Is SNR on WBC as critical?

Started by D-Dan, Sep 20, 2009, 22:18:10

Previous topic - Next topic

D-Dan

I apologise if this has been covered, and I've missed it, but reading through other member's woes I have to ask, is the SNR on WBC as critcal as it is on Max.

The reason I ask is I've been sat looking at an SNR of between 2 - 3 (during my usual times) maxing out at 4 at 7am on Sunday morning, with a rock solid connection, but I'm still worried about the (as far as I am concerned - inevitable) re-sync and the corresponding drop in sync.

Should I continue to be worried, or is WBC more stable at lower SNR?

St6eve
Have I lost my way?

This post doesn't necessarily represent even my own opinions, let alone anyone else's

Sebby

I'd say that SNRM is the same on WBC as it is on Max. After all, it's referring to exactly the same thing.

As far as ADSL2+ stability goes, I'd have actually said it's less stable than Max, at least in its current state. But, if you're not having any trouble, i.e. your router is managing to hang on with a SNRM of 2-3dB, I wouldn't worry. :)

Lance

Some netgears have been known in te past to hang on to a connection as low as -2. That shouldn't even be possible!
Lance
_____

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Sebby

It's not possible, so it must just be Netgears misreporting!

drummer

I have no idea regarding D-Dan's question but my NM has been hovering around 2.5 (plus or minus) since my last re-sync on the first of this month.

Current sync is 17628kbps downstream and 1124kbps upstream.

Throughput is generally in the region of 13500kbps, day or night and pings rarely go above 15ms.

Don't know if my stats are good or bad but it all seems to be working here.

[attachment deleted by admin]
To stay is death but to flee is life.

Lance

As long as your line is relatively stable, drummer, your stats are good!
Lance
_____

Rik

BT seem to be changing the rules with regard to target NM. Mine has always been 9db. Last week it dropped to 6db and was stable. Today it's dropped to 3db, currently 1.6, and I don't think will hold overnight.
Rik
--------------------

esh

Quote from: Lance on Sep 20, 2009, 22:49:17
Some netgears have been known in te past to hang on to a connection as low as -2. That shouldn't even be possible!

Just wondering why this would be?

>>> math.pow(10,-2.0/10.0)

So the signal is 2/3 of the noise. It doesn't mean the signal isn't there surely?
CompuServe 28.8k/33.6k 1994-1998, BT 56k 1998-2001, NTL Cable 512k 2001-2004, 2x F2S 1M 2004-2008, IDNet 8M 2008 - LLU 11M 2011

Rik

In theory. More likely it means the report is wrong.
Rik
--------------------