Your WBC experience

Started by Rik, Jul 19, 2009, 12:41:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

Not to mention half your hardware if you're really unlucky.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

zappaDPJ

Quote from: Rik on Aug 25, 2009, 13:01:56
Same here, Bob. We need to weather what is clearly a BT storm...

I'd liken them more to a cold and damp Monday morning than a storm  :whistle:
zap
--------------------

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Glenn

Quote from: Gary on Aug 27, 2009, 10:27:28
I am not sure if our exchange will ever be updated to WBC  :'( we have a date for 21CN which is Q1 2011 but no WBC date at all, we dont even get a 3G signal here on any of the networks

You should be getting a Three/T-Mobile signal in the next year or so Gary, they are trying to give 98% coverage of the UK.
Glenn
--------------------

onerob

For the last three Fridays evenings, I've been getting much higher download speeds than I would nornally get throughout the rest of the week. This time it's gone through the roof:

:) :) :)

Perhaps it's because most people are down the pub? It normally calms down later. Still, things seem to be improving for me.

I saw a BT Openreach van parked in my road the other day. Hmm...

Sebby

Hopefully it's because BT are getting their act together. :)

Simon

He was probably just having his lunch.  ;)
Simon.
--

onerob

Let's hope he takes his van and lunch on tour around the UK  ;D

Rik

Milton Keynes will be quite far enough.  ;D
Rik
--------------------

Rik

I'm having a love/hate relationship with WBC. I've been running with a throughput ~2/3rds of my profile for 8 days now, so it's actually slower than my Max connection, both up and down stream. I don't blame IDNet, clearly BT have dropped the ball with WBC, but I'm afraid that puts me back in the "If I were you I'd wait a while before 'upgrading'" camp.
Rik
--------------------

drummer

When I first migrated to WBC in was all hunky dory for about a week then, like many others, my throughput dropped to sub-Max speeds and pings were constantly above 150ms.  Following the forum request from IDNet, I sent in BT speed tests over several days.

Didn't hear anything for a couple of weeks until I received an email from Miriam telling me I hadn't been forgotten and the investigation was still ongoing.  Just over a week ago Simon emailed to let me know that BT had finally accepted there was a problem which should be fixed over the weekend.

Rebooted the router last Monday as instructed and it's been fine ever since.  Throughput now averages 13000kbps (with the occasional dip to Max speeds) and pings are now 21ms.

When I migrated to Max in its infancy, my ISP was Tiswas and that was frustration beyond belief, which is why I ended up getting my MAC and moving here. Migrating to WBC with IDNet has, on the other hand, been little more than a minor irritant.  I'm glad I stuck it out and I honestly don't know what I'd advise about migrating to WBC.  Probably something along the lines of "It depends on what ISP you're with."
To stay is death but to flee is life.

Rik

Thanks, Drummer. Monday was when my problems started - you must have got my speed. ;)
Rik
--------------------

Noreen

I wonder what happened after that first week because it was the same for me. Had about 14Mbps then it dropped to 1 - 2Mbps with constant disconnections. Support worked on BT and I now get around 12Mbps with only the occasional disconnection and I'm happy with that. ;D

Rik

My gut feeling, Noreen, is that BT hadn't got the network to support the number of connections they sold, and they've been juggling and playing catchup since.
Rik
--------------------

philmatthews

Hi guys. How are things with the WBC problems in general? Have things been improving in recent months? It's been 10 weeks since I upgraded to ADSL2+ and my connection went down to around 2000 kbps (or under) and it has never gone above this speed in this time.

IDNet have been on the case for the last couple of months chasing BT up for me but they've not been able to tell me if (or when) things will improve.

Keeping my fingers crossed things pickup but, if they don't, is the change to ADSL2+ reversible? My old connection was around 45000 - 5000 kbps which I think I'd take right now!

David

Hi Phil I think the last part of your question I can answer is I don't think it is reversible but not 100% certainly not without a charge with some isps but don't quote me on it
Many hammer all over the wall and believe that with each blow they hit the nail on the head.

Simon

No, it seems it's not reversible.  As I understand it, if you ask to go back to Max, BT will just cap your speed, to make it look like a Max connection, but any problems you have with WBC will still remain.  :(
Simon.
--

Fox

Quote from: Rik on Aug 29, 2009, 15:40:07
Milton Keynes will be quite far enough.  ;D

Not quite the end of the world....but I hear you can see it from there  :P
True power doesn't lie with the people who cast the votes, it lies with the people who count them