Domain Name Propagation

Started by zappaDPJ, Nov 21, 2009, 08:53:50

Previous topic - Next topic

zappaDPJ

Does anyone know if a domain name is likely be somewhat unstable while it propergates? I think I've just shot myself in both feet by working on a live database through a newly propergated domain name. Is it likely that the domain will propergate and remain stable for nearly 24 hours before arbitrarily b*****g off into the vacuous hole of cyberspace again?

I think I've just learned a lesson the hard way  :bawl:

zap
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Lance

I would have thought once propaganated (sp?) then it would remain live. I think the unstability is as it works it way through you get some people trying the out route and some trying the new. If you want to PM me the address, I can give it a try?

Lance
_____

JohnH

Domains can take up to 72 hours to propagate. I have often experienced sites apparently propagated on the new DNS after a short period of time, only to 'disappear' before eventually coming back.

Are you able to FTP to the new web space?

zappaDPJ

It's just come back again! ::)

Just to expand upon things, what I've actually done is to park a new domain on top of an existing one so I've always been able to access the host via the original domain. I was originally using the new domain to check that everything was resolving correctly and then started to work on an sql database forgetting to switch back to the old domain.

It appears I've borked the database which means that the 2,700 or so records that I spent all night removing no more than 10 at a time will now be restored when I upload the backup and I can do it all over again. On the other hand I might just knock myself out and go mow the lawn with a pair of nail scissors  ;D :stars: :pullface:

Thanks for the replies :)
zap
--------------------

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Colin Burns

ouch  most likey a case of the DNS server that was pulling the record fell over and the fall over cant find it.  if its on an apache server can u not access it via the 0.0.0.0/~username

kinmel

I know I keep repeating myself, but using EveryDNS completely avoids this very problem.
Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

What is the date of the referendum for England to become an independent country ?

Simon

Simon.
--

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Ray

Ray
--------------------

kinmel

Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

What is the date of the referendum for England to become an independent country ?

zappaDPJ

...and down again  ???

Would you mind giving the the URL a try for me.

This is what you are supposed to see (via the old URL) www.noncomposmentis-guild.com
This is the URL that's developed a life of its own: www.etibetapi-guild.com

zap
--------------------

Lance

Only the old URL working for me :(
Lance
_____

Simon

Simon.
--

Rik

Rik
--------------------

zappaDPJ

Thanks guys, the pattern seems to be, up for a few hours, down for an hour. I've never experienced anything like this before, all the URLs I've purchased in the past have taken a few hours to propergate and then been totally stable. As lodge appears to have experienced this I guess it's to be expected. If it doesn't stabilise by Monday I'll get on to the provider.
zap
--------------------

JohnH

Don't want to worry you but etibetapi-guild.com does not show up anywhere as being a registered domain.  :dunno:

See here

kinmel

and all the Domain sellers, such as 1and1 are offering it for sale.  :bawl:
Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

JohnH

kinmel

Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

Sebby

Quote from: kinmel on Nov 21, 2009, 12:05:12
I know I keep repeating myself, but using EveryDNS completely avoids this very problem.

I use OpenDNS. :P

zappaDPJ

Quote from: lodge on Nov 21, 2009, 16:26:46
Don't want to worry you but etibetapi-guild.com does not show up anywhere as being a registered domain.  :dunno:

See here

I'm an idiot and need to check what I type. The URL is www.etabetapi-guild.com ...which is also still up for sale  :o Since my orignal post it's started working again and then stopped... and now it's working again  ::)

It feels like a tug of war...
zap
--------------------

kinmel

Quote from: Sebby on Nov 21, 2009, 18:09:27
I use OpenDNS. :P

The DNS server of choice without a doubt, but still useless for instantaneous I.P. propagation  :P
Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

JohnH

Quote from: zappaDPJ on Nov 21, 2009, 19:06:52
The URL is www.etabetapi-guild.com ...which is also still up for sale  :o Since my orignal post it's started working again and then stopped... and now it's working again  ::)

The registration of this one looks fine and the domain is just propagating in the normal way.  :thumb:
I would be surprised if it's not fully resolved by close of play Monday.

As a rule, I have always found that .com domains take longer than .co.uk to replicate and can be a bit erratic.

Colin Burns

ive found that the IDnet DNS servers take about a billion years at times to update.  :whistle: