ADSL2+

Started by Baz, Oct 10, 2009, 13:49:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Baz

am thinking of upgrading to this since my exchange is enabled, got the e amil from IDNet, whats it like for any one who uses it. good/bad, any problems.

is there a training period if you upgrade

Steve

If I had the opportunity now I think I would say no but that's easy for me on a full sync and an exchange that not due to be upgraded til 03/10. Why? I still thinks a lottery as to whether you'll be any better off or worse at the present time.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Simon

I think it depands on a lot of factors, Baz, and it benefits some more than others, but things to seem to be settling down now, after a shaky start.  There's too many threads on here to list, but you might want to start with this one, then browse the IDNet Help boards for more.  I haven't taken the step myself yet, but I expect others who have will soon be along to comment.
Simon.
--

Sebby

Simon has put it very well. I think it's still a risk, and a lot depends on how good your line is. If you have a good Max service, I'd be inclined to hold off.

Baz

good points there  thanks. still early days then?

dujas

Well once again we're pushing closer to the limits of BT's local loop infrastructure, so expect signs of instability to increase. But really it depends upon your telephone line length, >3.5Km and the speeds gains start to become marginal over ADSL1.

Having said that, I would switch without hesitation if available. Some ISPs may pass on a price cut for 21CN customers in January 2010.

butlersoft

I think I must be near the end of the line from the Exchange ....

My upgrade was completed yesterday but I'm still just about getting 2MBit down / 756kbps up ....

Sebby

:welc: :karma:

Could you post the stats from your router?

Ray

Ray
--------------------

quandam

Baz

Maybe this thread will throw more light on your query? http://www.idnetters.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=15238.0

Baz

thanks I have been looking at that thread lately  :thumb:

glen

I think it's slowly improving. I went over to wbc as soon as it started, but my experience was terrible, so went back to max after 2 weeks of slow speeds, and the rest of it. I went back over to wbc a few weeks ago and there has been a big improvement with stability, speed, as in throughput, and it's definitely stabilized but thats my own experience of it. The adsl routers that would not work under adsl2+ now work again so something is improving.
They must find it difficult...
Those who have taken authority as the truth,
Rather than truth as the authority

JD_LincsUK

I was also on the WBC platform as soon as my exchange was upgraded (Feb 2009) and, even on adsl max - it increased my speed nearly fourfold - from less than 1MB to 4MB IP profile and a good 3.8meg speed on the tests.

This did get lowered to 3MB due to upload errors, which I didn't really care about - I didn't notice any problems on 4MB/s and would gladly have stayed there.

When I switched to adsl2+ I didn't notice any difference, but my IP profile never went above 3500. I think that had more to do with Entanet than anything else - but after a brief period on standard adsl max, which allowed me to see the real and large benefits of being on WBC - I am now back on adsl2+ and a good, steady 3000kbps.

I do have some bad issues - but they are entirely due to Entanet (apparently over-subscribing and a nuts ALT system).

So I'd say, definitely go for WBC, but if you have the chance to go adsl or adsl2+ on it, adsl may be faster (though maybe not more stable).

You also have more control over your line config on adsl2+ than on standard '20CN' adsl (i.e. not dependant on BT finally getting their behinds in gear).

That's my experience - hope it helps.  ;)

JD

Noreen

I'm on ADSL 2+.

On 1 Nov I got this BT Speed Test .......
Download speed achieved during the test was - 91 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1000-99999 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :15046 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 650 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 13000 Kbps

After a router reboot on 2 Nov I got this....
Download speed achieved during the test was - 12220 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1000-99999 Kbps.Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :17132 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 1059 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 13000 Kbp

Yesterday afternoon and evening I couldn't connect to the internet at all although all lights on the router were on and it said that I was connected. I rebooted the router to no effect. I was ready to ring Support but thought that I'd try one more reboot this morning and it connected. Just tried the BT Speed Test and got the attached result. Just hope that it stays like this but ADSL 2+ seems to be a switchback.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Rik

BT appear to be juggling their bandwidth around, Noreen. :(
Rik
--------------------

drummer

It's all a bit bonkers really.

Test from about 30 minutes ago:

Download speed achieved during the test was - 14135 Kbps (Lower than Noreen but normal for me)
<Snip>
Your DSL Connection Rate :18085 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 1151 Kbps(UP-STREAM) (Higher than Noreen but normal for me)
IP Profile for your line is - 15000 Kbps  (Higher than Noreen but normal for me)

I'm certainly not complaining about my speed or throughput, but the BT profiling system makes no sense to me.

Or maybe I'm missing something.
To stay is death but to flee is life.

Rik

Your profile is correct, Drummer, you fall just short of the 16M profile. The throughput looks good for the profile.
Rik
--------------------

psp83

Just logged into idnet website and noticed the date has changed for me.

ADSL2+ Availability: 01/12/09 to 31/12/09

It was march next year.

What are the pings like on a none interleaved line? I might change over but it all depends how stable ADSL2+ is since i need my connection for my work.

Rik

I find pings a bit slower than on Max, but that may be to do with the stabilisation that gives me an extra 1.5M. At best, they have been the same as Max.
Rik
--------------------

wiltshirejohn

I'm quite happy with the speeds I'm getting on MAX (see below) but I keep bumping the bandwidth limit.

Is it possible to switch to ADSL2+ to take advantage of the higher allowance. I'm not sure if my exchange has been upgraded yet, which leads to...

Second question: One of the speed test sites (or was it a line survey site?) showed my exchange status wrt ADSL2+ but I cannot remember which one. Any clues would be much appreciated.

Regards - wiltshirejohn

Rik

Samknows is the best bet, John.
Rik
--------------------

wiltshirejohn

Thanks Rik - that's the one I was thinking of.

Samknows says "21CN PSTN switchover target:  Q4 2009."

So I guess I'll just have to wait.

In his opening post of this thread Baz said that he got an email from IDnet. Is that the normal process ?

Regards - wiltshirejohn  (carefully watching the broadband meter!!)

psp83

Sam knows still says March 2010 for me but IDnet site says Dec 2009.

???

wiltshirejohn

The IDnet site gives my ADSL2+ availability as  "                 ".

Yup, that's right - nothing!   ??? ??? ???

Regards - wiltshirejohn

Rik

Give them a ring, John.
Rik
--------------------