Coming back Idnet - What can I expect

Started by johnhol, Dec 07, 2009, 13:41:08

Previous topic - Next topic

johnhol

Currently on O2 LLU and move back to Idnet on Thursday and can't wait.

These are my current line stats - what can I expect.

Noise Margin:    6.1
Attenuation      28.0

Syncing at 14483

What do you think - can i expect the same with Idnet?

Simon

Can I ask why you're migrating back?  :)
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

johnhol

You can.....

I've had a few issues with O2's customer service and unhelpful support.

The speed has been generally good, the lines rarely been down though the last few months the wireless has been playing up.

Called support and performed every test they asked and still had the wireless dropping every 20 minutes - sometimes (most times) requiring a reset of the router. Honestly tried everything including changing the channel based on InSSIDers app and channel usage, moved all other electrically devices away....etc etc etc etc.

With this was also the issue of not being able to play online with FIFA10 - was a port forwarding issue and the o2 wireless box is very hit and miss as to whether this works. Mine didn't and was told tough.

When I mentioned this on the o2 bored I got sarky comments about idiot guides.....just shows some people are completely closed off to others opinions if their world is rosy....

I was actually told if I wanted more support then it would cost as second line charge £15 per issue.......ARE YOU KIDDING ME???

Always said I would move back to Idnet when they offered ADSL2+ as they were by far the best ISP I have been with - one example was I was charged twice one month due to changing the bank account - I get a call from the finance director apologising and saying the money was being refunded immediately. Had an issue one night and left a voicemail - got a call from another senior manager saying it would be sorted first thing as BT were addressing the problem (BT confirmed this ) and gave me a free Dial-up number if needed - this was 3 years ago..

Just hoping the speed is around the 14mb like i have now otherwise I may have to rethink my choice - otherwise I'll be with them until the neext jump is available - FTTC??

Rik

Hi John

Theoretically, your speeds should be about the same, but we do have to allow for BT and their profiles, so I'm guessing you'll get about 13M. Normally, I'd put the figures into a calculator, but it will just tell me that the figures won't change.

The manager you spoke to on both occasions was probably Simon, just possibly his brother Tim for one of them. They are the joint MDs - it's a very personal service round here. ;)
Rik
--------------------

johnhol

Yep, one was definitely Simon....  :thumb:

Ray

Ray
--------------------

dujas

I can't see it being a wise decision, seeing as there is nothing wrong with your connection currently. You're going to end up paying a higher monthly fee for a slightly slower downstream speed with bandwidth caps.

quandam

Take your point dujas, however, johnhol requires more from CS and feels that IDNet will provide this :dunno:

D-Dan

There's a lot to be said for knowing who you are speaking to if you have a problem, instead of a random operator in a call centre. I could probably get a similar service elsewhere for less money, but on the odd occasion I've had to call support, I like that it's like calling a friend, and not support.

Steve
Have I lost my way?

This post doesn't necessarily represent even my own opinions, let alone anyone else's

bobleslie

Well....moving back from LLU to BT.  :shake:

That's a first.  :whistle:

Mind you I sympathise with your feelings about O2 (lack of) Support.
=Bob=.
Sky/Easylink LLU. Thankfully! ;-)

Simon

Quote from: johnhol on Dec 07, 2009, 14:31:20
When I mentioned this on the o2 bored I got sarky comments about idiot guides.....just shows some people are completely closed off to others opinions if their world is rosy....

You won't get that here.  :welc:  :karma:
Simon.
--

Gary

You rea
Quote from: bobleslie on Dec 07, 2009, 21:05:09
Well....moving back from LLU to BT.  :shake:

That's a first.  :whistle:

Mind you I sympathise with your feelings about O2 (lack of) Support.
I had that issue, but on LLU I was ok, it was just there access package, if you just bought a better router you would be fine tbh, Idnet offer great service no doubt, but the O2 LLU package is hard to beat. I would just get a better router and see how that goes. Any broadcom chipset wireless router will work well with there service, the DG834N worked great, as did the Netgear V4.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

johnhol

I did by a better router though had enough of them... :mad:

They've even cut my package to Standard by the looks of it as I 'm now getting 7.8mb sync rate??? From 14???

If it's bad with Idnet then I wilkl have to go back but as it;s just a monthly based contract it's no hardship.

Gary

Quote from: johnhol on Dec 08, 2009, 11:25:44

They've even cut my package to Standard by the looks of it as I 'm now getting 7.8mb sync rate??? From 14???

If it's bad with Idnet then I wilkl have to go back but as it;s just a monthly based contract it's no hardship.
At least at Idnet you get a real person, and proper follow up help I guess, I never had any issues with O2/Be until there horrid access package when I moved, and then it was like talking to a sponge, the staff absorbed the info but you had to wring their necks to get a answer, Most things get sorted here, which is the best point about being with any small ISP, but bigger ones have LLU, swings and roundabouts, thinking about it a little more, I would prefer the customer help rather than the all you can  ;) eat
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

johnhol

Quote from: johnhol on Dec 08, 2009, 11:25:44

Amazingly it's gone back to 14803 synce rate now after complaining on the o2 forum.....surely they don't trawl the forums??

Anyway....moving tomorrow....fingers crossed - BT wholesale say I can expect 9.5mb :(

Glenn

I think they err on the side of caution
Glenn
--------------------

Colin Burns

i always thought they liked to start lying early so they can get caught out lots   :dunno:

johnhol

As you can see my connection is not right...

Syncing at 14mb though download rate of 6.5??

Was always a couple of meg below sync rate..

Rik

Can you run a BT test, that will show if it's a profile issue.
Rik
--------------------

Colin Burns

you beat me to that one rik was about to ask the very same thing

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Glenn

Coming from a LLU, does the line need to train?
Glenn
--------------------

johnhol

Quote from: Rik on Dec 10, 2009, 18:04:12
Can you run a BT test, that will show if it's a profile issue.

always get an error saying check number!!!

johnhol

full message is -

erformance Tester is unable to run the speed test for your telephone number:01895XXXXXX. Please check that it is the correct telephone number for your service. Did you follow all the instructions given on the website, before initiating the speed test. If not, then please follow all the instructions carefully and try to run the test again.If you believe it is the correct number for your service and you have followed all the instructions then please ask your Service Provider whether you can use Performance Tester to test your Broadband speed. If yes, then ask him for the Service ID of your broadband connection and try again with this Service ID along with your Telephone Number. If this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider.