Just jumped ship from O2....

Started by tredders, Nov 04, 2009, 13:23:56

Previous topic - Next topic

exxos

The guy at O2 said it could be BT at fault or the exchange, makes me wonder as almost every ISP has had such issues the past few months. A little worrying as IDnet use BT too ?

Rik

Even my line is better than that. :(

Usual box contents are one or two filters, ethernet and RJ11 cables, stand (if applicable), power block and router, plus CD and whatever documentation they chose to supply.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

exxos

yeah, i know theres a filter and cd *somewhere*.. my line according to BT is 3.5M but it normally connected from 6 to 6.8. Even so it never got over 150k/sec even on a good day. 300k/sec would be a luxury for me!

I used to get 600k speed on demon internet years ago, geese, I wrote pages of complaints to them when I wanted to leave! They upgraded our internet package when we terminated our account, then billed us for it, then when we refused to pay they sent dept collection to us. When I rang them up they told us we didn't even have an account with them. The amount of emails and phone calls and letters I wrote in 6 months cos of those idiots!! They only backed down to resolve it when I said I will be taking them to court which after 6 months is just insane in itself!

Ive been though a few ISP's, my friend from mellowms recommended IDnet as TBH I was at a total loss who to actually go with next! Seems I already camped out on this page already  :whistle:  getting used to my new home ;)

Rik

Rik
--------------------

exxos

http://www.speedtest.net/result/689148352.png

don't you guys just feel sorry for me now!

My upload speed is twice as fast as my download speed now, its great if I want to send someone a file!   :dunno:

I thought i would go on Youtube and cheer myself up and watch some random vids, but i can't :-(  actually found myself trying to tidy up the backbedroom today.. Might be bored enough soon to try that portal to another world.. call the front door....

Steve

Steve
------------

exxos

there should be a emotie with a big stick so i can poke people...

Fancy adding a rather large antenna on your router ??   :thumb:

RA-1972

you can borrow some of mine too if you fancy . :welc:

exxos

Give it 10mins the speed will crash by the time ive got my emails.

Gary

Quote from: exxos on Jan 20, 2010, 15:31:46
heres the image of my O2 line.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/688719835.png

AFAIk, they have O2 and access, where not sure what O2 use, but AFAIK the only other option was access, which cost twice as much.

A few days ago it tested as 6MB, now its 0.77MB :-(  saying that even when it saif 6MB I still couldn't download anything. Normally my email checks every half hour, and used to go that fast i never used to see it checking all my email accounts. Now, its lucky to even check them all, takes several seconds to download one small email.

The mad thing is, yesterday , I downloaded a demo version of some electronics software, and it came down at 300k/sec!

Anyway, I spoke to O2 just, MAC on its way 48 hours, thankfully only in the que for 12mins, English person who asked why I wanted to leave, so I said "slow speed issues" and he said "I had a feeling you was going to say that". So people are leaving O2 in floods and going by O2's forum they have been jumping ship for a while now.

Yes, why do I have to return the router ? that sux, but then again, I forgot what username I put in it so not like I can use it with IDnet anyway. Will have to try and remember what was "in the box" as not a clue, plus I have no idea where the CD went.. Really dont want to get into issues of "ive not sent it all back" and get charged the full price of the thing or something vial like that which companies seem to have no problem in doing :(
O2 use two systems LLU and good old BT, the access package is dire, I moved back to Idnet because of those very reasons, the LLU package if they have the equipment in the exchange is pretty good, apart from the long contract of course, never really had issues with CS since its 24/7 phoning at night you got through quickly and got a btter class of help.

O2 just did not realise all you can eat on ADSL MAX does not work, and now they throttle and shape i belive in an attempt to sort the mess out, which it has not. They started off so well.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

exxos

*Shrugs* it says

My package
O2 Home Broadband Access
Monthly charge*
£ 17.50
Contract length
12 months
Date contract ends
19 January 2010

And comes up "Be Unlimited" on speedtest, a few people said O2 use BE. Strange thing is, BE do not cover my area, so unless they sold off the entire thing to O2 in my area I have no idea.

My net is running at 65k/sec now, now why did I think it would speed up when I wanted to leave.... im not stopping with O2, still waiting on my MAC code.

Rik

They have to give it to you within five working days or you can complain to Ofcom.
Rik
--------------------

exxos

My O2 progress... Got my return "jiffy bag" Freepost. Only thing is, I dont have the router box anymore ? Still waiting for my MAC key.

Rik

Push them if it reaches 5 days.
Rik
--------------------

exxos

Will give them Until Monday.

todays spedd results, which seem to be working well for me at the moment.. noticed this yesterday, it ran resonable for a couple of hours then crashed in speed again.

Not convinced that after 2 months of it being unusable that a few hours after I called to leave it started being "better".  Its still very poor though at all times of day. Got 65k/sec for about 2 hours yesterday. Suppose I should be posting this on the O2 forum really! but hope it helps people out who are wanting to Migrate from O2 to here like me!

I also posted my progress on the O2 forum too, I mentioned IDnet, but presume the post will get deleted for it!

Sebby

Quote from: exxos on Jan 22, 2010, 11:08:43
My O2 progress... Got my return "jiffy bag" Freepost. Only thing is, I dont have the router box anymore ? Still waiting for my MAC key.

The O2 router? I believe they'll charge you for that.

exxos

i have the O2 box, not the box it came in.. I guess that would be confusing...  :eek4:

PuncH

Any update from the OP on his connection?

Gary

Quote from: exxos on Jan 21, 2010, 10:21:42
*Shrugs* it says

My package
O2 Home Broadband Access
Monthly charge*
£ 17.50
Contract length
12 months
Date contract ends
19 January 2010

And comes up "Be Unlimited" on speedtest, a few people said O2 use BE. Strange thing is, BE do not cover my area, so unless they sold off the entire thing to O2 in my area I have no idea.

My net is running at 65k/sec now, now why did I think it would speed up when I wanted to leave.... im not stopping with O2, still waiting on my MAC code.
I think its all lumped under Be which is bad as Be are fast and a good provider, O2 Access is so slow its through the BT Adsl Max system and is way over subscribed, I could not believe how bad it was after moving and having used their LLU service. I asked for my mac code and got it the same day with some prodding if I remember rightly.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Sebby

Quote from: exxos on Jan 23, 2010, 00:49:31
i have the O2 box, not the box it came in.. I guess that would be confusing...  :eek4:

I don't think that matters!

exxos

Still waiting for my MAC key.

got this Email from them however.

We're committed to providing a good quality broadband experience and I  wanted to update you on the work we have been doing since my last email.

The traffic management we started in December has been a real improvement for the vast majority of customers, particular those that use streaming services like YouTube or iPlayer. As a result, more customers are using the service, however at peak times you may have experienced slow speeds because of more people making use of the service. To make this better we are investing to increase network capacity, but it will be 3 or 4 months until you will see the full benefit of that investment.

To make an immediate difference, we are contacting more of the customers doing the heaviest downloading on our Access network. To give you an idea how some of the heaviest downloaders compare to the average O2 Home Broadband Access customers who download around 5GB per month (about 15 episodes of EastEnders from iPlayer or similar);  the heaviest downloaders (the top 100 customers) download  between 290 and 1,420GB per month. So the top downloaders, are downloading the equivalent of 4,500 episodes of EastEnders in a month.

We will be continuing to contact the heaviest downloaders asking them to change their behaviour as we know they're having an adverse effect on the majority of our customers.

-----------

though I can't imagine someone buying a new 1TB hard drive each month ??  lol  I have to get my TV off the net cos the signal is so cr*p here even with huge antenna and amplifiers. Even so, I doubt it goes much over 10GB a month in total!  Don't have *that* much time to sit and watch tv either!

Rik

How long has it been since you requested the MAC now?
Rik
--------------------

Glenn

Time to get the big stick out I think
Glenn
--------------------

Rik

That was the way I was thinking...
Rik
--------------------

exxos

its been 6 days, but only 4 working days because of the weekend.