ADSLMax - What can IDNet Do?

Started by AndyG, May 08, 2006, 13:48:01

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyG

Hi all.  I think it might be a good idea if we could have some sort of information as to what IDNet (or any other ISP) can influence on an ADSLMax connection.  I believe they can ask to have interleaving turned off/on and also possibly ask for a line to be re-trained.  I had thought that they could ask to have a maximum sync rate set but I called last week and Miriam (I assume) told me that was not possible. Could someone get a statement from IDNet as to what they can/cannot control.

Andy

Wingco1

Does the sync rate not depend on the line quality? ???

Jeff

This is the whole point of MaxDSL. BT Wholesale sell the concept to ISPs of giving us punters up to 8MBit ADSL depending on factors including line quality, exchange contention and new (patented) technology employed by BT Wholesale which constantly monitors our lines to determine best possible sync rate.

If your local setup has changed significantly, then I believe that IDNet can approach BTw to forego another round of "training" to establish a new MSR.

IDNet can also downgrade you to a non-Max product such as 2MBit etc ... Andy, I have to ask one question though ... why?  ??? 

AndyG

Quote from: Jeff on May 09, 2006, 00:13:43
Andy, I have to ask one question though ... why?  ??? 

Hi Jeff.

I'm not really sure what you're querying here but I'll give it a go.  :D  I made the OP because I thought quite genuinely that it might be a good idea if people knew what changes were available via their ISP.  This was not a mischievous or loaded question.

On the matter of reverting to 2 Meg, I did not mention this option but it might possibly be a route I follow due to my current problem with frequent resynching on ADSLMax.  I'm currently working to isolate any local problems and trying a different router.  If I cannot sort the problem this end I will ask IDNet if they can get my noise margin raised to 9/12db at the exchange and if this cannot be done, or it does not work, I will probably pay the £15 to go back to 2 Meg.  The only doubt I have on this front is that there is talk over on ADSLGuide that BT might be intending to put everyone on ADSLMax connections in the next few months.  ???

Andy

Jeff

Andy, maybe we can help you? Details of everything from the wall to your mouse, wiring, type of filtration and cabling, hardware setup, line stats, whether your tweaked (RWIN, MTU etc), frequency of resyncs and time of day ... for starters! :D

AndyG

Hi Jeff.

I'm sorry for the delay in replying - I've been a bit busy with one thing and another.  I'm, hopefully, pretty well on top of the problem now.  Seems like Draytek Vigor 2800G routers have the habit of syncing upward once the noise margin goes above about 10db.  I'm comparing notes with other in the Draytek forum and they are seeing the same problem.  I've been onto Draytek support and they're passing my observations onto Taiwan.  Whether they solve or appreciate the problem we have yet to see.  It doesn't inspire confidence when Draytek UK cannot understand why I wouldn't want it to sync upward!  I've proved the point by using my old Zyxel router which behaves itself perfectly - I've passed this fact on to Draytek to 'concentrate their minds'.  ;D ;D

Thank you very much for your kind offer of help.

Andy