Consistant High Ping/Latency to World of Warcraft

Started by Earnie, Nov 16, 2009, 20:14:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Earnie

Firstly since joining idnet i have generally been happy with the quality of service, Well i left the nightmare of O2 (non LLU) so anything would have been an improvement!

Recently though (last three or four weeks) my latency has dramatically increased when playing World of Warcraft. It doesn't matter what time of day or night it is sitting at around 300/350.
When i first joined up with idnet it was usually around 70/100 which is perfectly acceptable.

While this is happening i can ping bbc/google/idnet ect and get 60-70ish so there doesnt appear to be any fault with my line/exchange.

I often ask my friends playing warcraft (a couple live in same village as myself) and they are getting less than 100 latency but they are on BT broadband and Tiscali.

Is there any reason you guys can think of why i'm having these high pings for a three times more expensive isp than my fellow gamers?

Cheers

Earnie

davej99

If you post a link we could check the site ping.

Earnie

Quote from: davej99 on Nov 16, 2009, 20:29:03
If you post a link we could check the site ping.

I'll let you know my main WoW server address when i find it Dave :) (Auchindoun server)

Glenn

Earnie :welc: :karma:

Have you rebooted your router in the past 2 weeks, if not, you may not have moved off the old centrals on to the hostlink.
Glenn
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Sebby

:iagree:

Failing that, do a tracert and send the results to IDNet and they can investigate.

Lance

We've a few other WoW players here, but I don't think they've mentioned any problems.

If your ping the the BBC and Idnet is over 60 there is something wrong. Even the most heavily interleaved lines aren't that bad. If you can run some pings and tracerts that would be good. I seem to remember that they may well time out before the final hop though because of some firewalls along the way. 
Lance
_____

Simon

Simon.
--

dujas

Do you live in Scotland or Northern Ireland? That along with interleaving is the only reason I think of a ping to www.idnet.net being so high, looks like a general fault rather than just being WoW specific.

The IP for the WoW EU Auchindoun server is 62.67.45.104, it's located in Düsseldorf, Germany. It won't respond to pings, but you can tracert the route taken. Your friends are probably using TcpAckFrequency and TCPNoDelay tweaks to get their reported round trip latency under 100ms.

davej99

Pinging Dusseldorf, sorry no umlaut, at 50ms from das Schottland.