AAISP New Prices

Started by Tacitus, Oct 09, 2009, 16:19:52

Previous topic - Next topic

David

It must be me but I have read and reread it and just think and it could be unjustified that it will mean higher bills...but what do I know ?
Many hammer all over the wall and believe that with each blow they hit the nail on the head.

Rik

The key word is could. A&A's tariff reminds me of some of the mobile phone ones, complex and needing careful monitoring.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

David

Yes but I cant be bothered to monitor anything like this I will judge it on my monthly outlay and if it just means I am paying more than before that will do me......A&A are going to enter the mobile phone world soon according to the blog...with something "Different"  :dunno:
Many hammer all over the wall and believe that with each blow they hit the nail on the head.

Rik

I wouldn't move to A&A, were I considering a move, simply because they seem to make things too complicated and their excess charges are, imo, excessive.
Rik
--------------------

David

This appears to bear all that out Rik VFM ?I am still undecided on this.I have seen about a weeks work at my exchange (more if you count the odd evenings work)I think they have now finished and I shall be watching closely to see if the service improves if it does then I will be in a better position to evaluate things

I think it is too complicated for the average user and for once I don't include myself in this in fact people I talk too and I have actually helped consider me a geek !!! which gives some idea of what the average users abilities are.
I think I might be lazy but I have better things to do with my life than trying to keep up with this system which for me is just over the top

Rik

I agree completely. Looking at the clock before doing anything is not of interest to me.
Rik
--------------------

Ray

Ray
--------------------

David

Quote from: Rik on Nov 25, 2009, 10:48:09
I agree completely. Looking at the clock before doing anything is not of interest to me.

Which is what I find I have been doing and it might have shown even here...and I have upgraded my package it takes a lot of the enjoyment and freedom out of using the net.OK it could be said its my fault and that I should read up and calculate it all but like I say I am lazy perhaps I think its just too much to work it out I don't want to sit here with a calculator.

David

Simon

You should be able to use the web enjoyably at any time, David, not be counting the minutes you spend online.
Simon.
--

David

What it reminds me of is this Simon...filling your car with petrol and having £20 in your pocket and you hold that lever for dear life hoping to get it right...lose concentration and you have gone past that point  :eyebrow:

bobleslie

I am quite surprised at how little adjustment Val and I had to make M-F 9-6. Outside these office hours the allowance of 100GB is virtually unlimited for even quite heavy users.

She, of course, carries on in her own sweet way, and I just have to postpone downloading very large files, such as DVD Linux versions. The adjustment was much easier than I thought it would be. In fact, I over estimated my peak requirement and have since dropped a subscription level which has led to a significant reduction in monthly costs.

So I'm paying considerably less, for a line which I control, and which works correctly 24/7/365.

As for the new prices and units system, I'll be getting an additional half a GB peak allowance for the same money, with the added flexibility of being able to cross-subsidise usage between peak and off-peak. It's a win-win situation by exercising a minimum of restraint.

YMMV.  ;)
=Bob=.
Sky/Easylink LLU. Thankfully! ;-)

David

Thanks Bob...so that applies to me then.... that's the point I am not as academic as you  :bawl:

YMMV ? ???

bobleslie

Your Mileage May Vary.  ;D
=Bob=.

David

:hehe: Thats clearer then  :whistle:

bobleslie

Quote from: badpianoplayer on Nov 25, 2009, 12:47:16
Thanks Bob...so that applies to me then.... that's the point I am not as academic as you  :bawl:

YMMV ? ???

I'm on 2GB, so I'll need at least 2 units for peak and 1 unit for off-peak = 3 units. Those 2 units for peak are worth an extra half GB download at peak.

You're on 4GB, so unless you decide to downgrade your sub., you'll need 4 units for peak and 1 unit for off-peak = 5 units. Those 4 units for peak are worth an extra 1GB download at peak. Lucky you.

You'll find your subscription will work out the same(ish) and you'll now be able to use your units whenever you like but they'll reduce at a different rate according to when you're using them. Just keep an occasional eye on your usage monitor.

You may even be able to reduce your overall units requirement to 4 units, thus saving money, but it may be more sensible to stay where you are for now and review at the end of each month.

HTH
=Bob=.

David

Thanks for this so its concrete and clay then.......Unit 4 plus 2  ;D

I am totally confused.......units,Gigs pounds,salt,bank charges.....ISO and life in general  :bawl:

Jill !!!!! I need you   >:D

bobleslie

I'll deal with you later, David.

I'm off for some lunch.

Your homework is 'to read the AAISP news item again.....twice. Slowly'.

You will be tested ..... later. The pass mark is 60%.  ;D
=Bob=.

David

I will have to set an hour aside from the rest of my jobs...so I may get to reread it again about 3 am on the 7th Jan 2012...but  thats a provisional booking  ;D

Steve

Sounds like a very non linear usage monitor
Steve
------------

Lance

David, this should help you better understand units!  ;D
Lance
_____

David

I would agree Steve if I had a clue what you mean  ;D

I am just a lowly lad wiv a bad education......we didn't cover price tarriffs though for internet users.......how to use an abacus was bad enough  ;D

David

Quote from: Lance on Nov 25, 2009, 14:40:41
David, this should help you better understand units!  ;D

Thank you Lance I don't drink...................................yet !!

Steve

I'll try to confuse you then  ;D

Quotes

"A unit is at least one gigabyte of peak time download."

"Each 100GB of off peak tariff also counts as a unit"

"though at 1000GB per unit"

See its straightforward unit ;D
Steve
------------

David

:stars: :hide: I will just pay

Date   25/11/09 20:11:47
Speed Down   2237.34 Kbps ( 2.2 Mbps )
Speed Up   643.57 Kbps ( 0.6 Mbps )

Anyone got any Vic.....?