connection loss using a netgear DG834G

Started by stephend, Nov 17, 2009, 12:42:19

Previous topic - Next topic

bridgej

My DG834 v4 Router has started playing up since my upgrade to Windows 7.

If there is internet traffic, then I don't have a problem, ie if I leave it on with Windows Live checking for email every 10 minutes or so.

If there is no internet traffic, then after a period of time, say over night, I cannot connect to the router, I can't login to the router or do anything until I reboot it.

So is it a problem with my router (no settings have been changed) or is the a compatibility issue with Windows 7 or is there a setting in Windows 7 I need to change.

As I say when I'm using the PC, there is no problem, it only occurs when the PC has been idle - I'm not green and the hard drives never turn off etc in the power management settings.

Any ideas?

Rik

Check that the router doesn't time out after a period of inactivity. There's a screen in the Netgear which sets this, but it's been so long since I looked at one that I can't remember quite where. Work your way down the menus at the left of the screen if no-one tells you exactly where. Check also that you don't have Windows putting the NIC to sleep to save power.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

bridgej

Quote from: Rik on Nov 27, 2009, 16:16:32
Check also that you don't have Windows putting the NIC to sleep to save power.

How do I do this?

Rik

I haven't used 7, but assuming there is still a 'My Computer', right click on properties, then Hardware > Device Manager.  Locate the network card and, under power management, check that the "Allow computer to turn this device off to save power" is not enabled. Also available through Control Panel > System.
Rik
--------------------

bridgej

OK thanks, sorted, the option 'allow the pc to turn this device off' was ticked, so it's now unticked  :fingers:

Rik

Rik
--------------------

wecpcs

Quote from: Rik on Nov 27, 2009, 18:05:23
I haven't used 7, but assuming there is still a 'My Computer', right click on properties, then Hardware > Device Manager.  Locate the network card and, under power management, check that the "Allow computer to turn this device off to save power" is not enabled. Also available through Control Panel > System.

Thanks for that Rik, as that has cured a problem I had also, because every time my PC woke from a sleep state it took quite awhile before I could access my Home Server and the rest of my network. I did not realise that Windows 7 had that on by default compared with Vista.

Colin

Rik

I had no idea, of course, Colin. It seems a particularly stupid decision by MS.  :shake:
Rik
--------------------

wecpcs

Quote from: Rik on Nov 28, 2009, 10:58:24
I had no idea, of course, Colin. It seems a particularly stupid decision by MS.  :shake:

It has not cured my problem after all, so I must just put it down to the Sleep mode option which I never used in Vista. I will either have to live with it or simply just turn it off as I cannot find any other setting at all, in my Netgear DG834G v4 or Windows 7.

Colin

Rik

It might be worth asking overn on ThinkBroadband, Colin.
Rik
--------------------