Setting up a wireless "repeater"

Started by Dangerjunkie, Nov 27, 2009, 16:59:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Dangerjunkie

Hi,

I have a problem and I'd be very grateful for some input from anyone "in the know".

When we go on holiday there is a free wifi network in the park but the signal strength is low and it doesn't work inside the accomodation unless you sit right next to the window. I'm looking for a solution that would let me put some piece of kit in the 6 square feet where the Wifi works then set up a local hot-spot in the accomodation and relay the data from our laptops to the main AP outside.

I don't have any control over the public wifi or even know the device make or model so any solution that requires the master AP be programmed is a non-starter. Can anyone suggest an arrangement that would work without breaking the bank please?

Thanks,
Paul.

Rik

Does the service use any encryption, Paul?
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Dangerjunkie

No, It's plain old unsecured wifi. I just wish there was more of it ;)

kinmel

You don't need a repeater, simply use a USB wireless receiver with a USB lead of sufficient length.

Plug it into the laptop, install the drivers etc and use it as your network connection.
Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

What is the date of the referendum for England to become an independent country ?

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Dangerjunkie

That is one option (does anyone happen to know the maximum length of a USB cable?)

I'm trying to avoid doing it the cable and dongle way if I can as there are three laptops and I'd rather have an elegant solution than have draped all over the place.

I was looking at the DLINK DWL-2100AP access point but the manual says that the repeater mode can only be used when the main AP is another DLINK running the same software version. If anyone knows an access point that can repeat to dis-similar devices then that might be a winner.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

kinmel

Quote from: Dangerjunkie on Nov 27, 2009, 17:16:36
That is one option (does anyone happen to know the maximum length of a USB cable?)

You can get up to 10 metre active USB extension cables and I have had 3 strung together when necessary
Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

What is the date of the referendum for England to become an independent country ?