on Sep 10, 2009, 07:46:04
You'll find the instructions here http://vpncasestudy.com/download/DG/DG834_Tips100.pdf .The modem only mode I think is available for most Netgear router gateways even using netgear firmware but the page is hidden

I have managed to get it working this way once with the DG834GT and an Apple Time capsule using a very similar method as described in the article. It may be useful if you wish to connect 2 gigabit devices i.e 2 desktops or desktop and server but doubt you'll see much gain for the cost if one connection is via wireless whether it be in g or n mode

I'd love to know how you set that combo up, as that's exactly what I've been trying to do without much success!!

Steve

Well don't try again ;D I only got it to work once. If your interested in getting a Time Capsule or an Airport Extreme to work with iDnet you need a modem with a PPPOA/PPPOE ethernet bridge I am currently using a Draytek Vigor 120 http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor120.html alongside an Airport Extreme without any connection issues what so ever. Pings and throughput are superior to my previous Netgear DG834N. The only downside is that once connected in this fashion its a trial but not impossible to get any line stats.
Steve
------------

philnorton

Quote from: stevethegas on Nov 17, 2009, 12:42:17
Well don't try again ;D I only got it to work once. If your interested in getting a Time Capsule or an Airport Extreme to work with iDnet you need a modem with a PPPOA/PPPOE ethernet bridge I am currently using a Draytek Vigor 120 http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor120.html alongside an Airport Extreme without any connection issues what so ever. Pings and throughput are superior to my previous Netgear DG834N. The only downside is that once connected in this fashion its a trial but not impossible to get any line stats.

Sounds like a plan! I assume that the above is pretty much applicable to any ISP? I'm moving from a home office setup to a small office next week, where the broadband is being provided by the landlord, so it won't be through IDNet (boo!!!) but the plan was to run an Airport Extreme as the main router and connect the other Macs (plus a Mac Mini Server) to it either wirelessly or over ethernet. The supplied broadband uses a Thomson Speedtouch 585 router, but I assume that'll cause me as much pain as trying to get the Netgear to work in modem-only mode too, in which case the Draytek may well be the answer!

Steve

Its either that or just use the  Airport Extreme in bridge mode off the speedtouch and see what functions you get with regard dual band wireless function,printer server and mobile me if you use it.I know you wont get the guest  wireless  internet access with the AEBS in bridge mode.

The Draytek vigor 120 should work with all UK ISPs using BT backhaul, please check the Draytek support pages for connections to certain LLU providers.

The 585v6 can be placed in bridge mode whether it acts as PPPOA/PPPOE bridge I am unsure

http://www.zensupport.co.uk/knowledgebase/article.aspx?id=10520
Steve
------------