Is IDNET now poor value for money ?

Started by cs2008, Dec 09, 2009, 11:46:12

Previous topic - Next topic

cs2008

I have been with IDNET for several years now, and the customer service and reliability has always been good.  I'm on the Home Lite package which provides 5GB inclusive downloads for £17.61/month.

Recently however, I have noticed that NewNet, who seem to be rated just as highly as IDNET, are offering 12GB downloads on their Home M package at £16.59/month.  Does anyone have any experience of NewNet, and does anyone else feel that IDNET are now very uncompetitive ?

Chris.

Rik

I don't think IDNet are uncompetitive, Chris, taking the overall package, ie including the level of service. There are cheaper ISPs, of course. I would suggest you don't make any firm decisions until January. Can you move to WBC?
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

cs2008

Rik,

No unfortunately, my local exchange does not currently support ADSL2+.

Chris.

Rik

Shame. Well, as I say, I'd wait a month or so before making a decision.
Rik
--------------------

Baz

Quote from: Rik on Dec 09, 2009, 13:02:14
Shame. Well, as I say, I'd wait a month or so before making a decision.

??? ??? ???

you heard some thing Rik??

Glenn

BT are changing their pricing in January, then we need to wait to see how the ISP's react.

I asked the same question last week, when Rik mentioned it.
Glenn
--------------------

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

talos

Just heard on the news, the 50p broadband tax is to be implemented :mad:

Rik

Let's just call it a tax, Bob, like motoring taxes, I have a feeling little will be used for the claimed purpose.
Rik
--------------------

Inkblot

Quote from: cs2008 on Dec 09, 2009, 11:46:12
I have been with IDNET for several years now, and the customer service and reliability has always been good.  I'm on the Home Lite package which provides 5GB inclusive downloads for £17.61/month.

Recently however, I have noticed that NewNet, who seem to be rated just as highly as IDNET, are offering 12GB downloads on their Home M package at £16.59/month.  Does anyone have any experience of NewNet, and does anyone else feel that IDNET are now very uncompetitive ?

Chris.

I was with NewNet for a few years before coming to IDNet. Good company and in some ways similar to IDNet - fairly small (Esp. compared with the 'big boys'), very good service and (In my opinion) good value for money. Only reason I changed was that they modified their bandwidth caps downwards and the package I was on was no longer suitable for me. Having said that, I'm pleased that I changed as the service here is as good if not better, prices are good and reliability is 1st class!

Tacitus

NewNet counts upload as well as download, so the allowances aren't quite as generous as they first appear.  That said if you don't upload many pictures to a web site it might be worth the move.

I did consider them before moving to iDNet.  The stumbling block was they said there was no weekend support period, whereas iDNet do appear to have a rota system for emergencies (= loss of service).  Given they do a lot of business stuff - particularly hosting - I imagine there is someone there 24/7, so I can't see why there shouldn't be a skeleton staff available on the broadband side.  Still that's a business decision for them.

One place they do score is on hosting.  Take a look at their PowerHosting packages.  If you want your own domain mainly for email, the base package is not bad value.  Not as cheap as PurpleCloud, but not drastically overpriced IMO and, from a firm with a good rep. 

There are rumours around that BT are revising their pricing in the New Year, so it may be that iDNet will be revising their packages.  From past example I imagine this will be in the form of greater allowances rather than price cuts, so it might be worth holding fire for a while.

quandam

If you pay yearly and wish to cancel early NewNet will not refund the difference, you lose the lot  :eek4: Whereas IDNet still maintain the one month cancellation contract :thumb:

talos

I've been with a few providers and all despite their promises turned out to be rubbish, until I joined Idnet.    Yes they are dearer than some,  but I get what I pay for, and at the moment reliability is worth the price but of course nothing is set in stone.

Lona

I am perfectly happy with Idnet but I have to say Zen was also a great Isp.  I only moved because of the download limit on Zen.

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Tacitus

In the end it all depends on what you regard as 'value for money'.  One person's 'value' is someone else's 'rip-off'. 

Too often people regard 'cheap' and 'value' as meaning the same thing.

Gary

Quote from: Tacitus on Dec 10, 2009, 08:09:59
In the end it all depends on what you regard as 'value for money'.  One person's 'value' is someone else's 'rip-off'. 

Too often people regard 'cheap' and 'value' as meaning the same thing.

Very true, and then they cry and shout when it goes wrong  :(
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Broadback

Nothing is perfect, not even my ignorance!

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

Broadback

Then, like my fathers watch, I might not be able to get it back together again!
Nothing is perfect, not even my ignorance!

talos

Just had another bulletin from Idnet on the RS feed,  it seems more problems, loss of service Etc, they seem to be getting more frequent :dunno: , I realise they are not Idnet problems but down to BT in most cases, but is this a sign of things to come, I do hope not :eyebrow:

Glenn

Quote from: Broadback on Dec 10, 2009, 09:27:22
Then, like my fathers watch, I might not be able to get it back together again!

And my brother, with his radio
Glenn
--------------------

Tacitus

Quote from: talos on Dec 10, 2009, 09:27:25
Just had another bulletin from Idnet on the RS feed,  it seems more problems, loss of service Etc, they seem to be getting more frequent :dunno: , I realise they are not Idnet problems but down to BT in most cases, but is this a sign of things to come, I do hope not :eyebrow:

There have been major outages with LINX and Telehouse in London, which is currently affecting a lot of ISPs.  I received notification from my hosting company.

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

Rik

You wouldn't naturally associate Mill Hill with Watford, would you.
Rik
--------------------

Glenn

At a guess, someone has cut the cable  :red:
Glenn
--------------------