Just jumped ship from O2....

Started by tredders, Nov 04, 2009, 13:23:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

Odd, I have nightmares about it. :)
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

Rik

We're not a happy bunch, are we. :(
Rik
--------------------

Colin Burns

Quote from: tredders on Nov 04, 2009, 15:01:51

My IDNet order is all placed - ironically O2 managed to give me my Mac code within an hour of me requesting it.  Quite why they choose to exhibit their best customer service when someone is leaving is beyond me, but I'm not complaining  :D

Cheers again - look forward to contributing in some of the other threads here.

Tredders

that could be because they are scared of Ofcom

tredders

Ok - today's update (and apologies to anyone bored by it all!).  A few people have asked me to let them know progress though, so I'm continuing with the updates...

The VP upgrade has been completed, but my problem still exists.  The (excellent) support guy from IDNet spoke to his contact at BT, and 4 out of the 5 VPs on our exchange have been upgraded.  Guess which VP I'm on?  That's right - the 5th one, which hasn't been upgraded!  Could have put money on that  :D

Anyway, IDNet have requested that I get moved from the current VP to the new one, which will apparently take 3 days.  Once this is done, my problems should be solved (please God!). 

Sebby

Lance

Now could you imagine having that conversation with Bryan from india?!
Lance
_____

Rik

Yes, but only when I want to terrify myself. ;D
Rik
--------------------

tredders

Well, here we are again  :whistle:

Nothing's changed - I still have intermittent connections... at best, I'm getting an hour a day of 1MB (which feels like heaven), followed by 7 or 8kbps for the rest of the time.  So, my connection is pretty much unusable, so as I'm supposed to work from home, I'm having to spend all my time in the office (which is an hour's drive away).

Heard nothing back from either IDNet or BT, so made a couple of phone calls in the week.  IDNet contacted BT, and said that I've still not been moved to another VP, despite the fact it was supposed to have been completed a week ago.  I was told it would be completed in 3 days (heard that before, eh?), which would have been last Friday, but of course, nothing has changed. 

I'm beginning to realise that this will take as long as it takes, and nothing I can do will speed it up.  However, it's now been around 6 weeks since all of this started, and to say that it's wearing a little thin now is an understatement.  Kinda makes you realise how much you take a stable, fast internet connection for granted...

Rik

BT can be a pain with this kind of thing, they give a date to the ISP, they break (but don't tell the ISP) and on it goes. Have you asked for your case to be escalated with BT? If not give support a call and ask them to do so. Once I did that, BT got off their collective backside.
Rik
--------------------

exxos

I am on O2 and looking to swap here very soon! I am with the access package (BE there) and the past year its been pretty good. Though last couple of months its 5k/sec and while they said they would traffic shape to 50K for P2P in busy times, really they mean 5k during busy times, and well, after 11pm is supposed to be unlimited speed, but 95% of the time its still at 5k. My 12 months is up today and my friend suggested I try IDnet. apparently he knows someone who works there too!

Does not look like my line will do ADSL2 :-(  But are IDnet planning on any price changes or any types of speed capping over the next 12 months ?

I noticed just about all the common ISP's are having issues with 5k/sec downloads, its normal web browsing not just P2P! TBH, I do not care if the P2P is capped to 50k/sec. But I do use the net a lot as I do websites, and write software, do emails etc etc, so I need it to run fast and not wait 15mins just to download a small email!

Anyway, thought id check in and see what the score is here, no doubt will be joining IDnet when I finally get past O2's automated replies and get my MAC code!

Chris

Glenn

:welc: :karma: Chris

IDNet do not block or throttle any ports, you will most likely find that the speed you get during the day, will be close to what you get during the evening, depending on exchange congestion etc. I believe IDNet are looking at the new BT price structure, before they announce any package changes.
Glenn
--------------------

Technical Ben

Also, take note exxos, IDNet do not have an "all you can eat" or "unlimited" download package. So you will be charged an extra fee if you go over your allowance (depending on what package you get).

However, you do get a better speed because of this. You can also keep track of your usage online and via an RSS feed. So you know if you can use that extra 1 or 2 (or 5 :P) GB of downloads.
It's no problem for someone like me, who can budget both my finances and my bandwidth usage. :) But other may be overly tempted to download 24/7 and meet their limit in just a few days.
But then that's the choice. Have fast internet, and use it well, or "unlimited" and get stuck in traffic.
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

quandam

Quote from: Technical Ben on Jan 19, 2010, 17:55:58
Also, take note exxos, IDNet do not have an "all you can eat" or "unlimited" download package. So you will be charged an extra fee if you go over your allowance (depending on what package you get).

However, you do get a better speed because of this. You can also keep track of your usage online and via an RSS feed. So you know if you can use that extra 1 or 2 (or 5 :P) GB of downloads.
It's no problem for someone like me, who can budget both my finances and my bandwidth usage. :) But other may be overly tempted to download 24/7 and meet their limit in just a few days.
But then that's the choice. Have fast internet, and use it well, or "unlimited" and get stuck in traffic.

Good post and quite correct information. :thumb:

Simon

Simon.
--

Rik

Where are my manners, hi Chris. :welc: :karma:
Rik
--------------------

Steve

Steve
------------

exxos

thanks all :) greetings to all from Staffordshire :)

Looks like my line does not suppose ADSL2, seems a shame as the price seems the same but seems better package with ADSL2.

Thanks for pointing out the DL limits, normally that kinda thing is hidden somewhere.

I did not spot the rss thing, but if it allows me to keep track on how much ive used each day then that would be great! I was on a similar type thing with pipex some years ago, they had 30GB limit and charged £1 per GB over. I only went over a fraction twice in the year so its no biggie!

Some people may think its unfair, but considering O2 is unlimited, it means nothing, as you can't download more than a few MB per day before giving up anyway! I myself may hit the 30GB in the first month, but after that i dont download much so probably wont use more than 10GB thereafter.

Hopefully will be with you guys in a few days! I can't find any bad reviews anywhere, but found miles of pages from other ISP's, some of those pages are probably by me too!

Not sure if my O2 router will work with it, i lost my username and passwords after I changed them, but have a speedtouch 330, presume these will work fine anyway ?

Simon

Isn't the 330 just a USB modem?  I think it will work, but you'd be better off with a router.
Simon.
--

exxos

yeah its a just a modem, i use the O2 router, but in case I cant log into it I can use the speedtouch 330 to get me started until i can figure it out, or buy a new router.

Rik

Make sure you have the latest drivers.
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Lance on Nov 26, 2009, 22:13:30
O2 use only English call centres Lance
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Gary

Quote from: Lance on Nov 26, 2009, 22:13:30
O2 use only English call centres Lance
Quote from: exxos on Jan 19, 2010, 15:05:49
I am on O2 and looking to swap here very soon! I am with the access package (BE there) and the past year its been pretty good. Though last couple of months its 5k/sec and while they said they would traffic shape to 50K for P2P in busy times, really they mean 5k during busy times, and well, after 11pm is supposed to be unlimited speed, but 95% of the time its still at 5k. My 12 months is up today and my friend suggested I try IDnet. apparently he knows someone who works there too!

Does not look like my line will do ADSL2 :-(  But are IDnet planning on any price changes or any types of speed capping over the next 12 months ?

I noticed just about all the common ISP's are having issues with 5k/sec downloads, its normal web browsing not just P2P! TBH, I do not care if the P2P is capped to 50k/sec. But I do use the net a lot as I do websites, and write software, do emails etc etc, so I need it to run fast and not wait 15mins just to download a small email!

Anyway, thought id check in and see what the score is here, no doubt will be joining IDnet when I finally get past O2's automated replies and get my MAC code!

Chris

You say you are on the access package (Be there) O2 Access package is with BT not Be, only LLU is with O2/Be. But moving to Idnet will be an improvement over access but if you have LLU, it wont be as fast.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

wecpcs

Quote from: exxos on Jan 19, 2010, 21:05:45
thanks all :) greetings to all from Staffordshire :)

Looks like my line does not suppose ADSL2, seems a shame as the price seems the same but seems better package with ADSL2.

Thanks for pointing out the DL limits, normally that kinda thing is hidden somewhere.

I did not spot the rss thing, but if it allows me to keep track on how much ive used each day then that would be great! I was on a similar type thing with pipex some years ago, they had 30GB limit and charged £1 per GB over. I only went over a fraction twice in the year so its no biggie!

Some people may think its unfair, but considering O2 is unlimited, it means nothing, as you can't download more than a few MB per day before giving up anyway! I myself may hit the 30GB in the first month, but after that i dont download much so probably wont use more than 10GB thereafter.

Hopefully will be with you guys in a few days! I can't find any bad reviews anywhere, but found miles of pages from other ISP's, some of those pages are probably by me too!

Not sure if my O2 router will work with it, i lost my username and passwords after I changed them, but have a speedtouch 330, presume these will work fine anyway ?

You will not be able to keep the O2 router as it is theirs and they will want it back when you leave or they will charge you for it. They send the packaging to send it back to them post free.

Colin

exxos

heres the image of my O2 line.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/688719835.png

AFAIk, they have O2 and access, where not sure what O2 use, but AFAIK the only other option was access, which cost twice as much.

A few days ago it tested as 6MB, now its 0.77MB :-(  saying that even when it saif 6MB I still couldn't download anything. Normally my email checks every half hour, and used to go that fast i never used to see it checking all my email accounts. Now, its lucky to even check them all, takes several seconds to download one small email.

The mad thing is, yesterday , I downloaded a demo version of some electronics software, and it came down at 300k/sec!

Anyway, I spoke to O2 just, MAC on its way 48 hours, thankfully only in the que for 12mins, English person who asked why I wanted to leave, so I said "slow speed issues" and he said "I had a feeling you was going to say that". So people are leaving O2 in floods and going by O2's forum they have been jumping ship for a while now.

Yes, why do I have to return the router ? that sux, but then again, I forgot what username I put in it so not like I can use it with IDnet anyway. Will have to try and remember what was "in the box" as not a clue, plus I have no idea where the CD went.. Really dont want to get into issues of "ive not sent it all back" and get charged the full price of the thing or something vial like that which companies seem to have no problem in doing :(