Reply from 212.69.36.10: bytes=32 time=114ms TTL=59
Reply from 212.69.36.10: bytes=32 time=52ms TTL=59

Ping statistics for 212.69.36.10:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 52ms, Maximum = 148ms, Average = 111ms

Rik

Quote from: Aaron on Oct 01, 2009, 20:47:18
High pings tonight. Honestly what's going on? Having high pings in the afternoon was "acceptable" but to have it in the evening since yesterday isn't.

As I keep saying, people with ping issues need to contact support. There's nothing we can do here to help, sorry.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Simon

And, just to add, they need to contact support during the day, as pings are not seen as a priority 'out of hours'.
Simon.
--

Rik

Rik
--------------------

dujas

It would be better if you made a sticky on the forum explaining the congestion issue, the more frequently it is occurring, the more people are noticing its effects.

Rik

I'd prefer it to come from IDNet. ;)
Rik
--------------------

psp83

Pings are fine but my connection has just dropped twice within 5mins, Sync speed still the same though  ???

Lance

Was it sync or ppp you lost? I'm guessing sync as you mentioned it which is local to your line from the exchange to the house. It may have BT doing some work.
Lance
_____

rireed3

Quote from: psp83 on Oct 02, 2009, 23:03:50
Pings are fine but my connection has just dropped twice within 5mins, Sync speed still the same though  ???

There is a sticky for loss of service just so we can count these cases.

Richard

Rik

Rik
--------------------

MattBeale

My speeds are quite good right now, not the best they've been, but a very reasonable 7Mbit/sec (average from testing on a couple of different sites, and leaving out the highest and lowest scores), but the pings are still all over the shop. One minute they're 25~30ms next they're 180ms+.  :dunno:

Xbox Live is still painful to play on right now. I still haven't managed to get my Halo ODST fix because of the problems :(

Rik

You're on WBC, aren't you?
Rik
--------------------

MattBeale

I am, yep. Jumped on the ADSL2+ the moment it was available at my exchange, and somewhat regret having done it now. Went from a rock solid ADSL Max 8Mbit with uptimes of 14 days or more to a glitchy ADSL2+ that re-syncs 4 or 5 times a week and at anywhere between 9 and 12MBit.

Guess that's the price you pay for early adoption?

(Just like the £49.99 I used to pay for 512K on BTOpenWorld. Those were the days.)

Sebby

To some extent, I think that ADSL2+ is always going to suffer from these problems due to it using frequencies that were not used on Max.

Rik

Quote from: MattBeale on Oct 03, 2009, 13:19:54
I am, yep. Jumped on the ADSL2+ the moment it was available at my exchange, and somewhat regret having done it now. Went from a rock solid ADSL Max 8Mbit with uptimes of 14 days or more to a glitchy ADSL2+ that re-syncs 4 or 5 times a week and at anywhere between 9 and 12MBit.

You can ask support to increase the stability of the line, they have specific tools for the job with WBC. For me, WBC has got steadily better, but some areas of the country are still experiencing BT congestion.
Rik
--------------------

MattBeale

Let me guess, increasing stability means turning down the sync speed?

Rik

That's the equation I'm afraid.
Rik
--------------------

juiceuk

Quote from: Rik on Oct 02, 2009, 08:52:34
As I keep saying, people with ping issues need to contact support. There's nothing we can do here to help, sorry.

I not spending time taking ping test and going through the hoops when they won't do anything anyway and just reply with Ping uses ICMP, which has low priority, la la la. I just like to see if I'm the only one with a problem or not and people posting pings lets me know this. The status page is a joke so thats no help.

Tracing route to www.idnet.net [212.69.36.10]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     3 ms     3 ms     3 ms  192.168.1.1
 2    40 ms     *      122 ms  telehouse-gw2-lo2.idnet.net [212.69.63.55]
 3   105 ms    94 ms    76 ms  telehouse-gw3-g0-1-400.idnet.net [212.69.63.243]

4    57 ms    62 ms    59 ms  redbus-gw2-g0-1-331.idnet.net [212.69.63.5]
 5    75 ms     *      118 ms  redbus-gw1-fa2-0-300.idnet.net [212.69.63.225]
 6    98 ms   101 ms   104 ms  www.idnet.net [212.69.36.10]

Trace complete.

Lance

The problem is, if you don't contac support how can they try and work towards a solution?

If there is ever a wide spread problem with pings, the forum has numerous members posting. At the moment, it is only a handful of members which makes tracking the problem very difficult or means it is down to an individual's line and exchange.
Lance
_____

juiceuk

Not exactly working towards a solution if all I'll get told is ICMP is treated as low priority. Whats the point in me even bothering to send them it if it's that useless. The problems is know already is it not? The load balancing keeps messing up.

dujas

Latency was high for me at one point this evening, but as has been said many times before, manually reconnect your router's ISP connection (or just reset the router) to 'load balance' yourself on to a less congested pipe. Using a ping graph type program before and after is a handy way to see if you've fixed the issue.

Unfortunately, unless you move to a different provider, you'll just have to get used to this problem periodically re-occurring until all of Idnet's 20CN customers are switched over to use their 21CN hostlink. This will hopefully happen in the next 1-2 months.

Lance

It may be the load balancing (in which case the reboot will normally work) or it may be something else.

Hopefully the host link will be in and tested sooner rater than later!
Lance
_____

dujas

If:

1. You're currently paying for one of Idnet's ADSL Max products (i.e. Home PAYG, Home Lite, Home Max or Home Supermax).

2. The "Virtual paths" of the telephone exchange your phone line is connected to aren't listed as yellow/red here.

3. No-one/nothing else (checked for malware etc) is also using the connection.

4. You've verified your latency is actually higher than normal, via a ping graph program like Ping Plotter or by typing "ping www.idnet.net -n 100" at the Command Prompt.

Then most likely the BT Central you're currently routed through is congested. The best course of action to resolve the situation is to manually try and move yourself to another pipe as described in post #120.

Rik

I'd agree with everything you say, but with one caveat, the Plusnet checker doesn't seem to be kept current any more. :(
Rik
--------------------

dujas

"Record last updated: 18 Sep 09" it says for my exchange, I know it's not exactly up to the minute in terms of accuracy, but it's all we have from BT Openreach/Wholesale!