Loss of service reports

Started by rireed3, Sep 23, 2009, 16:37:06

Previous topic - Next topic

DorsetBoy

Quote from: gingerjedi on Oct 20, 2010, 21:12:50
Are you saying that ADSL Max customers were not affected? Because thats not my experience.

My connection wasn't available when I got in at about 5 and it went down again an hour later, I was moved from ADSL 2 back to Max when I had the HR fault, IDNET confirmed this to me only a few of weeks back.

No one has said Adsl Max was not affected. The details are on the status page showing what and when occurred.

Rik

Quote from: Bill on Oct 20, 2010, 21:14:06
That's how (and why) the original version of the internet (ArpaNet) was conceived... and if BT had implemented their infrastructure properly it would have the same resilience.

You don't need dozens of pieces of hardware to achieve it, just properly configured (!) links between connection points to provide alternate paths.

I couldn't agree with you more, Bill. BT's metro nodes fill be with a sense of horror - Stepney Green falls over and takes the country with it - it's crazy.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

klipp

Had a quick connection drop about 20 minutes ago.  Not sure if it was PPP or sync as I was at the shop at the time.  Router log is useless.

Rik

Both my lines have been up solidly since ~19:40, speeds and latency normal.
Rik
--------------------

.Griff.

agal

Quote from: gingerjedi on Oct 20, 2010, 21:12:50
Are you saying that ADSL Max customers were not affected? Because thats not my experience.

My connection wasn't available when I got in at about 5 and it went down again an hour later, I was moved from ADSL 2 back to Max when I had the HR fault, IDNET confirmed this to me only a few of weeks back.

Same here - router logs show I've been having CHAP authentication failures since midnight (Home SuperMAx package)

Rik

Straight in on both, Griff.  :dunno:
Rik
--------------------

Bill

Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Technical Ben

Well. It was exciting while it lasted. I'm with you there Rik, on the "that's only 0.15% downtime". 8736 hours in a year. Let's be very generous and say it's 24 hours downtime (12 last time, 12 this time. even though that is not true, it may be how long it takes for people to get back from work, and try again later). That is still less than 0.003% downtime.*

My parents net was dying all the time a year or so ago. BT used their "scapegoat" phrase back then of "we will send a new router". The difference is, IDNet is transparent and honest. If this had been BT, it would have all been hush hush and denials. The customers would have been given a call centre message of "you must restart your PC. You have a virus" and customers are none the wiser to the real error.
So  :thumb: to IDNet for still working hard amongst the evil giants.

*Do 364 divided by 1 day. ;)
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

.Griff.

Quote from: Rik on Oct 20, 2010, 21:22:17
Straight in on both, Griff.  :dunno:

Zappa can you try if you see this message (Zappa being another FTTC customer)

Bill

Quote from: Rik on Oct 20, 2010, 21:18:18
Both my lines have been up solidly since ~19:40, speeds and latency normal.

My BQM is showing a slight increase in pings and lost packets, but I assume that's because BT haven't got both host links working yet and you lot are getting in my way?

:P
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Rik

;D

It shouldn't be, Bill, but I'll go an eat now and give you some extra space. ;)
Rik
--------------------

jameshurrell

Updated: 20 October 2010 21:11:17
Message: The outage this evening was caused by an Openreach engineer testing the wrong ciruit - he took the live circuit off line, tested it and declared it operational! We're sending them back to fix the circuit that is still down.

I know things can go wrong, but flippin 'eck... unbelievable incompetence  :o ???

DorsetBoy

Quote from: jameshurrell on Oct 20, 2010, 21:27:21
Message: The outage this evening was caused by an Openreach engineer testing the wrong ciruit - he took the live circuit off line, tested it and declared it operational! We're sending them back to fix the circuit that is still down.

I know things can go wrong, but flippin 'eck... unbelievable incompetence  :o ???

Sounds like the berk I had here a couple of years ago  ::) ::)

Technical Ben

Someone said they were on ADSL but it still died. Riks explained, but I thought I'd ramble on as well, as always.  :red:

OH. If you are on an ASDL2+ Exchange it would effect you as well. This is because when the exchange is upgraded, they rip out the old ADSL hardware. So you were on a virtual ADSL, but running on ADSL2+ hardware. Confusing I know.
The problem appeared to be...
1) Last week BT deleted all the server details that run our internet through IDNet. It got put back thankfully.
2) Some time today, something went wrong with one of the two Hostlinks. The ADSL customers got transferred instantly (not even noticeable) to the spare Hostlink. This is what the backup is for. Like all things, sometimes it breaks. But it's suppose to cope!
3) It appears, from 1) that the ASDL2+ customers where not restored to the backup hostlink. So their connection died.
4) Something happened getting the ASDL2+ customers onto the second hostlink, so everyone dropped off.
5) we are all now back on hostlink 2, and an Openreach engineer is turning on Hostlink 1 ASAP. I say "turning on" he might end up pressing the "self destruct" button!
:eek4:
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

winspiration

Quote from: jameshurrell on Oct 20, 2010, 21:27:21

I hope that doesn't mean we're due for a third outage then when BT are back on site to 'fix' it again :(

gingerjedi

Quote from: DorsetBoy on Oct 20, 2010, 21:16:07
No one has said Adsl Max was not affected. The details are on the status page showing what and when occurred.

"2010-10-20 13:30: ADSL Max lines on the 20C broadband network are successfully failing over to the working BT Gigabit link but ADSL2+ lines on the 21C network are not. BT are diagnosing".

Thats how I read it?

sat_mad

I'm new to IDNet (about a month), and after two outages I'm already looking to move elsewhere.  :-\

ou7shined

Quote from: Technical Ben on Oct 20, 2010, 21:23:57
Well. It was exciting while it lasted. I'm with you there Rik, on the "that's only 0.15% downtime". 8736 hours in a year. Let's be very generous and say it's 24 hours downtime (12 last time, 12 this time. even though that is not true, it may be how long it takes for people to get back from work, and try again later). That is still less than 0.003% downtime.*

My parents net was dying all the time a year or so ago. BT used their "scapegoat" phrase back then of "we will send a new router". The difference is, IDNet is transparent and honest. If this had been BT, it would have all been hush hush and denials. The customers would have been given a call centre message of "you must restart your PC. You have a virus" and customers are none the wiser to the real error.
So  :thumb: to IDNet for still working hard amongst the evil giants.

*Do 364 divided by 1 day. ;)
Some of us had 3 days straight downtime earlier this year. Would you be as chipper if it happened to you?
Rich.

Klaatu barada nikto!

DorsetBoy

Quote from: gingerjedi on Oct 20, 2010, 21:34:59

"2010-10-20 13:30: ADSL Max lines on the 20C broadband network are successfully failing over to the working BT Gigabit link but ADSL2+ lines on the 21C network are not. BT are diagnosing".

Thats how I read it?

ADSL Max was affected when a switch was made, you however as Ben explained are NOT on adsl max your exchange was upgraded which means there is no Max equipment there now. You are still on the ADSL2+ kit but the line is re modulated to Max speeds.

gingerjedi

Quote from: DorsetBoy on Oct 20, 2010, 21:38:22
ADSL Max was affected when a switch was made, you however as Ben explained are NOT on adsl max your exchange was upgraded which means there is no Max equipment there now. You are still on the ADSL2+ kit but the line is re modulated to Max speeds.

I get it now.

sobranie

Rik posted @2100 ..........  It would be possible to build a network with enough redundancy to survive all but nuclear attack ............
Amendment list 1

Delete 'nuclear attack'

Insert  'Openreach engineer dickhead.

list ends

sof2er

Quote from: .Griff. on Oct 20, 2010, 21:20:22
http://www.nango-gamers.co.uk/forum/

http://www.andalucia.com/forums/index.php

Both give me the BTW SI message onscreen. Most of my other bookmarks are fine.

Both work for me Griff, I think it's something down your end with either the modem or the router not correctly obtaining DNS or something related.

My ping timers have increased to 22-23 ms apparantly (a 4ms~ increase) and the line is showing some packet loss already....

psp83

There does seem to be more packet loss at the mo.

esh

I have average 90ms latency (from 15ms) with spikes to 2000ms, this is 1 minute averages.
CompuServe 28.8k/33.6k 1994-1998, BT 56k 1998-2001, NTL Cable 512k 2001-2004, 2x F2S 1M 2004-2008, IDNet 8M 2008 - LLU 11M 2011