Recent Idnet 24mbps ADSL2+ Upgrade e-mail....

Started by netn00b, Nov 21, 2009, 12:10:14

Previous topic - Next topic

netn00b

Rik : nope its an old style master socket.

Seb : so you're saying my router is not a good one or one that has known issues ?

Gary

Quote from: netn00b on Nov 22, 2009, 20:33:15
Rik : nope its an old style master socket.

Seb : so you're saying my router is not a good one or one that has known issues ?
The v2 had the Texas AR7 chipset which may cause occasional dropouts, also that model is quite old now, there was firmware released to help fix the issues, but a later v4 which has a broadcom chipset would be more stable possible.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Sebby

Quote from: netn00b on Nov 22, 2009, 20:33:15

Yep, and more so on lines that are anything less than perfect. A Netgear DG834Gv4 (not v5) would do nicely, and I bet it would resolve a lot of your problems.

psp83

Quote from: Sebby on Nov 22, 2009, 23:12:52
A Netgear DG834Gv4 (not v5) would do nicely, and I bet it would resolve a lot of your problems.

But they are very hard to get now (v4) i went with a netgear dgn2000 that has a broadcom chipset and has been stable on my line. Plus its an adsl & adsl2+ router.

gwidnet

I've been wondering the same about upgrading to adsl2+, but I just thought I'd let you know that I was having dropouts with my old dg834g v1 router syncing at around 5200. I managed to get a dgn2000 router off ebay for £20.99 delivered (no power supply - had to get it sererately) and the line now syncs at 7904, noise margins up from 4-6 to 9, and no dropouts whatsoever.

Just in case anyone is having any issues with an older router - mine must have been 6 years old nearly, I recommend trying a router upgrade.

As far as my pings go they have been pretty stable since the wotsits were reconfigured by idnet, only on one occasion when I checked they were 200+

Glyn

best ever speedtest 01 11 2011:

Rik

Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Mohux_Jnr

I wonder if anybody can tell me if my DG834v3 is ADSL2 compatible. I have searched everywhere, including Netgears site and keep getting conflicting reports. My exchange is due to be upgraded early next year and would like to know if I need to upgrade?.

On another note, I have a D-Link DAP1522 ( wireless N ) AP plugged into the DG834 ( wired b/g ) and plan on adding another DAP bridge in another part of the house. Both the AP and Bridge will be Gig capable but will my local connection still be limited by the routers b/g speeds?. Again, I have read conflicting reports.
My current network connection in the details section lists my speed as 1.0Gbps with the single AP connected which would suggest it is not being restricted?.

Thanks in advance.

Rik

I'd certainly consider an upgrade, Mo, the v3 is a bit long in the tooth now. Your network speeds will be limited by the slowest device on them, so that means 1G for the LAN but 100Mb for the net, if I read you right.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.