Test my Connection

Started by CountDuckulla, Oct 04, 2009, 20:27:36

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDuckulla

Hi all

If i want to do a full test of my connection speed up and down ping etc what tests would you all recommend?

Regards

Mike

Lance

The best way to test th ping is simply through the command prompt or there is a piece if software which does it graphically over a period of time. I can't remeber the precise name of the program but it's written by the same person as routerstats.

For speed tests, best bet is the BT speedtest, followed by thinkbroadband's.
Lance
_____

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

CountDuckulla

Thanks for the advice,

I have run some tests and have come back with the following.

BT speed Test

Download speedachieved during the test was - 4853 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :8128 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 7150 Kbps

My Routers status page tells me the following

Connection Speed DownStream 8128 kbps Upstream 448 kbps
Line Attenuation DownStream 16.0 db  Upstream 7.0 db
Noise Margin DownStream 12.8 db Upstream 25.0 db

using CMD ping www.bbc.co.uk

6 runs 20ms,23ms,23ms,31ms,39ms and 20ms average

My connection should have error correction turned off.

From what i know it doesn't look to bad but that is an uneducated view, anyone else got an opinion on these stats?

Regards

Mike

Lance

You've got a good line with plently of noise margin to spare.

Throughput is low for the profile (I would expect 6500+). If you could run BT speedtests at different times of the day for a few days it will let us see if there is a problem or whether it was a one off.

Pings on the whole look ok, although the 39ms one looks a bit high compared to the other ones. Certainly not high enough to worry about though unless you game. :)
Lance
_____

CountDuckulla

Thanks for the reply Lance

Quote from: Lance on Oct 04, 2009, 22:52:50
You've got a good line with plently of noise margin to spare.

Throughput is low for the profile (I would expect 6500+). If you could run BT speedtests at different times of the day for a few days it will let us see if there is a problem or whether it was a one off.

I will do this, although working in London none of the tests will be run before 7:30-8:00 in the evening which always puts me in the peek time frame

QuotePings on the whole look ok, although the 39ms one looks a bit high compared to the other ones. Certainly not high enough to worry about though unless you game. :)

I would say 80% of my online time is gaming via an Xbox, how do i investigate the ping times further, just using CMD to get ping times doesnt seem to tell me much about what could be causing the problem, if there is indeed a problem.

Regards

Rik

Try using tracert, Mike, that will show where any delays occur. The caveat, however, is that many routers give low priority to pings, so the answers are not necessarily representative of normal traffic.
Rik
--------------------