Am I able to get around 5.5Mb/s?

Started by T_M_D, Nov 15, 2009, 14:43:07

Previous topic - Next topic

T_M_D

Hi there,

I am very happy with my 4.4Mb/s consistent since Friday evening at about 6pm when I went 'live' with IDNet and I feel a little greedy asking this, but is it possible I could get it even higher? My son has advised me to leave the router on 24/7 for a few days to see 'how it settles'.

Here are my Netgear stats (tried to insert image, but couldn't do it):

----------------------------------------------
Domain Name Server  212.69.40.3

LAN Port
MAC Address  00:1F:33:86:21:62
IP Address  192.168.0.1
DHCP  On
IP Subnet Mask  255.255.255.0

Modem 
ADSL Firmware Version A2pB023b.d20e
Modem Status Connected
DownStream Connection Speed 5984 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 448 kbps
VPI 0
VCI 38

Wireless Port 
Name (SSID) NETGEARTMD
Region Europe
Channel 11
Wireless AP Enabled
Broadcast Name Enabled
----------------------------------------------------

Thanks. Tina.

Tina

Tacitus

Hi Tina:

The info we need in order to advise you, are the attenuation and the SNR (signal to Noise Ratio).  The former will be something like 40dB and, the latter will have figures for upstream and downstream and will be something like 9dB/18dB.

The numbers quoted are indicative so you know what you are looking for. The actual numbers in your case my be higher or lower.   I'm not sure where to find them on a Netgear as I don't use one, but a little exploration should get you there.   :)

T_M_D

Thanks. Got it:

System Up Time 01:58:47
Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA 12096 17552 0 456 2291 01:58:07
LAN 10M/100M 2124 0 0 25 0 01:58:39
WLAN 11M/54M/270M 22573 15279 0 2677 545 01:58:31

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 5984 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 44.0 db 23.0 db
Noise Margin 15.1 db 15.0 db

Tina

kinmel

That 15dB noise margin should be 6dB, try a router re-boot and see if that improves the figure, if not ask support to investigate.  The margin does not change just because it is a new connection
Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

What is the date of the referendum for England to become an independent country ?

Lance

If you leave the router on 24/7 and your line is stable, you're likely to achieve about 7mb when the noise margin reduces.
Lance
_____

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

T_M_D

Quote from: Lance on Nov 15, 2009, 15:27:39
If you leave the router on 24/7 and your line is stable, you're likely to achieve about 7mb when the noise margin reduces.

Wow. That would be phenomenal. It was 5Mb/s tops with O2 - and that was only early hours of mornings til aound 7am. Will leaving the router on 24/7 reduce the noise or is it def a modem reboot required? I am a bit nervous to do that in case I upset my current 4.4Mb/s - also, I don't actually know how to reboot a router...I am willing to try it though...
Tina

T_M_D

Quote from: kinmel on Nov 15, 2009, 15:20:30
That 15dB noise margin should be 6dB, try a router re-boot and see if that improves the figure, if not ask support to investigate.  The margin does not change just because it is a new connection

Thanks for the advice.  :)
Tina

Rik

It looks like you've been the victim of BT's line management software, Tina. As Lance says, leave the router on 24/7 - this is vital - after 14 days, if the connection remains stable, the margin will be reduced by 3db, after another 14 days by a further 3db, and then another 14 days to reach 6db. Each 3db is worth 5-7k of connection speed. Note that this will not work unless the router remains connected for 14 days continuously and your error count is low. It's highly unlikely that support can get BT to reduce the margin manually, as BT will normally only do this when they clear a fault. Nonetheless, it will do no harm to ask, but I'd recommend the 'organic' approach first. If BT do manually reduce the target noise margin, they seem to go straight back to 15db with any error condition.

How is your router connected to the phone line, eg an extension, and what else is connected to the line?
Rik
--------------------

T_M_D

Ok Rik, will do that. Believe me, going from 0.2-0.5Mb/s with O2 for two months then getting 4.4Mb/s is brilliant so I can certainly try the 'organic' route you recommend and leave my router on. I won't ask BT to help at all as I really, really HATE contacting them and only do so when I really, really HAVE to!

Thanks. Tina.
Tina

Lance

And to reboot the router,  if you haven't got the option with the software disconnect it from the power socket :)
Lance
_____

Lance

It would be Idnet you contact, who speak to BT on your behalf. BT won't talk toyoi at all as it is Idnet who provvide the service.
Lance
_____

Rik

You never need to contact BT, Tina, you always talk to IDNet. Iff you move your voice line across, you'll save a bit of money and still be talking to IDNet if you get a fault. My line became noisy and IDNet had an engineer here within two hours, problem solved. :)
Rik
--------------------

Tacitus

Quote from: Lance on Nov 15, 2009, 15:49:12
It would be Idnet you contact, who speak to BT on your behalf. BT won't talk toyoi at all as it is Idnet who provvide the service.

And iDNet are much nicer people to deal with.....   ;D

T_M_D

Quote from: Lance on Nov 15, 2009, 15:47:47
And to reboot the router,  if you haven't got the option with the software disconnect it from the power socket :)

Thanks for that - I will take a good look around my Netgear set-up to see if I can find it, but I will use the power option if I can't. I have decided not to reboot it and just leave it on 24/7 for a few weeks. My area is a little prone to power cuts so presumably when that does happen, it will reboot the router by proxy...? Hope that doesn't upset things, but guess I have no control whatsoever on that one! :)
Tina

Lance

I've never used a netgear, but I don't think that they have the option. Indeed a power cut will reboot it!
Lance
_____

T_M_D

Quote from: Tacitus on Nov 15, 2009, 15:51:04
And iDNet are much nicer people to deal with.....   ;D

If the people in support are as nice as the administrators on this forum and the top netters then I quite believe it...
Tina

T_M_D

Quote from: Rik on Nov 15, 2009, 15:50:32
You never need to contact BT, Tina, you always talk to IDNet. Iff you move your voice line across, you'll save a bit of money and still be talking to IDNet if you get a fault. My line became noisy and IDNet had an engineer here within two hours, problem solved. :)

Nice sales pitch Rik! Tell me more, I am definitely interested in it...
Tina

T_M_D

How is your router connected to the phone line, eg an extension, and what else is connected to the line?
[/quote]

Oops, nearly missed replying to this: I have Sky Plus TV and the line for that is plugged into one side of the filter and the modem into the other side of it. My telephone is next to the router - perhaps I should move it? I think my BT port socket on the wall is probably pretty old.
Tina

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

Rik

Quote from: T_M_D on Nov 15, 2009, 15:52:07
Thanks for that - I will take a good look around my Netgear set-up to see if I can find it, but I will use the power option if I can't. I have decided not to reboot it and just leave it on 24/7 for a few weeks. My area is a little prone to power cuts so presumably when that does happen, it will reboot the router by proxy...? Hope that doesn't upset things, but guess I have no control whatsoever on that one! :)

Get a small UPS, Tina, well worth it if you have a poor mains feed.
Rik
--------------------

Rik

Quote from: T_M_D on Nov 15, 2009, 15:55:07
If the people in support are as nice as the administrators on this forum and the top netters then I quite believe it...

:kiss:

(They are, btw. :))
Rik
--------------------

Rik

Quote from: T_M_D on Nov 15, 2009, 15:57:17
Nice sales pitch Rik! Tell me more, I am definitely interested in it...

The rates are here:

http://www.idnet.net/solutions/home/phone/

They're competitive compared to BT, no 12 month contract, no interruption to service, it's merely a billing (and support) change.

Rik
--------------------

Ray

Ray
--------------------

Rik

Quote from: T_M_D on Nov 15, 2009, 16:00:23
Oops, nearly missed replying to this: I have Sky Plus TV and the line for that is plugged into one side of the filter and the modem into the other side of it. My telephone is next to the router - perhaps I should move it? I think my BT port socket on the wall is probably pretty old.

Are you in your first 12 months with Sky, Tina, or do you have multiroom? If not, then unplug the box, it can make a world of difference. (BTW, running Sky+ on a UPS can be a good investment too).
Rik
--------------------

T_M_D

Quote from: Glenn on Nov 15, 2009, 16:02:59
Tina, does the master socket look this http://www.idnetters.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,1904.msg31528.html#msg31528

Hi Glenn,

the face plate is not split in two like in the picture, it is one piece and is 2.5" square with a screw to both sides. The screws are directly either side of the jack socket. There is the old British Telecom Logo in the bottom right corner - I have just looked up BT's logos on Wiki and it says it was the logo between 1980-1991 so I guess that puts the socket at at least 18 years old! I suppose the wiring inside could be newer? I wouldn't have a clue about that though and would be terrified to go anywhere near those tiny weeny wires inside the socket!

Tina.
Tina