Am I able to get around 5.5Mb/s?

Started by T_M_D, Nov 15, 2009, 14:43:07

Previous topic - Next topic

T_M_D

Quote from: Rik on Nov 15, 2009, 16:14:08
Get a small UPS, Tina, well worth it if you have a poor mains feed.

I will certainly look into it Rik - thanks.
Tina

Glenn

Quote from: T_M_D on Nov 15, 2009, 16:23:24
Hi Glenn,

the face plate is not split in two like in the picture, it is one piece and is 2.5" square with a screw to both sides. The screws are directly either side of the jack socket. There is the old British Telecom Logo in the bottom right corner - I have just looked up BT's logos on Wiki and it says it was the logo between 1980-1991 so I guess that puts the socket at at least 18 years old! I suppose the wiring inside could be newer? I wouldn't have a clue about that though and would be terrified to go anywhere near those tiny weeny wires inside the socket!

Tina.

OK so you have an older style, and won't have a test socket available if you need to use it in the future. It's not a problem, support would have asked you to connect to it if there was a problem with noise, to eliminate your house wiring.
Glenn
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

T_M_D

Quote from: Rik on Nov 15, 2009, 16:17:50
Are you in your first 12 months with Sky, Tina, or do you have multiroom? If not, then unplug the box, it can make a world of difference. (BTW, running Sky+ on a UPS can be a good investment too).

I've been with Sky for a few years now (TV only - wouldn't go with them for anything else), I don't have multiroom. I turn the box off before I go to bed (or do you mean remove it from the phone socket?), I leave the box on in the day to record things. Why is UPS good for Sky + - does it save on electricity? Tina.
Tina

Rik

Don't touch it, Tina, BT own all of that socket and it's technically illegal to mess with it.
Rik
--------------------

T_M_D

Quote from: Rik on Nov 15, 2009, 16:38:34
Don't touch it, Tina, BT own all of that socket and it's technically illegal to mess with it.

Oooer, shan't.
Tina

Rik

OTOH, it's possible to get filtered face plates and they are a doddle to fit, you just have to take them off if BT are coming.
Rik
--------------------

T_M_D

Quote from: Rik on Nov 15, 2009, 16:42:47
OTOH, it's possible to get filtered face plates and they are a doddle to fit, you just have to take them off if BT are coming.

Hee hee, I like that idea. I have no idea what the benefits are of a filtered face plate - better line quality/less chance of noise?
Tina

Rik

Less chance of noise, the voice side is separated at entry from the ADSL.
Rik
--------------------

Rik

Oh, have we mentioned the ring wire to you? Check if you have a wire on terminal three (it's usually orange/white, but it's the terminal which matters). If you do, disconnect at each socket by gently pulling it upwards, away from the faceplate.
Rik
--------------------

Rik

Quote from: T_M_D on Nov 15, 2009, 16:30:20
I've been with Sky for a few years now (TV only - wouldn't go with them for anything else), I don't have multiroom. I turn the box off before I go to bed (or do you mean remove it from the phone socket?), I leave the box on in the day to record things. Why is UPS good for Sky + - does it save on electricity? Tina.

Sorry, missed the reply. Sky boxes are notorious for putting noise on phone lines, so unless you use interactive services a lot, unplug it from the phone line. By turn off, I hope you mean put into standby, as software updates are generally done at night.

Why the UPS, because a Sky+ box is a computer, so a mains surge or brief outage can cause mayhem. A UPS protects it and tends to make the box more reliable.
Rik
--------------------

Rik

Rik
--------------------

T_M_D

Quote from: Rik on Nov 15, 2009, 16:54:28
Oh, have we mentioned the ring wire to you? Check if you have a wire on terminal three (it's usually orange/white, but it's the terminal which matters). If you do, disconnect at each socket by gently pulling it upwards, away from the faceplate.

:eek4: wouldn't dare take off the faceplate let alone pull any wires out..
Tina

Rik

It's easier than it sounds, honest.
Rik
--------------------

T_M_D

Quote from: Rik on Nov 15, 2009, 17:03:31
Sorry, missed the reply. Sky boxes are notorious for putting noise on phone lines, so unless you use interactive services a lot, unplug it from the phone line. By turn off, I hope you mean put into standby, as software updates are generally done at night.

Why the UPS, because a Sky+ box is a computer, so a mains surge or brief outage can cause mayhem. A UPS protects it and tends to make the box more reliable.

I see what you mean about unplugging it from the phone socket. I will do that, though I had heard they know when it's been done and get shirty about it and send letters saying it shouldn't be done. However, as I don't much use interactive services then I will give it a go. Afraid I turn it off rather than leave it in standby as I assumed it would just download any updates done overnight onto my box when I turned it back on in the morning. Guess I was wrong so duly noted. Thanks. :)
Tina

Rik

They're not interested unless you are in contract or on multiroom. Outside the 1 year point with a single box, they can't enforce the connection, or even request it. Sky+ boxes are designed to be run or in standby 24/7, so you'll get more life from it if you just use standby.
Rik
--------------------

MisterW

QuoteI will do that, though I had heard they know when it's been done and get shirty about it and send letters saying it shouldn't be done.
I'll agree with Rik there. Mine's never been plugged into the phone socket since the initial 12 month contract was up, and that's some years ago...

Rik

Mine didn't last about half an hour after the engineer leaving. ;)
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

Quote from: Lance on Nov 15, 2009, 15:54:32
I've never used a netgear, but I don't think that they have the option. Indeed a power cut will reboot it!

It's in diagnostics. :)

Sebby

Quote from: Rik on Nov 15, 2009, 16:42:47

The other option is to see if you can get BT to fit you one of the new style NTE5 sockets for free. Tell them you want to fit extensions but you can't because you have an old socket.

T_M_D

Quote from: Rik on Nov 15, 2009, 17:13:53
It's easier than it sounds, honest.

Okaaay, I will bear it in mind if I have to do it for any reason any time. BTW have compared prices with BT regarding line rental and IDNet are more expensive for the unlimited evenings and weekends line rental so maybe when it comes down in price... ;)
Tina

Rik

As with all phone tariffs, it's a matter of what fits your usage pattern. Shame. :(
Rik
--------------------

Tacitus

Quote from: Sebby on Nov 15, 2009, 18:38:46
The other option is to see if you can get BT to fit you one of the new style NTE5 sockets for free. Tell them you want to fit extensions but you can't because you have an old socket.

Good idea Seb.  OR should provide a new NTE5a with the built in iPlate, which would mean the bottom half could be replaced with an XTE-2005. 

Now if Tina plied the OR man with cups of tea and just happened to have a modified face plate available, the OR guy might even do it for her....   :)

Rik

It usually works, though sometimes you have to put out for a bacon butty. ;D
Rik
--------------------

davej99

I always switch of my sky box at night and when away. Still get updates. Removed phone lead after twelve months. It stops the box phoning home and receiving incoming calls from Sky. Used to plug it back in to get a pay per view. Now ended subscription and kept card for Freesat from Sky.

I have a netgear router and switching off the power or the odd power cut does not seem to upset it. It sends a message to say it is about to turn off and the exchange is warned. I suggest leaving it on for a few weeks to stabilize the line. I turn off when going away in case there are multiple power dips, thunder etc. and if these events occur when at home. There is a concern if the router is turned off too often in a short time the profile will be lost. Best time to turn on a router and get a high sync is late morning when noise it at its lowest. Early/mid evening is not a good time.

Please excuse me if I am insulting your knowledge, TMS. Before getting started on the tips and wrinkles to get the best speed, it might be helpful to know your phone wiring configuration. Are there extention outlets in other rooms or places and how are they connected? If they are DIY, they should be plugged into the front of the main BT socket with a filter at the other end. Or they should be plugged into a filter connected to the main socket. There could be a mix when using a DIY extention kit which also provides a pass through socket at the main outlet to other phones and appliances.

All connection must pass through a filter at some stage and the sooner the better to reduce noise. If you can fix all extentions to connect to a filter at the main BT outlet, that is the best. And that is the best place to connect a router, with a shortish lead. Long flat router cables can be noisy.

There is the possibility BT have fitted hard wired extentions, or this could have been done covertly. Wires sometimes run on the surface and into the case of the main BT outlet. Sometimes they are in the wall. Remember there must be a filter at the other end in this type of arrangement.

If the main BT outlet is damaged, cracked or loose, as if hit by a vac or a chair, BT might be disposed to fix it. If a split faceplate can be arranged that is ideal. I think you are right to avoid fiddling if you are not confident, or until you can enlist help at home.

T_M_D

Thanks Dave, Rik, Seb and Tacitus for all your comments, all of which are duly noted. I have very little knowledge regarding comms, but I am quite handy really, I can wire a plug, fit a dimmer switch, do a bit of basic plumbing, hang a new door (Ace Painter and Decorator) and I was a pretty good IT bod in the days of MS DOS - oh and I make a mean bacon butty and very good tea when required :) What I am trying to say in a long-winded way, is that if I knew what I was doing, I would be happy to install a new socket. I think I like the idea of the easy-to-fit one that was mentioned (Rik I think it was who mentioned it, sorry, can't seem to find the text).

I have had my sky phone line unplugged since yesterday, speed tests are still very consitent at 4.4Mb/s since changing to IDNet. My downstream noise margin is currently 14.8db, upstream 17db. There was very bad crackling on phone line around 3-4 months ago and I could hear faint echos of other people's conversations sometimes when I was on the phone to someone and I could also hear the Multi-Frequency dialling tones of someone else making a call as well. This problem was fixed though, BT in the end had to come and dig up the road to trace the problem, which turned out to be waterlogging. There also was a problem with 'unbalanced lines' (BT engineer said this meant that one of the two lines between telegraph poles was longer than the other due to slackening off) which I think was sorted also by BT, though I could not be sure.

Dave - I only have an ADSL filter in the phone socket and the phone line is in one side, the router in another, you aren't insulting my knowledge as I have very little regarding comms stuff (learning little-by-little though thanks to you guys).

I don't think I will engage with BT at all unless I really have to.  :) Tina.
Tina