Am I able to get around 5.5Mb/s?

Started by T_M_D, Nov 15, 2009, 14:43:07

Previous topic - Next topic

davej99

Quote from: T_M_D on Nov 16, 2009, 19:42:02
I only have an ADSL filter in the phone socket and the phone line is in one side, the router in another, you aren't insulting my knowledge as I have very little regarding comms stuff (learning little-by-little though thanks to you guys).
In that case, there's not too much to worry about concerning extention wiring, short of ensuring you have a good quality soap on a rope filter, eg from ADSL Nation, and keeping the router cable short.

If you do a BT SPEEDTEST regularly you can plot your sync speed, profile and actual download speed. The sync will improve first and then the rest. This is the only way to check your profile. The sync can be checked from your router. It is also a good idea to check using a cable connection rather than wireless, just to be sure it is working OK.

Some speed testers can be eratic and everyone has their favourite. My suggestion is THINK BROADBAND. You need to register but then you can rate IDNET, so we can keep them up the rankings, and it is easy to plot the results.

T_M_D

Quote from: davej99 on Nov 16, 2009, 20:22:30

Some speed testers can be eratic and everyone has their favourite. My suggestion is THINK BROADBAND. You need to register but then you can rate IDNET, so we can keep them up the rankings, and it is easy to plot the results.

Funny you should say that as I have recently signed up to Think Broadband and just done my first speed test with it. I agree about the erratic nature of the different speed testers, I have regularly used Broadbandspeedchecker and speedtest.net and they can be pretty varied in their results when compared to each other.
Tina

Sebby

Quote from: T_M_D on Nov 16, 2009, 19:42:02
There was very bad crackling on phone line around 3-4 months ago and I could hear faint echos of other people's conversations sometimes when I was on the phone to someone and I could also hear the Multi-Frequency dialling tones of someone else making a call as well. This problem was fixed though, BT in the end had to come and dig up the road to trace the problem, which turned out to be waterlogging. There also was a problem with 'unbalanced lines' (BT engineer said this meant that one of the two lines between telegraph poles was longer than the other due to slackening off) which I think was sorted also by BT, though I could not be sure.

Tell BT you have intermittent crosstalk still; they may swap you over to a new pair.

Lance

The crosstalk has already been fixes, Sebby :)
Lance
_____

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Rik

Hi Tina

Dial 17070 and select option 2, 'Quiet line test'. Do you hear anything there other than a slight hum of hiss. If you do, report the fault as a voice fault without mentioning ADSL. Particularly, mention being able to hear other people from time to time. The standard cure for that is to swap the exchange pair - the two physical wires which connect you to the exchange. That may make things better, it may not, you can end up with a worse pair. Otherwise, just wait for the BT system to do its job.
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

Quote from: Lance on Nov 16, 2009, 22:09:13
The crosstalk has already been fixes, Sebby :)

BT don't need to know that. ;)

T_M_D

Quote from: Rik on Nov 17, 2009, 10:26:56
Hi Tina

Dial 17070 and select option 2, 'Quiet line test'. Do you hear anything there other than a slight hum of hiss. If you do, report the fault as a voice fault without mentioning ADSL. Particularly, mention being able to hear other people from time to time. The standard cure for that is to swap the exchange pair - the two physical wires which connect you to the exchange. That may make things better, it may not, you can end up with a worse pair. Otherwise, just wait for the BT system to do its job.

Hiya. Tried the test and only very slight hiss. You know, I think the BT engineer might well have swapped the exchange pair as I certainly haven't had the echos since the noise fault. I would hate to report it and end up switched back to the bad line! You know, when all's said and done, I reckon I am pretty happy with my 4Mb/s + and so I won't rock the boat. I will keep my router on 24/7 anyway and I will keep my Sky line disconnected. As long as I can do my learning stuff online and browse content-rich sites without having to make a cup of coffee waiting for pages to download and I can do stuff without regular freeze ups, what more could a girl ask for? Apart from a tall, dashing, rich guy in my stocking for Christmas maybe...? :pig:
Tina

Lance

Quote from: T_M_D on Nov 17, 2009, 22:17:17
Apart from a tall, dashing, rich guy i

Well, I'm tall and dashing. Not quite rich though!
Lance
_____

T_M_D

Quote from: Lance on Nov 17, 2009, 22:29:22

2 out of 3 isn't bad - you'll do!!!  ;D
Tina

Lance

Lance
_____

Rik

Quote from: Lance on Nov 17, 2009, 22:29:22

I'm not tall, only dash in emergencies and am not rich, so I guess that rules me out completely. :'(
Rik
--------------------

Tacitus

I think you guys should form an orderly queue......    ;D

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Sebby

T_M_D

Quote from: Rik on Nov 18, 2009, 09:58:12
I'm not tall, only dash in emergencies and am not rich, so I guess that rules me out completely. :'(

Aw, shame, I have to have at least the tall bit being 5ft 11 myself  ;D
Tina

Tacitus

Quote from: T_M_D on Nov 18, 2009, 20:15:57
Aw, shame, I have to have at least the tall bit being 5ft 11 myself  ;D

I could always stand on Yellow Pages....

T_M_D

Quote from: Tacitus on Nov 18, 2009, 20:38:43
I could always stand on Yellow Pages....

I'll start collecting them then, I had a new one delivered just the other day  :)
Tina

Lance

Lance
_____

T_M_D

Tina

Rik

Hi Tina

Put Lance down, he's spoken for. ;D
Rik
--------------------

T_M_D

Tina

Lance

Lance
_____